Florida’s Vernon Hargreaves is the most polished CB the SEC has ever seen

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Safeties are still allowed to hit hard. They just have to hit below the neck and wrap em up. No more leading with the head and using their helmet as a weapon. It's not that big of a change.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r said:
Safeties are still allowed to hit hard. They just have to hit below the neck and wrap em up. No more leading with the head and using their helmet as a weapon. It's not that big of a change.
The problem is that we've had 5'8 safeties trying to play the role of 6'2 safeties.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n22560 said:
We will be WAY better at safety this year.

I think you are right. I think we will be better if not excellent at safety and MLBs. I'm not sold on DTs yet. I think we just have bodies in there so far. Hoping one of the freshmen really come on. DE and CB will be good I expect but we have depth issues even there so a key injury could really be a problem.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n22594 said:
I think you are right. I think we will be better if not excellent at safety and MLBs. I'm not sold on DTs yet. I think we just have bodies in there so far. Hoping one of the freshmen really come on. DE and CB will be good I expect but we have depth issues even there so a key injury could really be a problem.

I think Gerald Willis will get PT at both DE and DT. Sort of like Easley and Floyd. I'm really surprised that Caleb Brantley hasn't come into his own yet. We've gotten some really good DT talent but it hasn't translated to the field yet. Not sure why. Khairi Clark has the size but it's rare for Freshman to get PT and he's always had weight issues so I'm not sure he'll see PT this year.

I would assume Bostwick and Orr will be the two main ones at DT. They've looked good in camp (which coaches always say...) but neither has shown dominant DT traits IMO. But we do seem to have significant depth. Our best DT recruiting classes have been the last 2 years. The 2 years before that were mediocre.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n22559 said:
It's sad that the new rules have taken aggressive safety play out of CFB entirely. Especially since I have so many fond memories of past UF safeties rocking peoples world. Regarding last years safety play, I believe Riggs was in the picture but so short you couldn't see him. IMO Watkins should have been a CB and Purifoy should have been a safety.
That's a low blow.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;22559 said:
It's sad that the new rules have taken aggressive safety play out of CFB entirely. Especially since I have so many fond memories of past UF safeties rocking peoples world. Regarding last years safety play, I believe Riggs was in the picture but so short you couldn't see him. IMO Watkins should have been a CB and Purifoy should have been a safety.

Purifoy should've been a Wide Receiver.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n22600 said:
I think Gerald Willis will get PT at both DE and DT. Sort of like Easley and Floyd. I'm really surprised that Caleb Brantley hasn't come into his own yet. We've gotten some really good DT talent but it hasn't translated to the field yet. Not sure why. Khairi Clark has the size but it's rare for Freshman to get PT and he's always had weight issues so I'm not sure he'll see PT this year.

I would assume Bostwick and Orr will be the two main ones at DT. They've looked good in camp (which coaches always say...) but neither has shown dominant DT traits IMO. But we do seem to have significant depth. Our best DT recruiting classes have been the last 2 years. The 2 years before that were mediocre.

Brantley's main deal is inconsistency and bringing it on every play, happens with a lot of kids who are dominant in HS due to size alone.FWIW TG over on 24/7 thinks and has said a number of times that he thinks both Bostwick and Brantley are closer than the coaches are saying. Clark has dropped a lot of the babyfat and extra weight he was carrying as far as I could tell from pics I've seen since he reported. The kid also put in a lot of time in the weight room over spring so if he can get the playbook down he should be a good fill in. You forgot Cummings and Holling, Cummings was playing real good in spring and most agree that Hollings will contribute this season. Orr has struggled with injuries his entire career, last year before the wrist he was in and out all season with back spasms and other problems as per Zach. Supposedly he perfectly healthy this year so we'll see.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;n22655 said:
Brantley's main deal is inconsistency and bringing it on every play, happens with a lot of kids who are dominant in HS due to size alone.FWIW TG over on 24/7 thinks and has said a number of times that he thinks both Bostwick and Brantley are closer than the coaches are saying. Clark has dropped a lot of the babyfat and extra weight he was carrying as far as I could tell from pics I've seen since he reported. The kid also put in a lot of time in the weight room over spring so if he can get the playbook down he should be a good fill in. You forgot Cummings and Holling, Cummings was playing real good in spring and most agree that Hollings will contribute this season. Orr has struggled with injuries his entire career, last year before the wrist he was in and out all season with back spasms and other problems as per Zach. Supposedly he perfectly healthy this year so we'll see.
Great wrap up. So we obviously have the bodies. It would be nice to see consistent pressure.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I think if Orr and Cummings stay healthy we could have a decent defensive line. They don't get a ton of pressure but are good run stoppers and screen stuffers similar to Omar Hunter in 2012. I think a lot of our pass rush this year will come from McAlister and Cox rushing opposite of Fowler. Brantley looked huge in the spring game, hopefully he turns into the stud DT we thought he would. Willis, I think will find his way on the field, he seems to play mad and I think that will help him adjust to the level of play. The other new comers will probably take a year or 2 to develop IMO.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
I think if Orr and Cummings stay healthy we could have a decent defensive line. They don't get a ton of pressure but are good run stoppers and screen stuffers similar to Omar Hunter in 2012. I think a lot of our pass rush this year will come from McAlister and Cox rushing opposite of Fowler. Brantley looked huge in the spring game, hopefully he turns into the stud DT we thought he would. Willis, I think will find his way on the field, he seems to play mad and I think that will help him adjust to the level of play. The other new comers will probably take a year or 2 to develop IMO.
So are you going to get your own avatar?

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous said:

This should work!
Egyptian-Makeshift-helmets3.jpg

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Concrete Helmet said:
Sorry Dude,am I in trouble ? I haven't thought of a good one yet. I'm an old timer that is not very tech savvy, however I will get on it after my next golden soda. By the way why does this thing time me out so quickly ?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
NavetG8r said:
oxrageous said:

This should work!
Egyptian-Makeshift-helmets3.jpg
That looks like the hat I wear when I'm working in the yard or fishing.......perfect !!!! Since that's about all I ever do anymore.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n22743 said:

You hit it on the head there, Cox jr and Mcallister, if Cox continues to come on and play the way he has , they'll swing Bullard into the middle with a big ugly, them we'll have either end, who both run a 4.6 and a slightly slower Bullard up the middle. Should be a match up nightmare for an OC, who do you double? Cox and leave Fowler and Bullard , or Fowler and leave Cox and Bullard. And that leaves McAllister, who intrigues the hell out of me he's what 6'7" and runs a 4.6? Having him come around the corner should stop any QB from trying to pass over or around him.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Not trying to sound weird, but threads like this are why this board is great. There is a lot of perspectives that add to our understanding of our team. I think VHIII will go down as one of the best CBs in Gator history and will be as good or better as Joe Haden in the pros. I'm excited for this kid.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
JC_Gator;n22818 said:
Not trying to sound weird, but threads like this are why this board is great. There is a lot of perspectives that add to our understanding of our team. I think VHIII will go down as one of the best CBs in Gator history and will be as good or better as Joe Haden in the pros. I'm excited for this kid.

In a nutshell it's nice to know what other Gator junkies like us know and what their perspective is on topics. I'm sure that as in my case most of it is rehashed from stuff I pickup in the media but it's nice to know what other hardcore fans think of this info. I know I don't have any insider info coming from the players or coaches themselves so I find it nice to have a place where others help decipher what is fact and what is media created filler and fluff.
By the way I agree with your opinion on VH3, his technique is beyond his years but Haden and Jenkins were a stellar combo here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.