Florida Football 2016: 5 players the Gators’ defense will struggle against

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
http://hailfloridahail.com/2016/08/...-defense-will-struggle-against-this-season/3/

1. Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

2. Nick Chubb, RB , Georgia
3. Jalen Hurd, RB, Tennessee
4. Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennessee
5. Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

Joshua Dobbs, QB, Tennessee

Spoiler alert: Joshua Dobbs is the only quarterback who made the list.

When it is all said and done, Dobbs could end up winning a Heisman in 2016. In the process, he could end up leading the Volunteers to a national championship. Tennessee is that talented this season, and so is Dobbs.
In 2015, he racked up 2,291 passing yards and 15 touchdowns. He also had 671 rushing yards and 11 more TDs on the ground. Yes, he 100 percent has dual-threat abilities — it’s all in the stats.

Time will tell if the Volunteers are worth the hype. Make no mistake about it, though, Dobbs is one to watch out for all season long.
For the record, the QB had 83 passing yards and 136 rushing yards against the Gators in 2015. In 2016, Dobbs & Co. get the Gators at home. To make matters even worse, the next player on this list is also a Volunteer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I think this guy must have brain damage with his write up on Dobbs and thinking Tenn could win a national championship. Dobbs is a mediocre passing QB at best.

Fournette is the obvious # 1 choice since he ran all over us the last 2 years even with us stacking the line some but we do get them at home.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Dobbs is nowhere near the talent that Watson from Clemson is.

He isn't the type of quarterback that you can put the game on his shoulders, especially if teams load up against the run and MAKE.FKN.TACKLES. when they get their hands on Dobbs and Hurd.

It's nauseating the way all of the national media are giving infinite fellatio to Tennessee, and simultaneously acting like we're chopped liver. It'll just make blowing them out up there in a few weeks all that more special.

:chomp:

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
1191763_o.gif

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
UF's biggest weakness will probably be stopping the run against the big RB/OL's. UF's Dline is undersized in the interior with little depth at true DT position.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Jawja has no quarterback. We can load the box to stop them. Unless there is an injury, I don't see them as a problem. And how in the hell did Sony Michel make it over Cook? This guy is a bonehead.

Go Gata

Founding Member
aka Emersom Bigguns
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The author is from Colorado and is an alum of Colorado State Univ. What the hell does he know that any of us couldn't find out by reading last year's stat sheets and this year's returning starters?

Cook will be a challenge and leaving him off the list is moronic.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
my God, you'd think we didn't have any linebackers. if we can stay a good five deep at this position (Davis, Anzalone, McMillan, Reese, Johnson), our deep DL will get plenty of run stopping support.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

When it is all said and done, Dobbs could end up winning a Heisman in 2016.
Someone is out of their mind.

Dobbs is terrible. He's less accurate than Driskel and half the runner.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
my God, you'd think we didn't have any linebackers. if we can stay a good five deep at this position (Davis, Anzalone, McMillan, Reese, Johnson), our deep DL will get plenty of run stopping support.
McMillan won't be on the field.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Perhaps this guy is only addressing the SEC schedule?

#1... and #2 (pending his ACL) are legit.

I'll admit, we didn't do a great job of stopping dobbs and hurd last year. However, I wonder what the stats would look like if you took away those trick plays. I'm hoping our D plays smarter this year.

And Sony? I think he got dinged a bit last year, which may have helped us. However, if he's legit on this top 5 list, then the rest of our opposition must really not be much to speak of.

We have a deep pool of DL, but most are a bit lighter than we'd like to see. If Anzalone can stay healthy, the front 7 might be just fine with an adequate rotation.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Sony Michel broke his arm and missed a bunch of spring practice this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
if that turns out to be the case, then we will have crushed it at the LB position this season. and don't forget Maye coming up to make people hate their lives.
That's the point. They view moving Maye or another DB into the box as being preferable than having him on the field.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
That's the point. They view moving Maye or another DB into the box as being preferable than having him on the field.

I heard he finally added a little weight. Is he struggling with his assignments? Too slow? What's holding him back?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He looked good a true freshman. I really don't know.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I heard he finally added a little weight. Is he struggling with his assignments? Too slow? What's holding him back?

he's between 220-225 right now, listed as strong side backer. i'd heard that we'll primarily stick with the two LB look we went with last year, but i've also heard comments from coaches saying they feel good about using him if we go with a three LB set.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Right. And in a two LB set, you lose the Strong LB for a nickel. That's what I meant by we won't see him because there isn't going to be much PT for the #2 Sam and we obviously prefer to play a DB instead of our sams.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
he's between 220-225 right now, listed as strong side backer. i'd heard that we'll primarily stick with the two LB look we went with last year, but i've also heard comments from coaches saying they feel good about using him if we go with a three LB set.

I think they also have tried him out at nickel. Crazy as it sounds, when the offense lines up with extra WRs, but they have fournette or chubb as the RB, that might be a great idea as long as the LB has decent coverage skills.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I see nothing wrong with the article, the guy can have his opinion and I do not disagree with him. Both Hurd and Dobbs rushed for over 100 yds. against UF last year I believe and can see that happening again this year. Regardless of year and who wears the jersey, UF never has had great success stopping a run first QB. Same can be said for a sturdy, power running game, which is why the Arkansas game could easily be a loss in my opinion. I am not sold on our D-Coordinator as I see too many guys out of gaps and position way too often under his direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.