Former Arkansas QB Ryan Mallet dead at 35

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Respect the Ocean. Look at your surroundings for bearings and notice landmarks on the beach and places where waves are breaking and where they are not breaking. You can't always see a rip but a lot of times they are obvious IF you take the time before blindly walking/floating out from the Beach. As a surfer we look for them to help us get through the breaking waves closer to the beach and to where the set waves break on the outside during bigger swells.

I've spent close to 50 years surfing and fishing the waters from Ponce Inlet to Sebastian Inlet and can tell you I've seen sh!t happen to people that were totally unaware of their surrounding......that said I've also been humbled by the sea when trying to run through the Inlets during an outgoing tide in a 16 foot flats skiff when I didn't pay attention to the times of the outgoing tides....I've also had my surfboard leash broke in double overhead Hurricane surf north of Sebastian Inlet and held down by a wave that rolled and twisted me to the point where I didn't know which way was up, swam to the bottom and got a face full of sand before barely making it back to the surface....stuck in the trough for about 10 minutes(seemed like an hour) and then tossed on the beach right next to my broken surfboard....I'm a strong swimmer and was in the fittest shape of my life or very near it.

Moral of the story is if you're not sure or in an unfamiliar beach/river/inlet, know before you go.... Be safe this holiday and summer...

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I’m used to seeing rip currents on Atlantic beaches, but not the Gulf. But I’m used to Anna Maria & south to Boca Grande. Is this normal for the panhandle?
Yes. Teenaged years in Walton and Okaloosa counties. Plenty of rip currents back in the early 80s.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Now it’s being reported that it was a yellow flag day; no rip tide.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not exactly sure where he was at, but if it was PC Beach I can assure you it was double red with rip. It's been that way almost the whole summer. Very unusual but is currently the case.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The tmz article says "Destin area".
I'm not exactly sure where he was at, but if it was PC Beach I can assure you it was double red with rip. It's been that way almost the whole summer. Very unusual but is currently the case.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also, I know there were two other incidents one at blue mountain beach and one at Miramar. I know someone that witnessed one of them.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Chilling bodycam footage from moments before Ryan Mallet's death reveals new details

Despite the best efforts of lifeguard and local police, they were unable to get to Mallet in time- he is said to have stopped breathing when the lifeguard rescue team managed to pull him out of the water. He was allegedly trying to swim to a second sandbar which was located roughly 150 meters from the shore.

Despite riptides being initially quoted as the cause of death, recent developments suggest otherwise. Sheriff Eric Aden revealed on Wednesday that there was no indication of dangerous conditions the day Mallet lost his life.

Booze?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator