Former Arkansas QB Ryan Mallet dead at 35

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’m used to seeing rip currents on Atlantic beaches, but not the Gulf. But I’m used to Anna Maria & south to Boca Grande. Is this normal for the panhandle?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’m used to seeing rip currents on Atlantic beaches, but not the Gulf. But I’m used to Anna Maria & south to Boca Grande. Is this normal for the panhandle?
rip currents are for sure, but there is an unusual amount right now. if you ask me, it's not rip currents, it's morons going in the water on double red flag days, which all of this has occurred under. I'm not sure how they run their schit show over in PCB/Destin, but here on P'cola Beach, they are absolute Nazis about keeping everyone out of the water on double red.... on that note, headed to the beach now to pick up my Blue Angel weekend parking passes!

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
I took my son to Indian Rocks Beach for a few days last week, and the currents there were way stronger than normal.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
rip currents are for sure, but there is an unusual amount right now. if you ask me, it's not rip currents, it's morons going in the water on double red flag days, which all of this has occurred under. I'm not sure how they run their schit show over in PCB/Destin, but here on P'cola Beach, they are absolute Nazis about keeping everyone out of the water on double red.... on that note, headed to the beach now to pick up my Blue Angel weekend parking passes!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

They’ve blasted anyone who surfed during hurricanes my whole life. As Detroit said, it’s really about people not being smart. Just randomly swimming in that kind of condition, disregarding warnings, especially when it’s foreign to you(guy’s from Arkansas) is really the issue here.

And @Born2beagator, I understand rip currents. As I mentioned, I just wasn’t aware that they were that bad on the gulf side.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Also, isn’t Okaloosa county like 2-3 counties over from Destin. Did I misread that it was their sheriff’s office that reported the death?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Yes, but on Pensacola Beach, along it's entire length (not just the fully public areas), both the Life Guards and Sheriffs office run up and down the beach on ATVs making sure people stay out of the water... now what will be interesting is 4th of July and Blue Angel weekend coming up if it's red.

Also, regarding the sand bar, the article says "second sand bar." I have no idea how far out from shore that is, but on P'cola Beach, our sand bar is definitely further out than 50-75 yards and yes, people go out to them all the time.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017

Did it change? I haven't been back in 12-14 years, but last time I was there the cops were telling people not to swim. I went in anyway. I am an adult and knew the risks. The head cop told me to get out or else. I talked calmly to him and told him he did not have the authority to prevent me from entering the water. He quietly agreed with me and then changed tack to plead with me not to go in b/c tourists might follow me in.

Do you know if the rule changed?

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Yes, but on Pensacola Beach, along it's entire length (not just the fully public areas), both the Life Guards and Sheriffs office run up and down the beach on ATVs making sure people stay out of the water... now what will be interesting is 4th of July and Blue Angel weekend coming up if it's red.

Also, regarding the sand bar, the article says "second sand bar." I have no idea how far out from shore that is, but on P'cola Beach, our sand bar is definitely further out than 50-75 yards and yes, people go out to them all the time.
I really couldn't remember the length to it. Long time ago. I lived there 91-96 and then went back for visits. Probably 100 yards easy. The second one was much further out. I never went that far without gear.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Did it change? I haven't been back in 12-14 years, but last time I was there the cops were telling people not to swim. I went in anyway. I am an adult and knew the risks. The head cop told me to get out or else. I talked calmly to him and told him he did not have the authority to prevent me from entering the water. He quietly agreed with me and then changed tack to plead with me not to go in b/c tourists might follow me in.

Do you know if the rule changed?
Technically/legally that may still be correct, I haven't personally seen anyone refuse. As you know, we don't have the same "tourist" problems as PCB/Destin... we get more families than young people, therefore, probably smarter in the first place, more respectful of being "asked" as well. I just know for fact that they will run the beach constantly on red days. When I first started coming here 90-93 (when we were at UF, we'd come here with UF friends from here for long weekends, Michigan was to far), on red days, you'd still see some surfers out on the east and west ends (our friends included, it was a SURF day in P'cola!), sometimes by the pier. We've lived here since 2004 now, and I have NEVER seen surfers out there anywhere on red days which leads me to believe it might be more than an "ask" here now (sounds like Bay County is still definitely a "plead").

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yes. Plenty of red flag days.

Happened in my home town. We know he was more athletic than the average swimmer. Just goes to show how strong the currents can be. RIP

I remember a poor young HS girl from Louisiana being fatally bitten on the leg by a Bull shark. Died on the beach. Really tragic, as well.

God is cruel.

Last edited:

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Technically/legally that may still be correct, I haven't personally seen anyone refuse. As you know, we don't have the same "tourist" problems as PCB/Destin... we get more families than young people, therefore, probably smarter in the first place, more respectful of being "asked" as well. I just know for fact that they will run the beach constantly on red days. When I first started coming here 90-93 (when we were at UF, we'd come here with UF friends from here for long weekends, Michigan was to far), on red days, you'd still see some surfers out on the east and west ends (our friends included, it was a SURF day in P'cola!), sometimes by the pier. We've lived here since 2004 now, and I have NEVER seen surfers out there anywhere on red days which leads me to believe it might be more than an "ask" here now (sounds like Bay County is still definitely a "plead").

They did that back then too. I felt bad for the officer, but I went back in. I was only there for that day and I was gonna swim.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Had a place on the ocean for years. My family including me are expert swimmers. We know how to deal with rip currents. I'm trying to figure out what else was going on. I didn't go out in 35mph nor'easters, but other than that I swam when I wanted to.

The funniest thing is when the Yankees were in the Ocean and a little rain storm came up...no thunder...no lightning. They ran for cover like their lives depended on it. I never figured out that logic. They were already wet...wtf?????

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

532a073d-2f1f-46aa-a6db-ac0eed2070d5-wonderful-time.gif

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
Volusia County irritates me by spending millions on beach patrol that ride 4 wheelers and drive trucks instead of having a lifeguard sit on a tower chair. All these tourists in the water and no lifeguard. Taxes go to supplement the eternal loss of revenue from toll booths. (They cost more to operate than they ever bring in.) They could make the beach free and hire more lifeguards for the same cost. Recently the sheriff deputies began patrolling the beach, maybe that will help decrease drownings by putting lifeguards where they belong.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Volusia County irritates me by spending millions on beach patrol that ride 4 wheelers and drive trucks instead of having a lifeguard sit on a tower chair. All these tourists in the water and no lifeguard. Taxes go to supplement the eternal loss of revenue from toll booths. (They cost more to operate than they ever bring in.) They could make the beach free and hire more lifeguards for the same cost. Recently the sheriff deputies began patrolling the beach, maybe that will help decrease drownings by putting lifeguards where they belong.

Apparently, the life guards in Daytona used to drag the red lifeguard towers back to the dune line or sea wall and leave them overnight.

I may have climbed up into one of those towers with a young lady in the wee hours.

iu

Alex.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Also, isn’t Okaloosa county like 2-3 counties over from Destin. Did I misread that it was their sheriff’s office that reported the death?
I think Destin is in Okaloosa county. Ft. Walton is. Always confusing since Walton County is right there too. Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, Bay on the coast.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I think Destin is in Okaloosa county. Ft. Walton is. Always confusing since Walton County is right there too. Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Walton, Bay on the coast.
Correct, it gets a bit confusing for simple people because Ft Walton/Ft Walton Beach are in Okaloosa County, not Walton County. PCB is in Bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator