Four Gators Change Positions

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Also correct. Just to really put into perspective, he inherited GC and AC Leonard, then signed Thompson and Taylor. Their TE rankings out of HS were #3, #2, #3 and #6. And by 2014, we were relegated to playing a two star converted defensive end at that position. You can’t script that type of incompetency.
Were their rankings inflated or staff couldn't coach then work them into the scheme? I recall being well pleased with our TE recruiting.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Mullen and Napier did something Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain never did... lose to Kentucky

This is where I deviate from you and law. I can agree wholeheartedly on Vanderbilt last year, and am not excusing how we lost to Uk this season. But of all the areas I can point to and be livid with how Napier and Mullen handled their time here, the losses to Uk(specifically ‘18 and ‘22) are far down on my list. I hate it as much as you guys, but the simple fact is these are much better Kentucky teams than what we’ve seen historically, and all three of those guys you mentioned squeaked by on multiple occasions. When you play with fire that many times, it will inevitably burn you at some point. The issue I have isn’t so much Mullen and Napier losing those games first year. My issue is the admin allowing us to get to a point where the talent disparity is so narrow that it could happen. Both deserve firing, but for much more egregious things than losing to recent Uk teams, imo.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
My issue is the admin allowing us to get to a point where the talent disparity is so narrow that it could happen.
When you say admin, do you mean UAA or the coaches that have failed to recruit and develop talent? I'm thinking there are quite a few staffs that, if were at UF, we don't lose to Kentucky past two years, even if talent is equal more or less. I see Kentucky as a middlin program whose staff trained their players better. Although, two years ago, no doubt Richardson's errors prevented us from the chance to win a close game.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is where I deviate from you and law. I can agree wholeheartedly on Vanderbilt last year, and am not excusing how we lost to Uk this season. But of all the areas I can point to and be livid with how Napier and Mullen handled their time here, the losses to Uk(specifically ‘18 and ‘22) are far down on my list. I hate it as much as you guys, but the simple fact is these are much better Kentucky teams than what we’ve seen historically, and all three of those guys you mentioned squeaked by on multiple occasions. When you play with fire that many times, it will inevitably burn you at some point. The issue I have isn’t so much Mullen and Napier losing those games first year. My issue is the admin allowing us to get to a point where the talent disparity is so narrow that it could happen. Both deserve firing, but for much more egregious things than losing to recent Uk teams, imo.

I actually believe that Mullen losing to them his first year is worse than either of the two loses by Napier. Because the excuse was we were down a linebacker (due to suspension) we knew we were going to be down since the beginning of august. And we didn't adjust our scheme at all, knowing they had a 50% passer at qb. Just screams ego as he had the players to move to a 5-2, or a beefed up 4-4/4-3. But no lets run a 4-2 or 3-2 because we are down a starting linebacker. They beat us like Mrs Durty beats Durty if he doesn't come home with enough money working the corner.

overall, yes, we were playing with fire, the previous year 2017, we won because Kentucky decided not to cover a wr twice inside the five on two different drives.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
The thing you have to remember about Will Muschamp, and really what it all boils down to is, he's semi-retarded.
My entire life my father and past 15 years or so my wife and him have both told me I'm "semi-retarded". So here's a solid fuch you from the special needs community for lumping that goat fuching bastard in with us.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
, but the simple fact is these are much better Kentucky teams than what we’ve seen historically,
UK were 3-5, and would have lost by 40 points to the Hal Mumme teams.

They are a steaming pile of garbage, we're just worse.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
UK were 3-5, and would have lost by 40 points to the Hal Mumme teams.

They are a steaming pile of garbage, we're just worse.

They were not good this year, no question, which is why I didn’t include the ‘23 loss as excusable. And yes, I referenced our being garbage as a major reason why the series has become competitive. It started when we began our decline. My point is they are consistently a solid team under Stoops, and they won 10 games twice recently, something they hadn’t done since the 70s. Also, none of the three head coaches mentioned(Zook, WM or McElwain) played against Mumme. But even he didn’t win 10 games. So I’m not sure what you’re arguing. I still think you’re terrific though. If I were in Ohio right now, and managed to get past the temptation to hang myself in my hotel room, I’d definitely consider doing lunch.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Your first impulse is usually right.

Btw, don’t disagree on the IQ comment above. I didn’t think it was possible we’d ever have a dumber coach than WM. But given what’s transpired over the last 26 months, it would be tough to argue that we don’t.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Btw, don’t disagree on the IQ comment above. I didn’t think it was possible we’d ever have a dumber coach than WM. But given what’s transpired over the last 26 months, it would be tough to argue that we don’t.
he isnt as visibly stupid as chump is behind a microphone and podium, but his on and off field decisions say hes at least twice the retard. at least chump tried to identify someone to get the offense going and changed course when his chosen guy didnt pan out. this moron lays a steaming turd on the 50 yd line, then tells us all the offense is great and keeps doing the same thing.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty much single-handedly cost us two games in 2014.

Also, we have a 6th year Sr, a rising RSSoph, and a top HS recruit in front of him, plus two others. That move doesn’t make sense to me. I’d rather see him take time and eventually grow into a solid DL player than watch him sit as a 4th string TE.

And ended the Muschamp error. I’m forever grateful

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
And ended the Muschamp error. I’m forever grateful

Actually that would be Dunbar’s hold against USce. Those 10 yards(let’s be honest, no offense is built to overcome 1st and 20) were enough of a push back to cause the FG block. That would’ve sealed it for us. Instead, it sealed it for him and he was gone within 24 hours. Thanks again, Quinton.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Actually that would be Dunbar’s hold against USce. Those 10 yards(let’s be honest, no offense is built to overcome 1st and 20) were enough of a push back to cause the FG block. That would’ve sealed it for us. Instead, it sealed it for him and he was gone within 24 hours. Thanks again, Quinton.
It is never just one play. Especially when you have a coach who designs a game plan that avoids all hints of offense.

SOS didn't flinch at 1&20. Neither did UM.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
4 players change positions............ on the Bench.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.