Four Perfect 16-team power conferences (updated)

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Edit Ok I fixed it. Below are the new Conferences:
Four 16 team Power conferences, 4 Conference Champ games, 2 playoffs, 1 NC

ACC 16
Clemson
Florida State
Louisville
North Carolina State
Syracuse
Wake Forest
Boston College
TCU

North Carolina
Pittsburgh
Miami (FL)
Duke
Virginia Tech
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Baylor

BIG 16
Ohio State
Michigan State
Michigan
Penn State
Indiana
Rutgers
Maryland
ND

Iowa
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Minnesota
Illinois
Purdue
BYU

PAC 16
Stanford
Washington State
Oregon
California
Washington
Oregon State
Texas
Boise State

Utah
UCLA
USC
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Texas Tech
Houston

SEC 16
Alabama
Ole Miss
LSU
Mississippi State
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Auburn
Oklahoma State

Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Kentucky
Missouri
Vanderbilt
South Carolina
Oklahoma

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Vandy can go. Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Duke, Boston College, Iowa State.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Just to many teams left out with 64. Five 14 team conferences with an eight team playoff and college football will be perfect.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I'm bored so I thought I'd create four 16 team Power conferences:
Assume disillusion of Big 12
SEC adds OK and OK State
Pac 12 adds Texas, Iowa State, BYU and Boise State
Big 10 adds Kansas, Kansas State
ACC adds ND and WVU

Did I leave out anyone important?

Or just start from scratch.

The Big 12 is already disillusioned. But dissolution is just around the corner.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Just to many teams left out with 64. Five 14 team conferences with an eight team playoff and college football will be perfect.

Five conference winners with 3 at large?

I'm not a fan of expanding playoffs at all; no reason a 2-3 loss team should be included.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I'm in favor of no conferences and force everyone to play everyone. Take about 40 teams and create a bracket system like A: Would be your elite level teams B: would be your teams that are right on the cusp every year C: would be your teams that do descent ever year but rarely contend for playoff spots. D: would be your teams that never really compete for championships but every now and then beat a few teams they shouldn't.

Take each team and make them play 3 teams from each bracket and rotate every year. 4 teams with the best records against the best schedule at the end of the year makes the playoff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm bored so I thought I'd create four 16 team Power conferences:
Assume disillusion of Big 12
SEC adds OK and OK State
Pac 12 adds Texas, Iowa State, BYU and Boise State
Big 10 adds Kansas, Kansas State
ACC adds ND and WVU

Did I leave out anyone important?

Or just start from scratch.
You lost me at ACC adds WVU....

That would never happen. WVU tried everything including political pressures and bribery last time and didnt get even a sniff of interest. After taking Clown State, I dont think the ACC will ever take another glorified community college.

I also have no interest in seeing the importance of regular season cheapened by adding 8 teams to the playoff. Some years the 8 might include Ugly or Cowbell type team that finished 3rd in their division. That's a joke. Take the four highest ranked CHAMPIONS and no one else. Lost in the conference championship game? Tough shyt. You lost in the first round of the playoffs.

In college football, weeks 1-12 matter and are part of the playoffs.

You people are fvkking nuts if you want the CFB season to be as meaningless and unwatched as the CBK season.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Not concerned with who gets "left out". Concerned with who belongs in the big leagues. Weed out the weaklings.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
You lost me at ACC adds WVU....

That would never happen. WVU tried everything including political pressures and bribery last time and didnt get even a sniff of interest. After taking Clown State, I dont think the ACC will ever take another glorified community college.

I also have no interest in seeing the importance of regular season cheapened by adding 8 teams. Some years the too 8 might include Ugly or Cowbell type team that finished 3rd in their division.

In college football, weeks 1-12 matter and are part of the playoffs.

You people are fvkking nuts if you want the CFB season to be as meaningless and unwatched as the CBK season.

Well WVU is going to the ACC until you figure out a better plan, Bud.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here's my plan. Big 12 disappears and WVU goes with it, or to Conference USA. No one wants WVU.... or Kansas... or Iowa State.... or Kansas State.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Here's my plan. Big 12 disappears and WVU goes with it, or to Conference USA. No one wants WVU.... or Kansas... or Iowa State.... or Kansas State.

CUSA is a good fit for all those schools especially miserable Iowa State, but someone will want Kansas for basketball alone.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know how all of this ultimately shakes out, but it is difficult to see the Big 12 surviving absent some radical and highly unlikely realignment of the existing Power 5 conferences. They likely cannot stay at 10 schools without giving further ground to the other P5 conferences in revenue, stature and access to the playoff. There are no great alternatives for expansion. And Texas continues to be douchy by claiming to wear the daddy pants and calling the shots and keeping its own TV network. To me, OU is the key. How long before they finally tell the Sips to pound sand and bolt - likely to the SEC? And could that conference survive without the Sooners? Doubtful.

I think the most likely outcome is that they expand by two schools: Cincy and either Memphis or Houston. To me, this is a akin to applying a Band-Aid after a brain transplant. They'd be moving to 12 (the Sips and Sooners and 10 crappy schools) while the rest of the P5 is already larger and looking to grow again. They're still behind.

Maybe as a last resort they get ahead and move to 16. In the east, they add Cincy, Memphis, USF and UCF. In the west they add BYU and Boisenberry. (Houston does nothing to expand their current footprint) The east additions are about geographic balance, market size and future growth - especially the I-4 schools. The western additions are about football quality (such as it is).

Since this idea is so inherently brilliant, I expect to be named commissioner of this new conference forthwith.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I'm a traditionalist, sorta, so I'm not in favor of 4 mega conferences. I wasn't thrilled with the SEC going to 14... The bump to 12 to gain the SECCG was enough.

So I guess my opinion on further expansion is... be careful what you wish for.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'm a traditionalist, sorta, so I'm not in favor of 4 mega conferences. I wasn't thrilled with the SEC going to 14... The bump to 12 to gain the SECCG was enough.

So I guess my opinion on further expansion is... be careful what you wish for.
Hey, me too. I was happy with 10 teams in the SEC. But the football landscape has changed. The NCAA balanced things over the last few years by putting a tighter reign on scholarships and somewhat leveling the talent. But TV contracts and the facilities arm race is bringing football back to the have and have nots. Realistically are there even 64 teams that have a legitimate shot?

I know plan isn't probable but it is possible. B12 is in disarray. Anybody that matters (and a few that don't) will be in my P4. I bet it even makes the most money in aggregate from TV contracts and for the member teams. Everybody gets a piece of the conference championship game. Likewise every conference gets a payout from the the playoff round. And 2/4 conferences get paid from the NC game. It's pretty good assured money for the new P4 conferences.

I don't like an 2 playoff rounds (8 teams) because of the additional amount of football. And honestly, for us I don't like having to survive an SEC schedule, then F$U, then conference champ, then TWO playoff games, then NC. As it is depth has a lot to do with whether or not you can survive to the end without losing a major player to injury. Id rather see conference champions get to the NC as soon as possible.

I would even be fine with going back to 11 regular season games , 7 div games, 2 cross div, 2 OOC. Div winners play a 12th conference champ game, Conference winners play 13th Playoff game and the the NC is the 14th game of the year.
WK 1: (FIRST WEEKND IN DEC) R&R WEEK
WK 2 (2ND WEEKEND DEC) : CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND 8 -TEAMS, 4 GAMES $$$$
WK 3: CRAPPY BOWLS
WK 4: (CHRISTMAS) CRAPPY BOWLS
WK 5: (NEW YEARS) PLAYOFF WEEKEND 4 -TEAMS 2 GAMES (BOWLS) $$$$
WK 6: HYPE WEEK
WK 7: NC WEEKEND 2 TEAMS (BOWL) $$

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online