Freshman WR Hype

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
See, JMac brought SOS back so he would be home when the Gator offense once again resembles the glory days of SOS's teams. It was all just perfect timing.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As long as the QB can get at least three seconds in the backfield
He didn't need 3 seconds in the Spring game, usually 3 steps. I know it was the spring game, but I think he has a good grasp on the offense

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The hype continues.....

http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/UF-quarterbacks-still-raving-about-newcomers-at-receiver-46749976

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- There was a lot of hype around Florida's young receivers going into fall camp. After a productive offseason of player-run practices, players and coaches alike were excited to see the young guns strap on the pads to see what they really have.

So far so good.

"I keep forgetting that they are freshmen, because they can all play," quarterback Luke Del Rio said. "We can only have five eligible at a time, but they will continue to work themselves out. They are doing a great job of making it a tough decision. Hopefully they all play. I think they all have the ability to play this year, but it is up to the coaching staff."

Three newcomers impressed this spring, and they might be the most ready to make contributions on the field this fall. Junior college target Dre Massey is likely to have the biggest impact.

Massey has been a force in the slot in fall camp and is pushing for the starting job. He had two touchdowns in Saturday's scrimmage for the Gators and continues to be a guy who can work underneath and make things happen after the catch. Perhaps the most impressive quality about Massey, though, is his ability to pluck the ball out of the air.

For a player who stands just 5 foot 9, he plays a whole lot bigger.
"We've got so much good young talent mixed with some of the older guys and there's just so much depth," quarterback Austin Appleby said. "The biggest thing is the way that they compete. Again, that's the biggest thing that has caught my attention this summer -- the way that guys go about their business. When the ball's in the air, there's a mentality that it's ours. It's going to end up in our hands or it's going to end up being in nobody's hands.

"Those guys have really, really taken it upon themselves and this offense to put the work in in the summer, to build the chemistry and the timing with the quarterback and now we're able to just go out there and play fast and go play decisively and go play to the best of our ability. Again, it's a thing where it doesn't matter who's in the game because we've got all the faith in the world in them."

One guy who was expected to make a major impact had a bright start to fall camp but has been limited by a hamstring injury. That's Tyrie Cleveland, who came in as the nation's No. 2 prospect at receiver.

Both he and Rick Wells, who also face felony charges stemming from a BB gun incident earlier this summer, have been out of practice lately with hamstring injuries.

When available, though, both could also join Massey and early enrollees Freddie Swainand Joshua Hammond in pushing for playing time. Jim McElwain said it Friday. Fans might need a program to identify some of the players making plays for the Gators this fall.

"It feels like a completely different team, to be honest," Del Rio said. "There were a lot of (Will) Muschamp guys last year and they are good guys, but coach Mac looks for certain types of guys and he’s done a good of recruiting them. We are excited for the season."

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
zomg, we have a game in 2 weeks!??? I think I got a little excited when he said that.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Mac isn't far off. Powell was a key part of the comeback against UT and who could forget that catch and run against Ole Miss.
I believe it was Powell who threw the block that sprang Calloway for The Touchdown against the Vols.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have a feeling Fulwood is gon surprise you two window lickers this season

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2015
I have a feeling Fulwood is gon surprise you two window lickers this season

I would be pleasantly surprised. Callaway, Powell/Massey, Worton, Goolsby/Lewis and pass-catching running backs should be able to put up sufficient points in a passing attack. If Fulwood or one of the Freshmen - though I'm not holding my breath - can fill the void left by DRob, and it's not a very big one, we can be prolific through the air (assuming improved o-line and QB play).

I have my doubts. Of course, we all know the light turned on for Debose at the end, so there's that....

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
85 catches, 1500 yards, 18tds for Fulwood this season. 1st-team all-American. You'll see. :cool:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
85 catches, 1500 yards, 18tds for Fulwood this season. 1st-team all-American. You'll see. :cool:
Thanks. Now I'll have to watch the season from my bed because my stomach muscles are all torn up from laughing so hard.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Brandon Powell, when healthy, loves the goal line more than any receiver we have had in a long time and he always knows exactly where it is. Not so good on returns, though.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
He will surprise me if he is on the field.

I agree. I think the same thing that happened last season will happen this season. Fulwood will be the starter at the beginning of the season, then someone will take his spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.