Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I would imagine so.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I doubt it. I do think he is a yes man that was scared to call his own game. He will be hired by another smaller school...

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
Good luck to him where ever he ends up. Thanks for trying but Will M. was your leader so you had no chance.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Did willy burn his OC bridges? Hard to imagine the next head coaching gig he gets that OCs will line up to work for him.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
If that write up was true that hardly any coaches from CSU will be coming here I guess there is a little chance he could stay but maybe McElwain has someone already picked out to call plays for us.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The bowl game is going to be very telling about Roper and the rest of the staff. I expect we'll see an aggressive scheme and a play to win mentality. If nothing else, Roper needs some film to show he was just doing what the boss was telling him to do.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone remember if Muschamp already knew who is OC and DC were going to be when he was introduced as the new coach? Maybe we will find out when he is introduced.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
BoomTown;n125557 said:
The bowl game is going to be very telling about Roper and the rest of the staff. I expect we'll see an aggressive scheme and a play to win mentality. If nothing else, Roper needs some film to show he was just doing what the boss was telling him to do.

What is that is all Roper is. He ran Cutcliffe's offense the way Cutcliffe runs his offense (look at Cutcliffe's previous stops) and ran an offense to match what Muschamp's philosophy is. Right now there is nothing to show Roper is a great offensive mind.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The OC has to take direction from the HC...it's his boss. I don't think the play calling was great. Even when we called pass plays I didn't see a lot of intermediate patterns. I never saw guys running wide open like I expected with the whole... (get the ball to the play makers in space) thing.

I don't know how much was limited by QB play. Driskel knew the offense, but wasn't good enough to execute it correctly... Treon didn't know the offense so they had to really cut down the playbook?

Treon's accuracy really went downhill after the Vandy game... it will be interesting to see if after having some time off... he has the ability to be more accurate and that opens up the playbook also...

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n125562 said:
What is that is all Roper is. He ran Cutcliffe's offense the way Cutcliffe runs his offense (look at Cutcliffe's previous stops) and ran an offense to match what Muschamp's philosophy is. Right now there is nothing to show Roper is a great offensive mind.

So by that measure, wouldnt that mean that he would run Jim McElwains offense just the way Jim McElwain wants?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n125565 said:
So by that measure, wouldnt that mean that he would run Jim McElwains offense just the way Jim McElwain wants?

This and I think you didn't see that much intermediate over the middle stuff because of Driskel and they knew that was just an interception waiting to happen when they were installing the offense.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n125568 said:
This and I think you didn't see that much forward passing because of Driskel and they knew that was just an interception waiting to happen when they were installing the offense.

FIFY

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Gee if your QB can't run the offense that you desire, then run something effective that they can. I like Treon but he is short and that will hurt. In addition our receivers are not getting open and when they do the ball is sometimes very inaccurate. Receivers need to be hit in stride to be effective and we have seen way too little of that. On the Defensive side I would expect everyone to remain who is willing, on offense some as well. Leak will return to his previous position or go elsewhere. We need better players as well as more effective play calling in all phases of the game. Simple!!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n125565 said:

And by that, is that what you want in an OC? Or do you want someone who can add to the conversation?

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n125599 said:
And by that, is that what you want in an OC? Or do you want someone who can add to the conversation?

Someone who runs the offense the way the head coach wants? Yea why would that be an issue?
Roper knows how to call plays, that really isnt a question. Roper was handcuffed with JD and the fact that WM wouldnt let go of JD, then his next guy is a true freshman, so lets not pretend that he had a perfect opportunity thus far. I dont think WM called plays, but you are kidding yourself if you think he didnt actively tell roper how to handle the tempo during games.
So yes, if we are hiring a coach whom we believe is someone who will restore our offense, then I have absolutely no problem with a guy like roper calling the type of offense McElwain wants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.