Gator Basketball ***Game Thread BBALL: Florida vs Loyola MD***

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
i liked what i saw from golden last year. the team wasnt great, but it played hard and i liked his style of play and philosophy. it felt to me like they were being coached well and put in positions where winning was possible. didnt get to watch last night as son had a baseball game but nice to read the thread and walk away thinking we are looking much improved. i wouldnt expect a tourney birth this year but wouldnt be surprised to see us play well in some games against upper tier opponents, perhaps pull a few upsets a long the way. Steady improvement is what we should expect.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I feel kind of awful. In recent years all Rog ever wanted was a big 7 footer to dominate the paint. We got the big white kid, who might have been Rog's prayers. Well Rog, hope you are watching from above.

Can we bring Canyon back to teach FTs?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Florida did just about everything they wanted on offense. All around pretty great start to the season

Aye, they had the opponent outmatched from the get go. It appeared to me our offense will be strong - not reliant on one or two guys, plenty of selflessness and distribution. I'm going to try not to take to much from such a lopsided matchup.

Defensively, Stiner went off in the second half and I don't believe we ever really adjusted much. Maybe it was bench guys on the court getting minutes, but after the third 3 made people HAVE to be aware and close him out quicker. I did like the bigs inside continuing to contest shots to the end, several of the guys as opposed to Castelton on his own.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Anybody have video of that Kugel euro step late in the 2nd half? So nasty

:50 second mark for those who enjoy freakishly quick twitched moves lol

Don't play bball, never have (total lack of eye-hand coordination), but this euro-step crap looks like travelling to me. In the vid, his second basket involved picking up the dribble at the arc and taking THREE steps to lay it up. Third basket was similar in terms of pick up the dribble and 3-step to get the shot off. I'll assume I'm an idiot on this (generally a good consideration on ALL things) as it wasn't getting called, but it reeked to me of NBA elites getting preferential no-calls on it.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Why not? We were probably only 2 wins short last year and we've significantly upgraded the roster.
true, i guess im conditioned to thinking new players, while better than old, usually take a season in the system before they really shine. not saying we cant or wont, just saying if we dont i don't think that alone is indicative of a lot. I do expect a very good team, tourney birth and some post season wins in year 3. that not occurring would be alarming IMO.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I'd wait until after Friday's game against Virginia. We all might be firing Golden Boy after that game.

I’ll only want to fire him if he consistently puts 4 guys on the court instead of 5, never adjusts what he’s doing and then acts dumbfounded when questioned about it in the post game presser

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd wait until after Friday's game against Virginia. We all might be firing Golden Boy after that game.
We may not beat Virginia, but you can tell this team has huge upside compared to anything we’ve seen since Donovan.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’ll only want to fire him if he consistently puts 4 guys on the court instead of 5, never adjusts what he’s doing and then acts dumbfounded when questioned about it in the post game presser
Or calls a timeout when the clock is running, we are up by 2 with 7 seconds left, have the ball, and have already broken the press. We call that a "Napier" around these parts.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
We may not beat Virginia, but you can tell this team has huge upside compared to anything we’ve seen since Donovan.
I agree. Kugel could've scored 40 last night. He looked like an NBAer playing against street ballers. Alex Condon looked good too. Last season Richard was one of our best players. This year he may be our 5th option of the starting 5. That's a huge jump in talent.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Will say, I am surprised and impressed that he recruits so well. Looking forward to this season. We have some interesting OOC teams to play.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't play bball, never have (total lack of eye-hand coordination), but this euro-step crap looks like travelling to me. In the vid, his second basket involved picking up the dribble at the arc and taking THREE steps to lay it up. Third basket was similar in terms of pick up the dribble and 3-step to get the shot off. I'll assume I'm an idiot on this (generally a good consideration on ALL things) as it wasn't getting called, but it reeked to me of NBA elites getting preferential no-calls on it.

Traveling has become an acceptable part of the game since the Jordan era in the NBA and is now allowed in every level.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I really like what I saw Monday night.
Lots of talented bigs that can influence the game.
Can’t wait to see them against real competition before I get excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator