Gator Basketball

BufordGator

Aug 25, 2014
just starting to get into basketball for this season and watched part of the games played over the past few days and have two questions

1. why isn't Chris Walker playing more?
2. why cant we seem to hit the side of a barn shooting?

looking forward to the season but need someone to catch me up on the two topics above

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
(1) After the two game suspension, may still be trying to re-earn Billy's trust to get more PT perhaps.

(2) Eh, it's November. Rather play poorly now than in late February. It is early, with UsucK getting all the fellatio from the media, we can just plug along and improve as the season goes along, and be primed for a run in March.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Walker is an athletic freak, but he has very little to offer in the skill department. He can dunk and block shots but appears to have little touch and is often out of position. He'd be awesome in a pick-up game, but we aren't playing at the neighborhood park.
As far as shooting, we just appear to be in a slump. It has to improve...doesn't it?

GatorStompin'

Gator Grad '14
Nov 25, 2014
BufordGator;n117959 said:
just starting to get into basketball for this season and watched part of the games played over the past few days and have two questions

looking forward to the season but need someone to catch me up on the two topics above

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

1. Walker is very raw on both ends of the floor. Defensively, because of his length and athletic ability, he has so much upside. But he's been getting himself in trouble so far this season by getting out positioned down low and being late or absent on rotations. Offensively he doesn't seem to understand spacing or when and where to screen. He's raw. And that's ok because he played small ball, in the football worshipping state of Florida, in high school. He's got all the measurable a and drive to make it though, it just may take him more time than he anticipated. Last night was a big improvement for him though, and he really gained some confidence.

2. There's a lot of issues with the offense. There's no inside presence at this point, allowing teams to play out on us. Kasey Hill has played very sloppy to this point, and his inability to shoot and finish consistently have hurt. Our spacing has been bad on that end. What it really comes down to is this team hasn't played together much to establish the rhythm and trust it takes to be consistently good on the offensive end. But once we find our stride I fully expect guys to find their stroke again.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BufordGator;n117959 said:

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

Chris Walker looks lost when he has the ball on offense.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Chris walker isn't playing as much because he's extremely raw. I think the game is still too fast for him and he's trying to do too much. He'll get better as the year progresses. But he doesn't bring much to the table right now. And offensively I can't tell you what's going on. We can't buy a bucket right now. Nobody is playing with confidence. Even Frazier seems shaken. The offense is a real headscratcher to me. Because we're missing some very good looks

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
GatorStompin';n117980 said:
1. Walker is very raw on both ends of the floor. Defensively, because of his length and athletic ability, he has so much upside. But he's been getting himself in trouble so far this season by getting out positioned down low and being late or absent on rotations. Offensively he doesn't seem to understand spacing or when and where to screen. He's raw. And that's ok because he played small ball, in the football worshipping state of Florida, in high school. He's got all the measurable a and drive to make it though, it just may take him more time than he anticipated. Last night was a big improvement for him though, and he really gained some confidence.

2. There's a lot of issues with the offense. There's no inside presence at this point, allowing teams to play out on us. Kasey Hill has played very sloppy to this point, and his inability to shoot and finish consistently have hurt. Our spacing has been bad on that end. What it really comes down to is this team hasn't played together much to establish the rhythm and trust it takes to be consistently good on the offensive end. But once we find our stride I fully expect guys to find their stroke again.

Excellent post. Walker is not a very good basketball player at this stage period. This is not a very good team at all right now for various reasons, yet Billy seems intent on running the same stuff he always has without the types of players that fit those sets. With that said, no disrespect to Kurtz, but Kurtz is clearly the best player on the team in regards to basketball acumen. I expect and hope to see him become a coach in the future if that is what he chooses.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
I really do not like what I see so far with this team. With that said, I think this team is going to come on really strong in the second half of the season. This team hasn't had a healthy full rotation yet and it shows. There's very little chemistry on offense. We don't have a main threat like we did with Scottie last year. Nobody takes over games late and teams are smothering Frazier. This team should start playing really good ball a few games after we get Murphy back. Until then we may see some growing pains.

BearCatGator

Aug 26, 2014
FireFoley;n118051 said:
Excellent post. Walker is not a very good basketball player at this stage period. This is not a very good team at all right now for various reasons, yet Billy seems intent on running the same stuff he always has without the types of players that fit those sets. With that said, no disrespect to Kurtz, but Kurtz is clearly the best player on the team in regards to basketball acumen. I expect and hope to see him become a coach in the future if that is what he chooses.

Walkers reminds me of a 5 year old when he gets the ball. In my head I keep saying "pass it, pass it". Unless he is trying to tip it back in off a rebound or go for a hoop he looks lost. He reminds me of a arcade video game, all flash and not a lot of skill. On defense he is weak on the ball but very good with help side. He has no body strength and gets pushed around when anybody has size.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Chris Walker should stay 4 years and enter NBA draft after his senior year. Hoping Horford + Murphy + DFS can
make us into a contending team. We look drab, lost, no attack.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Walker appears to be a major bust, he forgets to screen, is out of position on defense, and generally seems very lost at all times. I suspect he does not work hard in practice either and is probably not that bright. Seems like a lost opportunity and I wonder how long he can stay eligible.

We also lack people who can be relied upon to score or defend, some of our previous three point shooting has been reduced by less pressure from others. We have some talent, but working together is going to take good contributions from the freshmen. Rebuilding year for sure.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Big12 smoking the SEC so far. That wont help with the perception this season.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah tough game tonight, but the trial by fire must continue for these guys.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Swamped Gator;n118082 said:
This team hasn't had a healthy full rotation yet and it shows. There's very little chemistry on offense.

This.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Maillot Jaune;n125641 said:
We may have a losing record after tonight, which would be bizarre.

Another bad thing is we will only have one more chance at a decent OOC win if we lose tonight (a home game against UConn) which with the state of the SEC wouldn't be good news at all. I think an 11-7 SEC record might not be easy even with most of the players coming back.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n125679 said:
Kansas favored by 7.5 tonight, we'll see what happens!

Would be nice to shock the Jayhawks like LSU did to WVU last night.
Go Gators!
:chomp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.