Gators Baseball/Softball- Both National Champions this year?

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I'm feeling like we could have a great chance to go back to back in baseball and win another in softball this year, as well.

And I could be wrong, but I don't believe any one college team has won both Baseball and Softball Nationtal Titles in the same year. Would be quite a feat.

Our pitching is awesome for both teams, and both offenses seem to be hitting better, so far, as well. Very exciting times in Gainesville on the Diamond.

GO GATORS!!

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Came so close last year. Repeating is insanely difficult in such a quirky and unpredictable sport as baseball, but we’ll see.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Came so close last year. Repeating is insanely difficult in such a quirky and unpredictable sport as baseball, but we’ll see.

You're right..repeating is hard in both sports these days, especially Baseball..but South Carolina did it so it isn't impossible. And the women have to deal with a team like Oklahoma.

But Barnhill has looked so dominant that it just makes me think..if we can get her to the post-season relatively fresh and not peaking EARLY but later in the season, we'll see what happens if we get to the World Series..although she probably won't throw a bunch of No-hitters/Perfect Games in SEC season, she can still be more dominant, with less walks, at least. And Ocasio is a good, 1b option.

And don't get me started on Gator baseball..the pitching is ridiculous..and the young guns that are new this year are pitching like veterans..but then again we'll see how they do in two weeks when the pre-season is over and they play the big boys.

Exciting times!

(now if only football and basketball could hold up their end of the bargain, year in and year out!)

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

This is so true. I remember years ago Fresno State was the 64th team in the field and a 4 seed in its regional, they got all the way to Omaha and won the championship. We just swept a good Stony Brook team who made it to Omaha a few years ago by winning the regional as a 4 seed and then beating LSU at the BOX in the Supers. Speaking of this weekend, yes we have good pitching and 3 very good starters, but when India got hurt on Friday, the infield defense suffers big time. Reese, who has been quite the surprise with the bat, was awful at SS today and is not a SS even tho he played there in high school. They all play SS in high school. It appears Sully has already given up on the frosh McConnell who started at SS in the first series of the year b/c he was supposedly a great defensive SS, but committed errors already. We need India b/c outside of pitchers, he is the most certain major leaguer on the team barring injury.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
This is so true. I remember years ago Fresno State was the 64th team in the field and a 4 seed in its regional, they got all the way to Omaha and won the championship. We just swept a good Stony Brook team who made it to Omaha a few years ago by winning the regional as a 4 seed and then beating LSU at the BOX in the Supers. Speaking of this weekend, yes we have good pitching and 3 very good starters, but when India got hurt on Friday, the infield defense suffers big time. Reese, who has been quite the surprise with the bat, was awful at SS today and is not a SS even tho he played there in high school. They all play SS in high school. It appears Sully has already given up on the frosh McConnell who started at SS in the first series of the year b/c he was supposedly a great defensive SS, but committed errors already. We need India b/c outside of pitchers, he is the most certain major leaguer on the team barring injury.

Pretty sure I read that McConnell was injured I believe it was a wrist injury. And it was Sully that was the one telling he's injured. Long way to go to fix the defense at SS.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
The Bigger Question for the time being, is, What do you do with Liput and Reese with Reese having such a hot bat. Can't take Reese out but don't want to not have Liput playing second because he's a superior defender at the position. And we want Nelly at DH because he hurt his arm in Omaha last year and it hasn't fully healed.

But hell, these are good problems to have. Let's just hope we figure out the best way to go about these "issues."

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure Liput will be at SS when he gets back (I think this week)

That would be interesting..did you read that somewhere from Sully or just a guess on your part? I believe I heard Liput will be back against UCF on Wednesday.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
That would be interesting..did you read that somewhere from Sully or just a guess on your part? I believe I heard Liput will be back against UCF on Wednesday.

Just something I’ve heard

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
Just something I’ve heard

Alright. We'll see..I still wouldn't give up on Brady at SS quite yet. He has all the tools to be a great shortstop, defense included. But he's here two more years..so we'll see if he gets back on the field and produces or not..he has some time.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Alright. We'll see..I still wouldn't give up on Brady at SS quite yet. He has all the tools to be a great shortstop, defense included. But he's here two more years..so we'll see if he gets back on the field and produces or not..he has some time.

I agree. Doubt they’ve given up on him, apparently he’s held in pretty high regards

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. Doubt they’ve given up on him, apparently he’s held in pretty high regards

He's a "5 tool" type player..and could have been drafted in the first few rounds if not for the fact he said he wanted to go to college..he may not be ready quite yet, but it wouldn't shock me to see him eventually claim the SS position for us by the end of the year!

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
It's really hard not to think about the possibilities with these teams; both have stellar pitching, potent offenses, and freshman that are contributing like they're, well, not freshman. As already mentioned it's so tough to make it back year after year and the margin for error can be so small if the team is scuffling. Case in point, when the dwags beat the girls two years ago to advance to the CWS the game would have been over had the umpire made the correct call on a bang-bang play at first; instead, the next batter hits a two-run walk-off bomb and the Gator girls are staying home. A fraction of a second at first base, a fraction of an inch on one pitch and the season is over. It really kind of boggles my mind all the possible fractional deviations in those plays and how tiny they can be but they alter the outcome of a game, and you have to be on the right side of those over the course of the season to become the champion.

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
It's probably more likely we won't win both titles this year, but at the same time, if you pick one team to do it this year and probably in the future as long as Sully and Walton are here, it'd probably always be our Gators.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I believe we would be the 1st and only school to hold multiple National titles in all 3 major sports (baseball, basketball, and football) I think there is like 6 other school to win at least 1 in each but no other school has multiples in each. Would be pretty awesome to add to the list 1st ever in college sports.

We were the 1st ever to win Football and Basketball in the same year. And 1st to have a sophomore win the heisman trophy as well. It's nice to be 1st

Leroy Jenkins

Founding Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I believe we would be the 1st and only school to hold multiple National titles in all 3 major sports (baseball, basketball, and football) I think there is like 6 other school to win at least 1 in each but no other school has multiples in each. Would be pretty awesome to add to the list 1st ever in college sports.

We were the 1st ever to win Football and Basketball in the same year. And 1st to have a sophomore win the heisman trophy as well. It's nice to be 1st

I looked! We were the 4th school to win titles in Baseball, Basketball and Football, joining Ohio State, UCLA and Michigan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator