• 2008 Oklahoma Sooners

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ooooo, boy, is this going to spawn some arguments, probably beginning with who I left out and who I didn't. Just looking for good, old-fashioned healthy debate. Be nice. Please?

And, yes, I'm aware I have both 2008 Florida and Oklahoma on the list in spite of Florida having essentially shut down Oklahoma in the title game. Maybe that had as much to do with Florida having a great, great defense, possibly one of the best ever, which maybe we'll visit later.

1999 FSU? Eh, I put 'em on. Most of the all-time polls do include them, believe it or not. Couldn't decide which was the better bone, 1971 Oklahoma or 1971 Nebraska, so I listed them in a virtual tie.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hate voting for Nebraska but that offense, that year, was unstoppable.
Sometimes I think we can be unduly influenced by matchups. Our run defense was not a good matchup for them that year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
For its time probably that 95 Nebraska team. They basically crushed everyone they played that season. They played 4 top 10 teams that season and not one of them kept the score even within 3 TDs and in only one game that season did another team even stay within 2 TDs of them.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sometimes I think we can be unduly influenced by matchups. Our run defense was not a good matchup for them that year.

We had that defense that looked good against the run as long as a team couldn't stay in the game and keep running it like crazy but would crack big time when it kept coming. That game against Nebraska kind of reminded me of how the defense broke down against Tenn's run game in 2001.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
We had that defense that looked good against the run as long as a team couldn't stay in the game and keep running it like crazy but would crack big time when it kept coming. That game against Nebraska kind of reminded me of how the defense broke down against Tenn's run game in 2001.

2001 ut game had much more to do with hoke’s defensive style than anything else. Not than Pruitt’s was much better, but at least his D never allowed a ut win.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We had not faced a team with that kind of size at offensive line or with the running back depth that allowed it to constantly rotate in a fresh back with size and speed who was able to average over seven a carry.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m surprised that the 96 team is leading the poll. Third on my list. Behind 2008 UF and Nebraska.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure if Frazier was that good or we were that bad. I welcome anyone to revisit the tape. That's PAL-level tackling.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m surprised that the 96 team is leading the poll. Third on my list. Behind 2008 UF and Nebraska.
1996 scored LOTS of points and put the teams away in the first half, then played backups and ran out the clock. 2008 scored mostly in the fourth quarter and made close games look worse than they were.

2008 was basically two great players. 1996, the receivers were three deep, the RBs three deep, Erik Kresser set some school records as a backup. The OL was the only one that is questionable. Id say 2008 had a better OL and especially better depth.

It isn't close. At all.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1996 scored LOTS of points and put the teams away in the first half, then played backups and ran out the clock. 2008 scored mostly in the fourth quarter and made close games look worse than they were.

2008 was basically two great players. 1996, the receivers were three deep, the RBs three deep, Erik Kresser set some school records as a backup. The OL was the only one that is questionable. Id say 2008 had a better OL and especially better depth.

It isn't close. At all.
Your summation of 2008 leaves a lot to be desired. Two players?

Tebow
Harvin
Murphy
Demps
Rainey
Hernandez
James
Cooper

Sorry, but that's the most loaded offensive roster we've had. Ever.

Best game DM called, in the muck.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I voted the 96 Gators. Probably not the best ever but but my favorite. Saw them hang 52 on Mr Dog Gone'it for the National Championship, last memory of that game was two Noles that were sitting by us storming off after our last score cussing Spur Dog for ever sob they could think of, laughed and told them to have a nice ride back to Tallahassee.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Demps and Rainey were shyt. John Capel part 2. James punt returner, a big nothing on offense. We are talking offense, right? We arent comparing STs?

Hernandez was certainly potent, but he didnt really make the Spin A Play til 2009. Murphy and Cooper, 500 yard season in 2008?

It isnt close by any stretch of the imagination.

Not sure what an aggressive play caller could have done with those receivers but I grading them on what they actually did.

1996 AVERAGED 500 yards of offense and averaged 8.1 TDs/game, one more TD per game than 2008.... all while usually taking the second half off.

Admittedly 1995 Nebraska scored 8.5 TDs per game, but they werent balanced enough to be an alltime great. SOS could beat you with Jackson and Taylor if he wanted. Nebraska couldnt beat you w Frazier's arm if you stopped the option.

There is a reason 2008 is never listed among the elite offenses.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Demps and Rainey were shyt. John Capel part 2. James punt returner, a big nothing on offense. We are talking offense, right? We arent comparing STs?

Hernandez was certainly potent, but he didnt really make the Spin A Play til 2009. Murphy and Cooper, 500 yard season in 2008?

It isnt close by any stretch of the imagination.

Not sure what an aggressive play caller could have done with those receivers but I grading them on what they actually did.
Two different attacks. One that systematically took apart opponents and another that jumped their ass from the opening kick.

Spurrier's was like art, Meyer's was Need for Speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator