Golf...

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I started playing (with regularity) in May of 2009 at the age of 39. Before that, I might have played ten rounds in my lifetime and most of them were drunken hackfests. I'm an 18 handicap now, and I can shoot mid 80s just as well as low 100s. Much of it depends on how tired I am. However, if I'm scheduled to play, I play whether I'm tired or not, LOL. My personal best is an 82.

I'm not a long ball hitter off the tee, but that has a lot to do with my abbreviated backswing. If I pull it back all the way, a nice slice is sure to follow. If I pull it back to a little over shoulder hight, I can keep it pretty straight and still get a drive that will leave me with a mangeable approach. 6, 7, and 8 are my best clubs, but I'm getting pretty good with my lob and those 30 (or less) yard shots. Putting is actually the better part of my game. Reads are not bad at all and speed is usually pretty good.

I wish I would've started playing earlier...

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Handicap
Currently ?? (I only play 4 to 5 times a year and at least two of those are scrambles), but would probably go with about a 15 (If I shoot over 90, I am not a happy camper). Was down to 6-8 in HS/College, but that was ~30-35 years ago. I'll probably never sniff lower than 10 again. :sadnanner:

Strengths
Driving (I really only hit driver at our local range when I take the boy as they don't have grass to hit off, only artificial turf, so I've got that club dialed in).
Chipping (I've always had good touch within 75 yards, especially closer to the green - probably the best part of my game - still very confident with it)
Putting (I've always been a good putter - my brother's a scratch golfer, but he was always pissed that I could putt better than him) I still use the Acushnet Bulls-Eye Standard Flange putter I had in HS - wouldn't even think of changing.

Weaknesses
2 iron thru 9 iron :lol: I just don't practice/play enough to be a consistent golfer these days - should probably trade in the blades for cavity backs - Nah!

I've been incredibly busy lately, but will get videos of my swing (driving) up at some point.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I started playing (with regularity) in May of 2009 at the age of 39. Before that, I might have played ten rounds in my lifetime and most of them were drunken hackfests. I'm an 18 handicap now, and I can shoot mid 80s just as well as low 100s. Much of it depends on how tired I am. However, if I'm scheduled to play, I play whether I'm tired or not, LOL. My personal best is an 82.

I'm not a long ball hitter off the tee, but that has a lot to do with my abbreviated backswing. If I pull it back all the way, a nice slice is sure to follow. If I pull it back to a little over shoulder hight, I can keep it pretty straight and still get a drive that will leave me with a mangeable approach. 6, 7, and 8 are my best clubs, but I'm getting pretty good with my lob and those 30 (or less) yard shots. Putting is actually the better part of my game. Reads are not bad at all and speed is usually pretty good.

I wish I would've started playing earlier...
I'm the same way with my take away and backswing...too long or too fast and I'm guaranteed to go DFR. Don't sweat starting late. Thankfully it is a game you can keep playing usually right up until they bury you!

Handicap
Currently ?? (I only play 4 to 5 times a year and at least two of those are scrambles), but would probably go with about a 15 (If I shoot over 90, I am not a happy camper). Was down to 6-8 in HS/College, but that was ~30-35 years ago. I'll probably never sniff lower than 10 again. :sadnanner:

Strengths
Driving (I really only hit driver at our local range when I take the boy as they don't have grass to hit off, only artificial turf, so I've got that club dialed in).
Chipping (I've always had good touch within 75 yards, especially closer to the green - probably the best part of my game - still very confident with it)
Putting (I've always been a good putter - my brother's a scratch golfer, but he was always pissed that I could putt better than him) I still use the Acushnet Bulls-Eye Standard Flange putter I had in HS - wouldn't even think of changing.

Weaknesses
2 iron thru 9 iron :lol: I just don't practice/play enough to be a consistent golfer these days - should probably trade in the blades for cavity backs - Nah!

I've been incredibly busy lately, but will get videos of my swing (driving) up at some point.
Looking forward to your videos. Would be cool to see you dead sober and a few beers in (that is, if you partake) to see if there are any differences. I putted a long time ago with a Bullseye and it was good to me on faster greens, but if I ever got on one that was a little slower or had a cross country, I struggled with the proper speed. Glad to hear you take your son with you. Good place to enjoy each other, compete, etc. Only downside is if you take him into the lounge late in the evening while you hit on the 40-something bar maid with a paunch and nicotine stained fingernails like she's just off a Paris runway. A round in the low to mid 80's can put the tiger on the prowl!

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm the same way with my take away and backswing...too long or too fast and I'm guaranteed to go DFR. Don't sweat starting late. Thankfully it is a game you can keep playing usually right up until they bury you!

Looking forward to your videos. Would be cool to see you dead sober and a few beers in (that is, if you partake) to see if there are any differences. I putted a long time ago with a Bullseye and it was good to me on faster greens, but if I ever got on one that was a little slower or had a cross country, I struggled with the proper speed. Glad to hear you take your son with you. Good place to enjoy each other, compete, etc. Only downside is if you take him into the lounge late in the evening while you hit on the 40-something bar maid with a paunch and nicotine stained fingernails like she's just off a Paris runway. A round in the low to mid 80's can put the tiger on the prowl!
FYI - I posted the videos in the Golf Advice thread in the Lounger. They work fine on my computer at home, but it struggles to play them on my work computer. Waiting for Ray to respond so he can help get them in the format he posted his in. I somehow messed up his directions. :bandit:
I can tell you that if I drink too much, the numbers go up, but I can :bandit: all day without any impact on my game.
I love lightening fast greens - hate slow greens. But would still not switch putters.
The boy is 6 and already has a decent swing - maybe I'll post videos of him soon.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So I played over in Tallahassee yesterday. At the risk of ridicule, I'll divulge that I played at the FSU course. My alibi is that I took my daughter and my mother and we booked the round through GolfNow for $12.95 per golfer (yeah, I'm a bargain hunter). We were also looking for a different course to play as well and this one is on the Quincy side of Tallahassee.

First of all, it was hot as Hades even though we began around 5:00 and we had to grind it out. My mother is 77 and enjoys playing two to three times a week. She's usually straight and fairly long from the red tees. She's also a hoot to play golf with and this is how we spend a lot of time with her. My daughter is just getting started and plans to play on the high school team next year. She fights a left to right ball flight but is a good listener (unlike her older brother who I frequently feel the need to put in the Sleeper Hold when we play) and likes to practice. She hit a really great shot yesterday on an uphill par three (165 yds) to about five feet and you could just see the excitement and enthusiasm!

The course, despite what you might think being a Nole venture, is in decent shape. The fairways are cut pretty tight and I had a couple of heavy shots as a result. The greens roll pretty well and are quick with a lot of undulations. The neatest thing, however, was the fleet of carts, all designed to look like little clown cars. They rode pretty well, but all the horn honking throughout the round was a little distracting. I wound up shooting a 90, as I struggled with my putting and approaches on the front. Still didn't score great on the back, but had nothing worse than a bogey and putted ok. All in all, I'd say play it if you can get the low GolfNow deal, but probably not worth it at regular rates ($29.95 per golfer). Pretty crowded with a lot of students can be a little tedious for us older guys.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I played over in Tallahassee yesterday at the FSU course... booked the round through GolfNow for $12.95 per golfer
I would have thought that was regular green fees with a twilight and super-twilight rate to follow. Actually, come to think of it, I'm surprised they didn't just pay you to play on their course.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
Started playing midway through high school, inspired by our state title with Andy Bean as the #1 player. Was never better than the number 4 guy at LHS.
Was as low as a 7 handicap in my 20s and 30s. Now it's a good day when I break 80 from the white tees. Don't often play much more than once or twice a month but have been fortunate to stay pretty consistent without much play or practice.

Decent driver of the ball....only moderately long but generally straight. Very inconsistent iron player. Recently had a great driving round and missed multiple greens with 8,9 and wedge in hand. Decent putter, better from long than short. Have been known to miss multiple three footers in a round. Awful bunker player. Have developed an inability to hit the sand first....I contact the ball first on every explosion shot.

I believe fitness is a key factor for golfers as we age...particularly flexibility. Have been trying to stretch more often with some golf specific exercises after finding a web site devoted to golf fitness improvement for guys my age. If you can make a full shoulder turn without your hips coming along for the ride it does help distance/accuracy. I am thankful to be 61 without any back trouble or significant aches and pains. (A significant benefit from never making the high school football team).

Once heard former Gator Bob Murphy say the number one problem for most amateurs was under-clubbing, picking your club based on the expectation of hitting a career shot. Said he used to play senior tour pro-ams and offer his partners $5 for every time they were past the pin and they'd pay him $1 for every time they were short of the pin. Said he seldom lost money at the end of the round.

Enjoyed this thread...thanks for starting.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would have thought that was regular green fees with a twilight and super-twilight rate to follow. Actually, come to think of it, I'm surprised they didn't just pay you to play on their course.
Probably should have, but there was a perk...went into the lounge at the turn for refreshments and the barmaid, who looked to be from a Stieg Larsson work, was giving me the once over (or so it seemed). Momentarily I felt sort of Daniel Craig-ish, but good sense prevailed and the Duke strode away with his two beers and a Powerade. Moral of the story: F$U chicks ARE easy, but a Florida Man (needing no introduction) keeps sight of the task at hand and there was a course to slain.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Started playing midway through high school, inspired by our state title with Andy Bean as the #1 player. Was never better than the number 4 guy at LHS.
Was as low as a 7 handicap in my 20s and 30s. Now it's a good day when I break 80 from the white tees. Don't often play much more than once or twice a month but have been fortunate to stay pretty consistent without much play or practice.

Decent driver of the ball....only moderately long but generally straight. Very inconsistent iron player. Recently had a great driving round and missed multiple greens with 8,9 and wedge in hand. Decent putter, better from long than short. Have been known to miss multiple three footers in a round. Awful bunker player. Have developed an inability to hit the sand first....I contact the ball first on every explosion shot.

I believe fitness is a key factor for golfers as we age...particularly flexibility. Have been trying to stretch more often with some golf specific exercises after finding a web site devoted to golf fitness improvement for guys my age. If you can make a full shoulder turn without your hips coming along for the ride it does help distance/accuracy. I am thankful to be 61 without any back trouble or significant aches and pains. (A significant benefit from never making the high school football team).

Once heard former Gator Bob Murphy say the number one problem for most amateurs was under-clubbing, picking your club based on the expectation of hitting a career shot. Said he used to play senior tour pro-ams and offer his partners $5 for every time they were past the pin and they'd pay him $1 for every time they were short of the pin. Said he seldom lost money at the end of the round.

Enjoyed this thread...thanks for starting.
The pleasure is mine/ours and appreciate your contribution. Especially liked the bit from Bob Murphy!

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Follow up question:

Favorite/most memorable course you've every played?
I've only played courses in FL and GA, so my answers will be kind of regional. I did get to play some pretty nice courses during my stint as the high school golf coach (one of the perks), so I'll give something from both states.

In FL where I live, one of the most challenging and well-kept courses I played was the Hombre in Panama City. The fairways and greens were always immaculate, but you were dead in the rough and later on they developed a community around the course which resulted in a lot of lost balls or OB in stretches. Haven't played it in 10 years or so, so it might have changed some. Also, Golden Eagle in Tallahassee was another pretty nice course that I only played once. Biggest downer was that it was infested by Noles!

In GA, Bull Creek and Columbus Country Club (both in Columbus) were very nice and challenging. CCC was an older course and we actually played in the state tournament there, unfortunately finishing closer to the bottom than the top! Glen Arvin in Thomasville is also a nice old style layout, a lot of heritage.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I can enjoy the game when I stay under 100. If I'm at 50 on the front I start drinking, if I get an 8 on a hole, I start drinking, if the cart girl or barmaid is hot I start drinking. Took about 2 months off and shot a 91 last week and was very happy with that, I'd love to have a 91 on the card any time I go out. I'm short off the tee, short off the fairway and pretty good for a 2 putt from inside 90 yards, and can put it damn close within 20-30 of the green. I don't have the time nor desire to practice to get any better. I'll never get paid for it, what's the point? I get to see my high school buddies and a couple co-workers outside of the box to vent a little, that's worth it to me.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I can enjoy the game when I stay under 100. If I'm at 50 on the front I start drinking, if I get an 8 on a hole, I start drinking, if the cart girl or barmaid is hot I start drinking. Took about 2 months off and shot a 91 last week and was very happy with that, I'd love to have a 91 on the card any time I go out. I'm short off the tee, short off the fairway and pretty good for a 2 putt from inside 90 yards, and can put it damn close within 20-30 of the green. I don't have the time nor desire to practice to get any better. I'll never get paid for it, what's the point? I get to see my high school buddies and a couple co-workers outside of the box to vent a little, that's worth it to me.
That's the beauty of the game...you can work to get your tour card, you can be the club champion, you can play in the gangsome, you can play with your mother and kids (like I do), or you can enjoy playing with your friends as frequently as you see fit.

I'll share another golf story that I think you'll enjoy. About 30 years ago when I was out of college, a group of my old HS buddies and me used to meet up at the old Gadsden Country Club every Wednesday and walk nine after work. We weren't great by any means, but we always made sure we were appropriately dressed according to the club requirements and tried to play by the rules. We always had a good time despite the four of us being vey competitive. One week, we were all able to get out there early enough to ride eighteen. We were looking forward to a good round (not necessarily score wise), as there wasn't a lot of play. We were just starting to head from the clubhouse to first tee when two carts came barreling by us and jumped on the tee. There were a couple of groups making the turn and as time was of the essence we stayed behind the group on one. They were terrible. Worse than us and sprayed the ball everywhere. To make matters worse, they refused to let us play through. Now, far be it for me to criticize another golfer's dress (except maybe Ray!), but these clowns were actually out there in cutoff jeans, tank tops, and softball cleats save the one guy who presumably paid so that they didn't all have to go in and get declined for not wearing required dress (so I guess they were pretty smart after all). As terrible as they were and throughout all the hooting and hollering, they were having a blast and by midway through the back nine, we began having as much fun watching them as playing. On eighteen tee, we were sitting behind the box as they prepared to tee off. None had hit a drive in the fairway on the seventeen previous holes and the first three guys didn't break that record. Amidst the howls and insults they hurled at each other, the fourth guy got up to the tee, camo cap turned backward and sweaty tank top and Jorts not withstanding, he gave it his best softball cut and lo and behold hit the first one of the day down the middle! Immediately, he turned to his playing partners with a very serious expression, threw his driver on the ground, and yelled at them "don't ever f**k with me!" We all cheered! One of the greatest golf memories ever.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So I played over in Tallahassee yesterday. At the risk of ridicule, I'll divulge that I played at the FSU course. My alibi is that I took my daughter and my mother and we booked the round through GolfNow for $12.95 per golfer (yeah, I'm a bargain hunter). We were also looking for a different course to play as well and this one is on the Quincy side of Tallahassee.

First of all, it was hot as Hades even though we began around 5:00 and we had to grind it out. My mother is 77 and enjoys playing two to three times a week. She's usually straight and fairly long from the red tees. She's also a hoot to play golf with and this is how we spend a lot of time with her. My daughter is just getting started and plans to play on the high school team next year. She fights a left to right ball flight but is a good listener (unlike her older brother who I frequently feel the need to put in the Sleeper Hold when we play) and likes to practice. She hit a really great shot yesterday on an uphill par three (165 yds) to about five feet and you could just see the excitement and enthusiasm!

The course, despite what you might think being a Nole venture, is in decent shape. The fairways are cut pretty tight and I had a couple of heavy shots as a result. The greens roll pretty well and are quick with a lot of undulations. The neatest thing, however, was the fleet of carts, all designed to look like little clown cars. They rode pretty well, but all the horn honking throughout the round was a little distracting. I wound up shooting a 90, as I struggled with my putting and approaches on the front. Still didn't score great on the back, but had nothing worse than a bogey and putted ok. All in all, I'd say play it if you can get the low GolfNow deal, but probably not worth it at regular rates ($29.95 per golfer). Pretty crowded with a lot of students can be a little tedious for us older guys.

I confess, when I read this I immediately had the mental image of.......

adam-sandler-clown-gif-o.gif

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
First time I ever played, I shot a 95. I'd be happy with a 95 on the front nine now. In other words, my playing days are over.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Plan: Taking this Friday off, and as the wife works I'll have the kids (boy 7, girl 10). They'll take turns driving the cart while I teach them the basic ettiquette of golf, we all laugh at some of my horrendous shots, I teach them how daddy doesn't have a meltdown tantrum "all" the time (a perception they have lately), and hopefully....hopefully, they learn how and when to keep their mouths shut (a problem they both have lately, "all" the time).

Rained out on Friday. Went solo on Saturday and rode 9 with the plan to decide at the turn if I could do another 9. At $26 for 9 with a cart the answer was no.

However, for the 9 I played, it was pretty good. First shot long and down the middle, a thing of beauty with no warm up and only one round in the last 2-3 yrs. In fact, the first 4-5 holes were awesome. Bogey and Par and no tantrums - enjoy it. Then, I was on top of two kids that were consistently driving it 80 yds fwd and 30 yds into the rough, followed by 50yd shots until they could get on the green. No worries, I'll drop a ball and get some practice strokes in - enjoy it. That lasted ONE hole, and I had people stacked up behind me. Nothing I could do, but it killed my attitude. I proceeded to shank a few, lose a few drives, yip a few puts. All in all I'm happy shooting 45 on the front 9. We won't discuss the 7 mulligans on the last 5 holes because we won't, dammit. :zen: Enjoy it. Without the mullies, I had a round of plenty of good to great shots.

I'll see about taking the kids ot the range sometime so they can get a feel for what is involved. Then I'll go with one or the other for 9, and alternate who goes with me afterward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator