Great Cleveland/Wells story

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Great story about Wells & Cleveland, their relationship growing up, and how Wells pushed Cleveland to UF:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...-cleveland-rick-wells-will-reunite-at-florida

Both players still vividly remember the moment.

Tyrie Cleveland and Rick Wells were in eighth grade on their way to Mr. Roundtree’s class when they made a pact.

“I just came out and told him,” Cleveland recalls, “‘Bro, we’re going to play college ball together.’ We agreed to it and said we wouldn’t forget that, and we never did.”

Five years later, after being separated throughout high school by 900 miles, Cleveland and Wells will reunite next month when they enroll at Florida, their dream school while growing up together in Jacksonville.

“We’ve known each other since we were little kids,” Wells said. “We played Pop Warner together, from five years old all the way on up. Then in middle school we played sports together, so we were always tight.”

But Cleveland and his family relocated to Houston during his eighth grade year, splitting up the long-time friends. They briefly lost touch after the move, then reconnected on social media.

“We started keeping in touch on Facebook and Twitter,” Cleveland said. “I followed his high school career and kept up with him to see how he was doing, and he did the same with me.”

The wide receivers soon developed into four-star recruits and started picking up similar offers. But they were waiting on one school in particular.

“My 11th grade year, I committed to Florida as soon as they offered me,” Wells said. “Tyrie still didn’t have an offer yet, but he got it a couple months later. He called me up and goes, ‘Guess what boy, we might have a chance to play together.’ After that it was on.”

Cleveland, however, didn’t immediately jump on board last spring. He was pledged to Texas A&M at the time and de-committed from the Aggies that week.

Houston landed him two months before signing day, but Wells didn’t want to see Cleveland spend another four years in Texas.

“I started pushing Florida to him, sending Gator emojis every day,” Wells said. “I told him he couldn’t pass up this opportunity. Florida was where he always wanted to be. I got him to come on my official with me.”

Wells-Cleveland-1_egyvkv.jpg

Florida wide receivers coach Kerry Dixon II (middle) with Tyrie Cleveland (left) and Rick Wells. (Photo courtesy of Cleveland)
Cleveland and Wells visited UF on the final weekend of the recruiting cycle, bringing back childhood memories of their friendship. Three days later, Cleveland flipped from Houston and signed with the Gators.

Cleveland literally didn’t tell anyone prior to his announcement, including his family members, but he couldn’t fool Wells.

“Oh, I knew,” Wells said with a smile. “He didn’t have to tell me. I know him.”

Cleveland and Wells are expected to upgrade the talent at wide receiver, and Florida coach Jim McElwain is looking forward to their arrival.

“Excited about both of them obviously,” Florida coach Jim McElwain said. “Those two guys were buddies growing up and played together in different leagues. We got see that camaraderie pick right back up when they came on the same visit weekend.

“Those are two size guys. They have the physical size and speed, the ability to play the position in the SEC. That’s what we’re looking for.”

Cleveland can’t wait to line up in The Swamp with Wells beside him.

“That’s all we’ve been talking about,” Cleveland said. “We’re just ready to get there and go to work. This isn’t little league for us. It’s a business trip.

“We talked about this moment and now we’re about to actually live it. It’s crazy.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wells looks just as big as Cleveland. Usually when a player is committed for so long he's forgotten about...but I think Wells is going to be a good WR for us.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Both of them look like they are physically ready to play. It's nice having more than one or two good WRs. I forgot what that was like.

Rentmoneygawd

Jan 14, 2016
Wells looks just as big as Cleveland. Usually when a player is committed for so long he's forgotten about...but I think Wells is going to be a good WR for us.

I think Wells gets slept on by a lot of folks. He was initially a 3-star at the time of his commitment. Just watching him at camps and his Senior year you can tell that he definitely has a strong work ethic. Hopefully he can continue to grow and be a nice complement to the other receivers we have along with Cleveland. Mac is bringing in some quality offensive weapons.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm jumping the gun a little here but this looks to be a banner class at WR. I know a lot of posters are looking for Cleveland to be the centerpiece but don't sleep on Swain or Hammond. Swain really impressed me in the couple of games I watched him play.....On a down note, I wonder if us pushing so hard at WR this class means we've seen the last of Calloway?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I'm jumping the gun a little here but this looks to be a banner class at WR. I know a lot of posters are looking for Cleveland to be the centerpiece but don't sleep on Swain or Hammond. Swain really impressed me in the couple of games I watched him play.....On a down note, I wonder if us pushing so hard at WR this class means we've seen the last of Calloway?

I said a month ago I had a feeling we never see Calloway again. I hope I am wrong. We are starting to stack up at receiver though....

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ESPN has Wells at 6'2" and 195 lbs and Cleveland at 6'3" and 190 lbs. Pretty darn close.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
IMO, Callaway is seriously serving out his punishment penance that was issued him by UF.
He's serving it with no rebellious announcement that he's transferring. Mac's made no announcement
that Callaway is kicked off the Gator football team.

So Callaway is trudging through his academic responsibilities (going to class) and serving his
suspension because he's counting on being reinstated. His attorney is advising him that the
outcome is a guaranteed good. It's been 5 months; surely the investigation is decided and the
punishment edicts are being quietly fulfilled.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I pray Calloway returns. It's saddening to think that two of the key executors of one of the greatest plays in Gator football lore left the program long before their eligibility dictated.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm jumping the gun a little here but this looks to be a banner class at WR. I know a lot of posters are looking for Cleveland to be the centerpiece but don't sleep on Swain or Hammond.
I really like what I saw of Hammond in ST and film of Cleveland and Swain. EDIT: I meant to say Cleveland, Wells and Swain. Cleveland and Wells are JACKED. Look ready to play now. Remember when receivers came in as sticks and needed a year or two in the weightroom before they were ready?

Can't wait to see an actual QB (not a RB with a decent arm) throwing the ball downfield. It's been so long.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I pray Calloway returns. It's saddening to think that two of the key executors of one of the greatest plays in Gator football lore left the program long before their eligibility dictated.

I think Callaway returns...and I'm not sure what he actually did to get the suspension, but he needs to make better decisions and start hanging out w/ better people/teammates.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

There have literally been dozens of players in recent years who have seen far less suspension for that offense. Even with repeat offenders, they've gotten off with less punishment.

This smells like a sexual assault allegation or something similar. The big surprise in the whole ordeal has been how quiet they've been able to keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.