Great read on defensive talent

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Just a wild assed guess, but I bet one of the reasons he went with a soft zone was to avoid holding/PI calls. Regardless, I agree we should have sent 5 or 6 just to dictate when the ball gets released.
One thing I can't argue with is how well Mertz has played and improved over the season. Its a shame he got injured by trying to be a leader on the field like the other 15 we all know and love.

Brooks

Jul 1, 2021
I know we need Graham at LB desperately. But maybe they should give him some carries at RB. I've watched some Buchholz games this year and he's an outstanding RB for them also.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
No doubt, superior athletes would improve us at every position. But when you see 4 DBs not interested enough to break-up a 25-yard pass when all are at the other end waiting on it, at min a 25-td throw, and the game is on the line with this one play, you have a coaching problem. And also a serious ass-chewing coming from those coaches that now have their jobs in question.

Napier looks one or two steps behind where he needs to be in running this team. Sick of the excuses of young inexperienced, blah blah. Nape you have the worst Defense in the conference and it won't get fixed without a plan. WTF is your PLAN?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just a wild assed guess, but I bet one of the reasons he went with a soft zone was to avoid holding/PI calls. Regardless, I agree we should have sent 5 or 6 just to dictate when the ball gets released.
One thing I can't argue with is how well Mertz has played and improved over the season. Its a shame he got injured by trying to be a leader on the field like the other 15 we all know and love.
Agreed on the rush. Shows putting Nunnery back and wound up in "no man's land" that didn't work, the extra rush might have worked out better. Should have put up a better protection on the line to gain mark and nothing in front of that gets by.

On Mertz, the kid gave us his all this season. I am very impressed and he exceeded what I and many thought. I hope he does come back not only to provide much needed depth. But from an experience factor and we can get Lagway ready to play instead of throwing him to the wolves. I can see where the two of them would be huge for us offensively next year.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
No doubt, superior athletes would improve us at every position. But when you see 4 DBs not interested enough to break-up a 25-yard pass when all are at the other end waiting on it, at min a 25-td throw, and the game is on the line with this one play, you have a coaching problem. And also a serious ass-chewing coming from those coaches that now have their jobs in question.

Napier looks one or two steps behind where he needs to be in running this team. Sick of the excuses of young inexperienced, blah blah. Nape you have the worst Defense in the conference and it won't get fixed without a plan. WTF is your PLAN?
Well, if you see it, his boss does as well. I'm sure it's being discussed and accountability is being demanded. Napier will appreciate the results and probably learn from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator