I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Good find @GatorJ

I've been wondering for a few weeks about something that the author touched on. Watching some of the performance by our DBs this season has me asking how much is on talent/experience and how much is on coaching and more specifically, is Corey Raymond perhaps overrated? At previous job at LSU he brought in DBs who were highly rated recruits, who later produced on the field. So far his recruiting seems good, but not great and, as we all know, the results on the field have been very uneven. In the current class, Filsaime - assuming he signs with us - looks like a potential superstar, but the other two DBs currently committed look like projects. Last year's class had three highly rated CBs (& top 150 players): Johnson, Denson, and Jackson, so maybe next year we'll see something, but Devin Moore looks like our only current CB holding his own. For two guys who were pretty highly rated coming out of HS, Kimber and, in particular, Marshall, have been underwhelming. Lack of talent, or coaching failure? Thoughts from those of you who know more about football than I? (and yes, I know that's about 90% 95% of the board.)

I hate seeing the comments on Peterson; was really hoping he'd turn out better.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it really goes to show how bad linebacker and secondary talent is
That's the argument that he's attempting to make, but the data doesn't support it.

The argument depends on the assumption that the player grade is a measure of talent. When you look at how much the grades of individual players go up and down year over year it's pretty obvious that coaching, scheme, strength of opposition, and other circumstances also play a significant role in the grade. Ergo, the assumption is not valid and the argument falls apart.

Why not use the recruiting rankings which are more based on talent? Because it doesn't give him the same result?

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Take the time to read this. I think it really goes to show how bad linebacker and secondary talent is.

Stuff should turn around with the portal and next year‘s class, but we need some really big portal hits this year at linebacker and CB.

Recruiting won't fix this next year. There is no linebacker in the country currently playing in HS that will come in and make this group better. Maybe in 2-3 years.

The portal is the only way to quick fix your woes.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Recruiting won't fix this next year. There is no linebacker in the country currently playing in HS that will come in and make this group better. Maybe in 2-3 years.

The portal is the only way to quick fix your woes.

Not sure I agree there. James was probably the best LB we had last year, even if Miller was more experienced and a better leader. Perkins was a beast for Lsu last year. I could see both Graham, Chiles and Hayes helping right away. Who exactly are they having to beat out? Nunnery? Mitchell? Yeah I’d love to see us land a big name in the portal. But those three guys immediately become relevant just due to our circumstances.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Not sure I agree there. James was probably the best LB we had last year, even if Miller was more experienced and a better leader. Perkins was a beast for Lsu last year. I could see both Graham, Chiles and Hayes helping right away. Who exactly are they having to beat out? Nunnery? Mitchell? Yeah I’d love to see us land a big name in the portal. But those three guys immediately become relevant just due to our circumstances.
What we really need is a "QB/Mertz of the LBs"... I'm hoping James grows into that roll by next year, he was already showing signs of it this year moving guys around.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What we really need is a "QB/Mertz of the LBs"... I'm hoping James grows into that roll by next year, he was already showing signs of it this year moving guys around.

He just needs some more Cedar River... to fully get it.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Can read because I won't disable ADBlock....

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Where there is smoke there’s some dat fire. Flaming hot, lol

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
That's the argument that he's attempting to make, but the data doesn't support it.

The argument depends on the assumption that the player grade is a measure of talent. When you look at how much the grades of individual players go up and down year over year it's pretty obvious that coaching, scheme, strength of opposition, and other circumstances also play a significant role in the grade. Ergo, the assumption is not valid and the argument falls apart.

Why not use the recruiting rankings which are more based on talent? Because it doesn't give him the same result?
Inexperience aside, and that our players have played the game their entire lives, from the results, to accept that talent is the reason our defense is failing, wouldn't it require that we have a truly low level roster? I don't believe that, and as well, it's up to the staff to correct that through recruiting and the portal. But we should have results from high three star types. We don't have that in at least a one deep?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We need numbers at LB badly. It is probably the most injured position on the defensive side of the ball and possibly both sides. I'm not going to try and polish a turd here but staying healthy next year and getting even 1 or 2 more guys into the rotation and this position group makes the biggest step forward on the entire team.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
ERnest GRahams son is coming next year. He is a beast.
LB
We need three starting SEC LBs and apparently they don't exist on roster. But even three highly rated HS commits aren't likely to be SEC ready. One? Probably. Are we really that weak at LB that they can't play their lifelong position? I believe Napier was really high on our defense pre season. We have 9 LB on roster. Stinks that we can't seem to get the entire D playing solid.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We need three starting SEC LBs and apparently they don't exist on roster. But even three highly rated HS commits aren't likely to be SEC ready. One? Probably. Are we really that weak at LB that they can't play their lifelong position? I believe Napier was really high on our defense pre season. We have 9 LB on roster. Stinks that we can't seem to get the entire D playing solid.
I agree and while it takes 2 or 3 years to become an every down LB for most players at this level that doesn't mean a guy like Graham can't be used in situational roles quite well such as being a 3rd down spy, or more if playing a QB who likes to break out and run.....We lost the ARKY game because when their QB started running in the 4th quarter we had no one spying him....

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Graham is a Perkins caliber athlete. Idk if he's as polished and game ready Perkins was coming in but he's on par with him athletically.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Depends on your data.
You portend that one set is better than the other but you should also acknowledge that BOTH sets are skewed as they're easily manipulated.

For instance, you believe recruiting stars are more indicative of true talent, but which service? They're not all consistent.

Also, we've all bytched about a kid's ratings being dropped simply for choosing the Gators so they are easily manipulated too.

IMO, that article did a great job of laying out our issues and backed it up with data.

In short, it says we're young, inexperienced and should wait till next year. Hell, we've all said that with no data, so many times we're now acting like it ain't true and can simply be fixed by firing and hiring? There's zero data that'll work.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I agree and while it takes 2 or 3 years to become an every down LB for most players at this level that doesn't mean a guy like Graham can't be used in situational roles quite well such as being a 3rd down spy, or more if playing a QB who likes to break out and run.....We lost the ARKY game because when their QB started running in the 4th quarter we had no one spying him....
Well, if staff didn’t have a LB spying, doesn’t matter how talented. That aside, we have some elder LBs. I guess we have a handful that are experienced but aren’t capable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator