Grier transfers to WVU

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
His agent and accountant calls it success. I didn't say Grier is going to win SB's but you are kidding yourself if you think he isn't going to get drafted because of some policy Bill Parcells spouted based on league practices from 2-3 decades ago.

The league is desperate for QB's with a pulse. One good year and Grier could be a first rounder and there would be zero concern for 26-27-60, zero. But whatever you want to believe. In this modern era there are more examples of Players being hurt, not helped by coming back or getting more games on their resumes.

So you believe first he has shown enough to make you think he is a special talent (still waiting to see that) which would fit your statement. Or that teams are so desperate they will take anyone with a pulse with a first round pick. This draft and last years draft is goes against that theory. A lot of marginal talent QB's only two with 1st round grades. You are jaded by people like Bradford who are getting a second deal based on the fact he does have the 26-27-60 and has had injuries/bad teams.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
So you believe first he has shown enough to make you think he is a special talent (still waiting to see that) which would fit your statement. Or that teams are so desperate they will take anyone with a pulse with a first round pick. This draft and last years draft is goes against that theory. A lot of marginal talent QB's only two with 1st round grades. You are jaded by people like Bradford who are getting a second deal based on the fact he does have the 26-27-60 and has had injuries/bad teams.
It's not just Bradford. Look at free agency at the position. It's slim pickings. But, of course, he will have to have a productive year to catch on with the scouts. I'm not sure if he's going to make it or not, but I would bet on him rather than against because he looked like a baller and a winner in the brief time we watched him. He's going to get bigger and stronger by 2019 and he's a dropback passer with good arm-strength, accuracy and timing and has the speed and athleticism to allow him to extend plays or scramble when needed. Honestly other than the suspension there's not a lot for scouts not to like. He just needs a chance to play which shouldn't be that hard to get.

Getting a quality QB is the most important and hardest thing to do which is why these guys play till they are 40. There's no quality on the bench waiting to take their job.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's not just Bradford. Look at free agency at the position. It's slim pickings. But, of course, he will have to have a productive year to catch on with the scouts. I'm not sure if he's going to make it or not, but I would bet on him rather than against because he looked like a baller and a winner in the brief time we watched him. He's going to get bigger and stronger by 2019 and he's a dropback passer with good arm-strength, accuracy and timing and has the speed and athleticism to allow him to extend plays or scramble when needed. Honestly other than the suspension there's not a lot for scouts not to like. He just needs a chance to play which shouldn't be that hard to get.

Getting a quality QB is the most important and hardest thing to do which is why these guys play till they are 40. There's no quality on the bench waiting to take their job.

The Free Agent market this year is a backups market, much like it is in most years. You rarely are going to find a quality starter in Free Agency. When you draft in the 1st round you are looking for the guy who will be there 10 years, that is why the 26-27-60 rule is used.

26 Wonderlic for the ability to process information
27 games started in college (plenty of game tape to evaluate)
60% passer in college, a 55% passer in college isn't going to cut it in the NFL, the windows are smaller

It's not the best tool, but a well used tool in evaluations. Grier in my opinion will be drafted, but at this rate as a mid round developmental project until he goes to the perfect situation.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The Free Agent market this year is a backups market, much like it is in most years. You rarely are going to find a quality starter in Free Agency. When you draft in the 1st round you are looking for the guy who will be there 10 years, that is why the 26-27-60 rule is used.

26 Wonderlic for the ability to process information
27 games started in college (plenty of game tape to evaluate)
60% passer in college, a 55% passer in college isn't going to cut it in the NFL, the windows are smaller

It's not the best tool, but a well used tool in evaluations. Grier in my opinion will be drafted, but at this rate as a mid round developmental project until he goes to the perfect situation.
Anybody know Tim's Wonderlic score?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Can't run? I'd argue he was more elusive than Treon in avoiding the rush. But I agree with you that Meyer's system is not a good fit for him.
BTW: Brantley ran a 4.69 40 before the draft, same year Russell Wilson came out, who ran a 4.68 40. Difference being, Brantley cowered at the pressure, whereas Wilson (and Grier) see it and avoid it.
http://walterfootball.com/draft2012QB.php
Grier is listed on ESPN as having a 4.73 40 time, but that was in HS. He's probably quicker than that. He did have the top 20-yard shuttle time of any HS QB who was tested at the time, which would speak to his elusiveness.

When I say he "can't run" I'm talking about being a "running QB" - the type of running QB Meyer uses. 40 time has little to do w/ running a spread option. Grier and his - drug induced - 210lbs wouldn't take much punishment as a running QB. Same for Brantley; his 40 time doesn't mean much if he breaks his collarbone taking a hit. Some QBs are made to stand in the pocket and others are elusive and can run a college style spread offense. Grier is suited for standing in the pocket....and he's very middle of the road. Again, I'm not sure what others saw in him. Most QBs will show some flashes of excellence and his 6 games showed he was servicable. I'd like to see if he can maintain his weight/size without taking illegal supplements.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'll bet he ends up at tPOSU though, because Meyer is just that big of an azzhole who loves to stick it to UF every chance he gets, and with the bucknutts Grier would have by far his best shot at the playoffs.
Passing QBs sit on the bench at OSU. I hope he goes there.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Folks might as well get used to the idea that most likely Grier is going to play for Meyer, have a good shot at a Championship, and is going to be a first round draft pick in the 2019 draft.

Grier would be stupid to go to OSU. All he needs to do is look at Brantley's time in Meyer's system to see what his future looks like. I also don't think he will be a first round pick either. Too much risk as he wont have much of a track record for teams to look at. Also, if he's dumb enough to get caught at the college level for taking a PED, how will he expect to get over on the NFL tests?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he goes to scUM and falls in love with a Cuban girl with 3 kids from a convict. He cheats on her repeatedly and ends up giving her the clap about the time her baby daddy gets out on parole.. Baby daddy/convict beats the hell outta Grier and breaks his arm causing him to miss the last 8 games of his senior season. He goes undrafted and ends up as the back-up for Lorenzen.
Other than that, I wish him all the best.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That fresh start's getting a bit stale, Will.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if he regrets his pouting tantrum yet.

Heading off to OSU or WVU tells me he really didnt think this thru AT ALL. JC is the only move that makes even a slight bit of sense.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Those Grier boys are social media hogs. So for the publicity buzz spotlight he should
sign with FSU ... his Ex-Gatorness will be human interest for BSPN and the last game of the
season will garner wild attention and Kanell will phosphorize him. Plus authorities dare not
drug test the Seminoles.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I really didn't want to dislike this kid. Really, I didn't. But.............:shakehead:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I wonder if he regrets his pouting tantrum yet.

Heading off to OSU or WVU tells me he really didnt think this thru AT ALL. JC is the only move that makes even a slight bit of sense.
I have thought this too all along Law. He has royally screwed himself. He already has the transfer to sit out a year. I don't think there is anyway the NCAA now will grant him to let the suspension run concurrent. What a waste of talent and poor guidance.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Alright for the sake of argument let me give another point of view on this topic. First off anyone who thinks the kid doesn't have the talent to be a very good CFB QB needs rewind last years tape of the entire season. We were 2 different teams, plain and simple. No, he didn't light the world on fire during every game....who would have playing behind the worst offensive line I've seen in 45 years of watching big time CFB, not to mention a piss poor running game, no disrespect to KT, to fall back on, and a true freshmen as the best WR on the entire team. Who thinks we wouldn't have probably won the FSU game with him back there or been more competitive in the SECCG? I hope Del Rio is all that because in the long run top offensive talent wants to play with other top offensive talent.
This whole thing may end up costing Grier a bunch of playing time, but it may also cost Mac his job and set UF football, which in my opinion is teetering on the brink of long term mediocrity, into long term downward spiral....

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
... This whole thing may end up costing Grier a bunch of playing time, but it may also cost Mac his job and set UF football, which in my opinion is teetering on the brink of long term mediocrity, into long term downward spiral....

Man, your optimism is contagious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator