Help me remember about Mike Bianchi

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I was hoping some the older posters, mainly those from GSMB, would help me remember what the hate for Mike Bianchi was all about. I was over there and just got bits and pieces of the story. I know some here won't click links and deride those who post them. I realize it's probably a matter of opinion but since I can't remember and there are those who only know this board, maybe someone can enlighten us. He occasionally writes something worth reading.
And while we're at it, what about Gatorsports? We over that and moving forward? Sometimes it's pertinent to reference things and I don't feel like catching a lot of crap about it. Yea, yeah, I know I'm talking about this place. Could be asking a lot. Thanks!

Dec 10, 2014
aka;n170668 said:
I was hoping some the older posters, mainly those from GSMB, would help me remember what the hate for Mike Bianchi was all about. I was over there and just got bits and pieces of the story. I know some here won't click links and deride those who post them. I realize it's probably a matter of opinion but since I can't remember and there are those who only know this board, maybe someone can enlighten us. He occasionally writes something worth reading.
And while we're at it, what about Gatorsports? We over that and moving forward? Sometimes it's pertinent to reference things and I don't feel like catching a lot of crap about it. Yea, yeah, I know I'm talking about this place. Could be asking a lot. Thanks!

The really easy cliff notes is that Bianchi writes columns to rile up fan bases. He's a mixer basically. Well that being said, who has the biggest, most prominent fan base in Florida? It's UF and fsu is a distant second. Therefore, to get clicks and exposure he often writes columns that target or lambast the Gators. As he's progressed in his career (at least when I was reading him), it would seem he's found that deriding and being contrary to whatever is happening with the Gators is beneficial to him. If we're doing bad, rub it in. If we're doing good, challenge our results with damning piece. That's basically it.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't have too much of a problem with Bianchi. He gets a lot of stuff right and a lot wrong. But like a lot of sports columnists these days he seems to get a lot of his material from message boards.

He's been dead right about Meyer though and I think this column about Muschamp asks a lot of the same questions many of us are asking......

"Question for UF Athletic Director Jeremy Foley and other college ADs who flush money down the toilet like it's used toilet paper: When you pay a coach like Muschamp $6.3 million in buyout money after you fire him, why not write something into the coach's contract that says, "You are forbidden from taking another job within the conference for at least one calendar year after your termination. Otherwise, you forfeit the buyout."

Why was Will Muschamp allowed to take $6.3 million of the Gators' money and then immediately begin taking their recruits, too?"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...ng-day-mike-bianchi-0205-20150204-column.html

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Div, that's exactly what I read this morning which got me to thinking about this. He is dead on with that and it certainly isn't bashing UF.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
MB would suck the skin off d*ck if it got him more page hits.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not defending him specifically, but they're all page hit whores. It's how they stay employed and the nature of the business. I'm pretty sure our clicking here makes Ox happy.

Dec 10, 2014
divits;n170754 said:
I don't have too much of a problem with Bianchi. He gets a lot of stuff right and a lot wrong. But like a lot of sports columnists these days he seems to get a lot of his material from message boards.

He's been dead right about Meyer though and I think this column about Muschamp asks a lot of the same questions many of us are asking......

"Question for UF Athletic Director Jeremy Foley and other college ADs who flush money down the toilet like it's used toilet paper: When you pay a coach like Muschamp $6.3 million in buyout money after you fire him, why not write something into the coach's contract that says, "You are forbidden from taking another job within the conference for at least one calendar year after your termination. Otherwise, you forfeit the buyout."

Why was Will Muschamp allowed to take $6.3 million of the Gators' money and then immediately begin taking their recruits, too?"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...04-column.html

You can't guarantee some money to coach at your school, fire them, and then hold the money you promised to them over their head to control their job opportunities. Even if you put some clause in the contract, it's highly doubtful it would be enforceable. The reason being is a contract is based on consideration. Muschamp was promised the 6.5 million as consideration to coach at UF. What is the consideration for him not to coach somewhere else when he's fired? No coach is going to sign a contract that says the money they are guaranteed in their contract is not guaranteed if they are fired and go to "an enemy" school. Even if they did, the contract would look ridiculous if you are putting in "firing" clauses. Half the reason these contracts are signed and these extensions are given (unfortunately) is to placate recruits. Any language like that would not accomplish that.

Foley was an idiot for resigning Muschamp. There's no doubt about it. But this clause that everyone thinks should have been in the contract is not feasible.

Dec 10, 2014
You guys and Bianchi are mixing up clauses for the firing of a coach and clauses for when a coach leaves voluntarily.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The better questions are why was dawg**** hired in the first place? Why was he given a contract extension after a 7-6 season his first year? Why was he extended again after 2012 when going 11-2 but having one of the worst offenses in the country and school history? That type of season with all of that luck cannot be counted on year after year. Why was he kept on after 4-8 and a loss to GA Southern? he should have never had the extra years and buyout on his contract and should have been axed without worry of such buyout.

Oh yeah and Bianchi sucks

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n170781 said:
You guys and Bianchi are mixing up clauses for the firing of a coach and clauses for when a coach leaves voluntarily.

I still don't understand how so many continue to fail to understand this.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Fair enough about what the article said, that makes sense. Back to Bianchi.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Back to Bianchi....

This sums it up very, very well.

PatDooleySucks;n170735 said:
The really easy cliff notes is that Bianchi writes columns to rile up fan bases. He's a mixer basically. Well that being said, who has the biggest, most prominent fan base in Florida? It's UF and fsu is a distant second. Therefore, to get clicks and exposure he often writes columns that target or lambast the Gators. As he's progressed in his career (at least when I was reading him), it would seem he's found that deriding and being contrary to whatever is happening with the Gators is beneficial to him. If we're doing bad, rub it in. If we're doing good, challenge our results with damning piece. That's basically it.

He writes to stir the pot, regardless of reality his job is to generate clicks and he does it by getting people pissed off at him for writing inflamatory crap, or from the gator haters nodding in agreement. Like Dooley, he is not a source for facts or information, he's not a reporter (just the facts, ma'am)...he is a media writer needing to generate revenue. There is nothing for Gator fans to gain from reading him other than an ulcer.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of misconception re Bianchi. First, he doesn't need the clicks, and certainly not to amp up his comp. He's paid a salary. Second, that he hates UF. He's a UF grad and certainly does not hate UF, but as pointed out earlier, he'll intentionally ride the contra view to generate interest. That's just Mike being Mike. He loves what he does. I don't always agree with what he writes, but you can't deny him having a lot of contacts in the college football world after being in the industry for over 30 years. BTW, he joined the Sun staff as a UF student about four months after I arrived, in early 1980.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n170769 said:
Foley was an idiot for resigning Muschamp. There's no doubt about it. But this clause that everyone thinks should have been in the contract is not feasible.

Perhaps, perhaps not. If the wording is such that Muschamp is prohibited for one year from recruiting athletes he recruited on Florida's dime I think there is a chance of it standing up. Unless you put it in the contract you'll never know. And if indeed it was in Muschamp's original contract do you honestly believe he would not have come to Florida? Or Mac Elwain for that matter?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n170938]A lot of misconception re Bianchi. First, he doesn't need the clicks, and certainly not to amp up his comp. He's paid a salary. Second, that he hates UF. He's a UF grad and certainly does not hate UF, but as pointed out earlier, he'll intentionally ride the contra view to generate interest. That's just Mike being Mike. He loves what he does. I don't always agree with what he writes, but you can't deny him having a lot of contacts in the college football world after being in the industry for over 30 years. BTW, he joined the Sun staff as a UF student about four months after I arrived, in early 1980.[/QUOTE]

with all due respect.....this is bull****. I took electives at the College of Journalism, and there were some FSU fans that I ran into there. At the time (not sure if it's the same), FSU did not offer certain COJ majors (edit: actually not sure if they had any College of Journalism). So FSU fans came here for school. Here is another name Gregg Doyel who works for CBS. He has publicly stated that he doesn't root for UF, and in fact, rooted against UF at the few games he attended while a student at UF. Just because you went here doesn't mean you like UF.

If I really wanted to major in something that UF didn't offer and FSU did. I would either find a different school, a different major, or go to FSU and become an FSU fan. Thankfully UF offers just about every major you could want. Bianchi is a complete and utter asshat and Gregg Doyel should drink bleach. That is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.