Houston QB John O'Korn Considering Transfer to Florida

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting...

After being benched during his sophomore season with the Houston Cougars, quarterback John O’Korn decided to transfer after the season.
This could develop into one of those rare cases where a player is benched at a smaller school yet transfers to a higher profile program.
O’Korn entered the 2014 campaign as one of the most promising young quarterbacks in the country.
As a true freshman, O’Korn completed 58.1 percent of his passes with 28 touchdowns and only 10 interceptions.
The native of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, regressed during his second season. O’Korn threw only six touchdowns compared to eight interceptions this past fall.
Despite the poor season, O’Korn will be hot commodity among teams searching for a pro style quarterback. Greg Ward Jr. was a better option for the Cougars over the second half of the season due to his ability to run the football, and he will remain so in Tom Herman‘s spread offense. O’Korn, on the other hand, is a pure pocket passer. Thus, it makes sense he’s considering Florida and Texas.
Both programs run systems that best suit O’Korn’s skills. Florida is a particularly interesting option due to it being the quarterback’s home state, and new head coach Jim McElwain recently worked wonders with quarterback Garrett Grayson at Colorado State.
If both schools are interested in O’Korn, it must be due to an assumption that his 2014 performance was merely an aberration and still see his potential.
Houston has yet to grant O’Korn his release, but the school previously granted the quarterback permission to contact other schools about possibly transferring, per SI.com’s Thayer Evans.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I do like the fact that we are appearing, at least, to look at gunslinger QBs and not thinly disguised FBs as our future QBs.

KCgator

Superhero
Sep 7, 2014
Has there been a change in transfer rules? It seems that there are a lot more "free agent" college players than ever before.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n148382 said:
Has there been a change in transfer rules? It seems that there are a lot more "free agent" college players than ever before.
He would have to sit out a year

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Law98gator;n148309 said:
I do like the fact that we are appearing, at least, to look at gunslinger QBs and not thinly disguised FBs as our future QBs.

I also like that QBs are looking at us. In all of Muschamp's time did you ever hear of a QB wanting to transfer here? I can't remember one.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Born2beagator;n148388 said:
I also like that QBs are looking at us. In all of Muschamp's time did you ever hear of a QB wanting to transfer here? I can't remember one.

I never heard of anyone wanting to transfer here. Other than a couple lineman like Garcia.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Led to St. Thomas Aquinas to the championship and 7A player of the year for Florida. And we never offered? Was he even on our radar?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's not a running back masquerading as a QB.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n148309 said:

Gee is this some sort of reference to Tebow? Now in the NFL you have to be a very accurate thrower but in college somewhat you can get away with less accuracy and being more athletic. In most HS programs now the QB is the best athlete not the best thrower or reader of defenses. Even in the NFL some dual threat is a benefit as long as you make sure not to go overboard and you can throw very accurately.

Another arm would be a good thing if we have room and even sitting out they could throw in practice, run the scout team ets.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's a thinly veiled reference to Duhriskel. And Trey. And Reed. And Murphy... and most others.

Tebow was a pretty accurate passer with a decent arm, and he was at his best after doing the Tebow rock then looking downfield. He ran when he had too but didn't look to run first or run only like most of our others have.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
GatorJ;n148426 said:
Led to St. Thomas Aquinas to the championship and 7A player of the year for Florida. And we never offered? Was he even on our radar?

St. Thomas is basically a college football minor league.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Law98gator;n148449 said:
It's a thinly veiled reference to Duhriskel. And Trey. And Reed. And Murhpy... and most others.

Remember Driskel coming out of high school? What would have happened had he had a decent coach and a stable OC? Could he have been what many of us thought?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I do. I remember thinking "Uh, oh. All his highlight films is of running plays and he only thrown for 1500 yards against HS defenses."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.