How big was the Bailey play?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
That play killed any momentum. I can see why bailey hasn't seen the field.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxking;277794 said:
That play was a microcosm of the entire night when luck went south. That call against our tight end for blocking which was one of the worst I've ever seen. Hardin reverting to bad form. Grier losing all sense of direction with his passes in his last turn. Oh, and don't let me forget his tripping of Cronkite on a hand off. And to top it all off, Davis tackling his own man to prevent a touchdown on the last play. What a scream!
Davis tackling his own man on the fumble was absolutely necessary. What if a faster ECU player catches up to that guy and strips him of the ball? The best thing was to go to the ground and end the game.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n278519 said:
Davis tackling his own man on the fumble was absolutely necessary. What if a faster ECU player catches up to that guy and strips him of the ball? The best thing was to go to the ground and end the game.

No sense running up the score on a lesser team like ECU.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
SavannahGator;n278519 said:

Agreed. You could make an argument either way given the fact that a score puts us up 14 with very little time left. But there's also nothing wrong with just taking a knee and the sure win. I always think back to Eddie Lake's Int to finish the '94 SECCG. Spurrier was very animated on the sideline to "get down" and commented in multiple post game interviews that he'd wished Lake had just knocked it down. The point is you never risk something without cause.

What stood out to me was Davis' presence of mind as a defensive player. In that millisecond, he recognized that he didn't want to put that defense out there again, up 14 or not. I doubt coaches had discussed that with him as a LB, so it shows a lot of intelligence on his part.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You run up beside the guy and scream take a knee, perhaps.... preferably as close to the their goal line as possible. Yes, it takes the way the ability of them to return a kick for a TD, throw a hail mary or whatever to score quickly then recover an onside kick to go for the win.

However, the last thing you do is tackle the guy. That's stupid, he's not expecting it, may not have the ball with three points of contact (because he thinks he's in the free) and you may be the one that forces the damn fumble.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n278541 said:
You run up beside the guy and scream take a knee, perhaps.... preferably as close to the their goal line as possible. Yes, it takes the way the ability of them to return a kick for a TD, throw a hail mary or whatever to score quickly then recover an onside kick to go for the win.

However, the last thing you do is tackle the guy. That's stupid, he's not expecting it, may not have the ball with three points of contact (because he thinks he's in the free) and you may be the one that forces the damn fumble.

Come on, man, it's five points of contact. Hand, forearm, bicep, chest, index finger on the tip of the ball.

:snob:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There was about as much chance of Harris fumbling the ensuing snap as there was of ECU chasing them down with Davis there to block, getting the ball back, and doing something useful with it. He should have let the big guy score. Hell, I doubt anyone was even chasing them.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n278096 said:
Plenty of issues.

Poor call on offensive pass interference early.
Missed field goals
poor choice of receivers
forcing the ball into coverage
locking into one receiver early
no outside running attack
multiple fumbles
No return game
roughing the punter
foolish 15 yard penalities
several badly missed throws by both of our QBs

That is most of the issues, without them we win this game easily, score a lot more points and give up fewer.
I thought that roughing the punter was a cheap call. The punter landed on him. Totally against the spirit of the rule but the phantom blocking penalty on McGee was in the same vain. Of course, your list is right on.

gator lester

Sep 13, 2015
oxking;n278566 said:
I thought that roughing the punter was a cheap call. The punter landed on him. Totally against the spirit of the rule but the phantom blocking penalty on McGee was in the same vain. Of course, your list is right on.

Thanks I did not actually see the punting play, but it is good to know that the refs were doing some underdog cooking as in most of the game.

They missed a hit out of bounds which generated an even more dangerous hit out of bounds that they eventually called.

Now I would coach my players to respond with physical play rather than talking or gestures. You shut up such when they end up on their backs from your play, no other way.

I did see McGee and it looked like the defender was maintaining contact and McGee running his route. Coach apparently agreed, more underdog cooking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator