How do we look at DT next year?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I can't recall off the top of my head. There have been many. Easley and Floyd both bumped around. Joe Cohen did. Trattou did and he was too small to be a DE even. Not many are good at it. That's why I mentioned Bullard and Ray Mac, though both were better at SDE and neither were good as NTs, as Ce Ce has unfortunately been forced to play.

Roster management, especially at DT and on the OL, has been a disaster here for a long, long time.

I have no problem w/ a DE moving inside (or a DT moving outside) here and there. All teams do it. It just seems we're doing it out of necessity since we don't really have anyone else to plug in. I'm sure Jefferson would prefer to never line up inside (like Bullard)....but we need him apparently.

I'm just concerned about the DT spot next year. If Polite comes back over 280 I'll be very happy. He played mostly DE this year, so I imagine he'll follow in Jefferson's footsteps in that outside/inside role. I have no clue how Ancrum will be (or if he'll be heavy enough to play DT). Riles is key as he's well over 300 and gives us a big body, a true NG type player. Clark & Bryan are serviceable SEC DT's, so I'm not concerned about them.....just their health (as we've seen a ton of injuries to our D starters the last 2 years). Riles, Clark, Bryan, Polite, Jefferson, Ancrum, Campbell and another freshman gives us the bodies....but are they "SEC" ready??

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was playing LB at first and has now put on 20 lbs.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Easley and Bullard played both positions. Fowler would line up standing in the middle just off the line as a pass rusher, just to mix things up and mover around.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/177114-scouting-report-justin-trattou-olb-florida

Most teams worked him out as LB, but you are right he has played end when he has played. Spent much time on practice squad and special teams first.

Scouting report says it all, too small for DE, yet we even played him at DT some.

He has put on lot of weight since his UF days, just as many have (ie Humphreys). S&C has been confounding for a long time.
Trattou at Florida:

zac-dysert-of-the-miami-university-redhawks-attempts-a-pass-while-picture-id103870642

GatorsDefense.jpg

Trattou now:

justin-trattou-of-the-minnesota-vikings-runs-downfield-on-a-punt-an-picture-id629434008

giants0824.jpg

3 pounds you say?

BTW, my driver's license says I haven't put on any weight recently either.

Last edited:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We can sure use some depth there. With this season and all the injuries we need the depth. These guys playing so much is probably more of a reason for injury as well. Hopefully Shannon will have some sort of an impact there.

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/177114-scouting-report-justin-trattou-olb-florida

Most teams worked him out as LB, but you are right he has played end when he has played. Spent much time on practice squad and special teams first.

Scouting report says it all, too small for DE, yet we even played him at DT some.

He has put on lot of weight since his UF days, just as many have (ie Humphreys). S&C has been confounding for a long time.
Trattou at Florida:

zac-dysert-of-the-miami-university-redhawks-attempts-a-pass-while-picture-id103870642

GatorsDefense.jpg

Trattou now:

justin-trattou-of-the-minnesota-vikings-runs-downfield-on-a-punt-an-picture-id629434008

giants0824.jpg

3 pounds you say?

BTW, my driver's license says I haven't put on any weight recently either.

A Sporting News "scout" and pictures in pads ... weak ... I expect better from you.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In pads? You can't see his lower body and gut and realize dude is larger? You can't even see how much thicker he is up top despite the pads? Whatever, bro.

If that disappoints you, I'm sorry to tell you there is much, much worse to come.

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015
In pads? You can't see his lower body and gut and realize dude is larger? You can't even see how much thicker he is up top despite the pads? Whatever, bro.

If that disappoints you, I'm sorry to tell you there is much, much worse to come.

Thanks. I'll be sure to lower my expectations of you.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Trattou is one of those players who hung around the league much longer than I expected. Big Ups for J.T.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If we sign the players we are favored to sign that would make next season's DTs:

4* Tedarrell Slaton Fr 6-4 360
3* Tyrone Truesdell Fr 6-3 325
3* Kyree Campbell Jr? 6-4 320
4 * Khairi Clark R-So 6-2 319
3* Antonio Riles R-Jr 6-4 313
3* Taven Bryan R-So 6-5 293
3* Jachai Polite Fr 6-2 271

That would give us 7 DTs all of which will probably either be 300 or just below in the fall. It could be better, but it's not what I would call a glaring weakness either.
Campbell went to a prep school instead of JUCO because he didn't want to waste two years of eligibility. The competition he played against this year was almost certainly weaker than what he saw in high school so he's basically a true freshman.

So of the 7 guys, you've got 3 true freshmen, a redshirt senior who hasn't even practiced at DT since his redshirt year, a true sophomore who will probably still be a bit undersized, and 2 quality SEC DTs neither of whom is a sure fire NFL draft pick.

That's not as bad as the 6 scholarship offensive linemen that Mac inherited when he started here, but it's below average for the DT position in the SEC. I'd call it a glaring weakness.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Campbell went to a prep school instead of JUCO because he didn't want to waste two years of eligibility. The competition he played against this year was almost certainly weaker than what he saw in high school so he's basically a true freshman.

So of the 7 guys, you've got 3 true freshmen, a redshirt senior who hasn't even practiced at DT since his redshirt year, a true sophomore who will probably still be a bit undersized, and 2 quality SEC DTs neither of whom is a sure fire NFL draft pick.

That's not as bad as the 6 scholarship offensive linemen that Mac inherited when he started here, but it's below average for the DT position in the SEC. I'd call it a glaring weakness.

It's an out right travesty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.