How good are our coaches at coaching?

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
There is a lot of fuss from some fans on their recruiting ability. Personally I think they evaluate really well and recruit well but I'd like to replace Nord and Summers with elite recruiters, but I think as they display more and more success on the field they will become even better recruiters.

Success greatly aides recruiting and failure destroys recruiting like what happens with muschump. What they were able to do last season getting 10 wins in their first season and winning thr east with no OL and Treon for half the season was a hell of a coaching job... Which brings me to my point..

How good is the staff and head coach at coaching and developing talent? It seems that coaching is the number one thing Mac looks for in an assistant or coordinator.

When I look at the coach himself and his staff I see great coaches all through out. Unlike years past we don't have coaches on the staff that are mediocre teachers and developers .

Even the assistants that fans aren't excited about have a track record of being great coaches. Randy shannon is a hell of a LB coach. Summers has excelled at coaching everywhere we went and was the long time OL for Bobby Petrino while Nord was the long time te /RB/ahc coach for Petrino as well.

Petrino is known as a coach that takes mediocre talent at places like UL, Arkansas and coaches them up to wins. He won 11 games with mediocre talent at Arkansas in his final season.

The only coach we don't know how well he coaches is the wr coach bc his inexperience there but WR is Macs speciality like DB was for chump so we mainly just need a recruiter there. Both coordinators are known for being good coaches.

I think we are gonna get a team that is very well coached and with a staff that develops players really well.

Mac really reminds me of Petrino in the sense that he is a great offensive coach and developer of talent... The differences being Mac doesn't have the character issues, coaches at a university that recruits itself really well which Petrino has never had the luxury of, and has a balance coaching staff in terms of offense and defense and of course he has a different system....more smash mouth in nature than Petrinos.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I think we actually have a really good group of coaching talent on the sidelines. Recruiting wise I guess they can get better over time when they realize what it takes to be consistently great every year, and the fact Florida fans will ride your ass about it like its never been ridden before if you don't. I wouldn't mind Summers kicking dirt but the fact we just gave him a new contract is puzzling. Watching what we had last year (also have to remember Callahan was still on the sidelines and he was a complete bum) we actually performed at a level we haven't seen in quite some time. The fact we can't land elite recruits is troubling, but in the short term I think we are fine.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mac really reminds me of Petrino in the sense that he is a great offensive coach and developer of talent...
Mac spent decades with Petrino and John L Smith, both tarnished now but both good to great coaches in their day. I see more of them than Saban in the gameplan. Mac was only with Saban for three years, I think. People forget that when they talk about him being a "Saban disciple".

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
You honestly think this guy is a good coach?

Florida%20Gators%20florida%20football%20third%20spring%20practice%20march%2020%202015%20Florida%20Gators%20defensive%20coordinator%20Geoff%20Collins%20spit%20hat%20backwards-L.jpg

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Mac didn't back into national championships as an offensive coordinator. It wasn't like he was working with world beater quarterbacks.

We'll get there soon enough.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Mac spent decades with Petrino and John L Smith, both tarnished now but both good to great coaches in their day. I see more of them than Saban in the gameplan. Mac was only with Saban for three years, I think. People forget that when they talk about him being a "Saban disciple".

Law I always enjoy reading your posts and often agree with you, but if you think Petrino is/was a good/great coach then fine, but John L Smith was one one of the worst coaches I have ever seen. He had a bit of success at U of L which landed him the Michigan State job where he was an utter disaster. Then after being involved in some financial shenanigans, he landed at ARK with Petrino. Then he accepted the head coach job at Weber State, but never was the coach b/c Petrino then had his screwup at ARK, and since they were supposed to have a very good team that year, they asked John L Smith to be the head coach for that season. He accepted, returned to ARK b/c he thought they would be good, and he was a disaster that season

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014

There might be more of Petrino than Saban in the game plan. I am not sure about that. But Mac was at Bama for three years as offensive coordinator and I think he took a lot from Saban. Mac will develop his own game plan that will fit the personnel he has at Florida. Plus I think Mac realizes the culture at Florida really puts a lot of emphasis on the passing game. Foley made that clear when he went looking for a replacement for Muschamp that he wanted an offensive minded head coach.

Again, Mac didn't just learn X's and O's from Saban. More importantly he took from Saban the overall development of a program, a system, a process, an overall way of doing things. I have listened to a lot Saban's speeches, and Mac uses some of the same verbal phrases that Saban is known for. So, therefore, I do think that Mac is a Saban disciple, but also with a Steve Spurrier influence. Two very different coaches are Saban and Spurrier. Both are fascinating coaches. Mac is going to take the best from each one and meld it into a winning program at Florida.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Given the short time they've been here and the mess we all know it was, I don't think we've got very much legitimately to complain about from Mac and staff. Yes, this year will show us a lot, but I think it just keeps getting better.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think we actually have a really good group of coaching talent on the sidelines. Recruiting wise I guess they can get better over time when they realize what it takes to be consistently great every year, and the fact Florida fans will ride your ass about it like its never been ridden before if you don't. I wouldn't mind Summers kicking dirt but the fact we just gave him a new contract is puzzling. Watching what we had last year (also have to remember Callahan was still on the sidelines and he was a complete bum) we actually performed at a level we haven't seen in quite some time. The fact we can't land elite recruits is troubling, but in the short term I think we are fine.

I am sorry but I don't see why everyone is so down on Summers.
I am not saying he is the greatest, I believe the jury is out on him due to the lack of material he had to work with.
Before you rip the guy, take a step back and look at what we called an offensive line last year, it was a complete joke. We had 3 legitimate D-1 linemen and one of them was a true freshman.
If we see the same turnstile OL this year, then fine, but until then give the guy a break.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Honestly I think as a whole they are sub par coaches. I think we have some really good ones and I think we have some average ones. Recruiting wise I think they are in the bottom half of the SEC as a whole and here though I don't think we have not one elite or even good recruiter. That will have to change cause I don't care if your Nick Saban if you have a bunch a average talent you ain't winning no championships

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We don't know and we won't have an idea until the second half of the season. Last year Mac was like a race car driver with no link between the steering wheel and the wheels. We really don't know yet if he can drive at this level. The first half of the season will be qualifying but the second half will tell us whether or not this staff has what it takes. We haven't seen yet if the offense will be predictable. We haven't seen yet of the team can execute the game plan and more importantly if it is winning game plan. We haven't seen half-time adjustments or engineered comebacks. And we haven't seen adjustments once opponents figure out our tendencies. We haven't seen consistent special teams, or red zone play (etc.) yet. We haven't seen if we can put away teams we should beat early and keep our foot on their throats.
I'm high on Mac but I don't think we've seen much yet. We had success last year and it's positive in that we did something with nothing. We beat the teams we should have beat. But Tennessee is mostly on Grier making throws that were not diagramed. Georgia is mostly on Richt starting his 3rd chair trombone at QB. The Ole Miss game we can give to Mac but LSU and the fake FG gives me a slight bit of pause. The jury is out but I like where Mac is taking the team and I'm willing to hang in for 4-5 more years to see what he will do.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Honestly I think as a whole they are sub par coaches. I think we have some really good ones and I think we have some average ones. Recruiting wise I think they are in the bottom half of the SEC as a whole and here though I don't think we have not one elite or even good recruiter. That will have to change cause I don't care if your Nick Saban if you have a bunch a average talent you ain't winning no championships
Allow me to summarize: Waaah, waah, waah, waah, bytch, moan, complain, waah, waah, waah.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It seems to be more of a team family under one leader. That alone is a first great step compared to the jugular vein popping, disoriented, deer in head lights, cluster fvk of the not too distant past. This season is big, no doubt. We have a better arsenal, so we should see better results with a good head coach and assistants at the helm.
:cool:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The jury is out but I like where Mac is taking the team and I'm willing to hang in for 4-5 more years to see what he will do.
After Mushcrap, I'm thinking maybe 2-3...We should know by then if he's the real deal or another wanna-bee like Mushcrap.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I am sorry but I don't see why everyone is so down on Summers.
I am not saying he is the greatest, I believe the jury is out on him due to the lack of material he had to work with.
Before you rip the guy, take a step back and look at what we called an offensive line last year, it was a complete joke. We had 3 legitimate D-1 linemen and one of them was a true freshman.
If we see the same turnstile OL this year, then fine, but until then give the guy a break.
It's not necessarily about his coaching, but his recruiting. And don't even bring up Ivey. We have 1 whole guy in this class right now and even he's looking like he might leave. Football is cutthroat on the trail and if Summers so much as got a paper cut handing a kid an offer he'd probably die of shock

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The jury is out but I like where Mac is taking the team and I'm willing to hang in for 4-5 more years to see what he will do.
That's a long time. The echo of poor recruiting classes is 2-3 years down the road. Tough to commit 8 years to a guy but that's really what happens. Even re-evaluating after 3 years means you have given a guy basically 5 years of your program.

If last year was the beginning of better things, then we won't have to worry. If last year was as good as it gets, and he pulls another 21-17 stint, I think the decision will be made sooner rather than later. It always is when a new AD is involved.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator