Gator Basketball How many wins do we need to secure NCAA tournament spot?

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
I say 20 gets us in no matter what. 18 would be good enough if we do decent in SEC tourney.
Can’t believe still have 14 games left. I think 8-6 (including #1 Baylor) the rest of the way is a reasonable expectation.
As long as we don’t get 8 or 9 seed I’ll be happy (to avoid those top seeds).
What say you?

Name and town if you wish to opine.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah 20 wins likely gets us in but I would like to see us with 22 wins to be safe. Kenpom rankings has us at 25. RPI has us at 24 and our SOS is also at 24 so all of those help factor into us hopefully making the tourney. We certainly have some tough games on the schedule left so 8-6 may be the best case scenario unless we go on a hot streak and finish 10-4. Go Gators!

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
With our schedule being one of the toughest in the nation, 20 wins assures us we go dancing; particularly if we can grab a win or two off of LSU (play them 2x), Baylor, or Kentucky (play them 2x). How high our eventual seeding will be depends on how many wins we get from those 5 games. Beating Baylor at home in prime time could easily bump us from a 8 or 9 seed to a 5 or 6 with as high as our SOS and RPI are. A few more marquee wins will do wonders and especially with as crazy as this college bball season has been.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
22 to be safe.....anything less is shaky

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Let's just win out to be sure!

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The conference tournaments are pretty much a waste of time for teams that
have solidified an at large berth. I remember a few years ago we lost by double
digits to Kentucky in the final and still ended up with a better seed (2) vs a 3 for them.
I'm pretty sure that was the year we got our revenge on BYU, and blew a double digit
lead to Brad Stevens Butler team. Nova lost in their conf tournament opener a few years
back , and still got a #1 seed.

You might be able to bump yourself up one position winning the conf tournament
, but for the most part the regular season is what determines where you play, and how you're seeded.
I really have no clue how the rest of the season will play out.I could see us being a top 20 team
the rest of the way, and end up a 4 seed, or lose several games and end up out of the dance.
We will probably win drop one or two to a team we shouldn't lose to and then steal one on the road .
12-6 or 13-5 would have us in 7 seed range , which I believe is where we'll likely end up.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The conference tournaments are pretty much a waste of time for teams that
have solidified an at large berth. I remember a few years ago we lost by double
digits to Kentucky in the final and still ended up with a better seed (2) vs a 3 for them.
I'm pretty sure that was the year we got our revenge on BYU, and blew a double digit
lead to Brad Stevens Butler team. Nova lost in their conf tournament opener a few years
back , and still got a #1 seed.

You might be able to bump yourself up one position winning the conf tournament
, but for the most part the regular season is what determines where you play, and how you're seeded.
I really have no clue how the rest of the season will play out.I could see us being a top 20 team
the rest of the way, and end up a 4 seed, or lose several games and end up out of the dance.
We will probably win drop one or two to a team we shouldn't lose to and then steal one on the road .
12-6 or 13-5 would have us in 7 seed range , which I believe is where we'll likely end up.

:blahblah:

:nono:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that this question is being asked with the talent we have shows the job White is doing. We shouldn’t have to worry about winning enough games

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The fact that this question is being asked with the talent we have shows the job White is doing. We shouldn’t have to worry about winning enough games

Amen Alky. Look at how Payne made himself so useful against a pretty tough opponent ... suddenly.??? 19 points-- that's like a senior player.
Payne joined with Blackshear to create an effective inside game. How could White guide them to their inside game? How good is Pinklin as a big-man coach? We don't have assistant coaches in basketball as well as we do football.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator