Iceland Deep Freezes England or Miracle On Iceland

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I know there's not a lotta luv for futbol in SEC country and I'm not a huge fan either. But when nations big and small face off for World Cup or EuroCup play I take notice. This week started the single eliminaton round of EuroCup play to packed and very loud stadiums in France that rival any college football venue.

Iceland has a population of 330,000 which would make it the 59th largest city in the USA. 30,000 of them or 9% of the country attend the matches. The smallest nation by far in the tournament, they've played inspired ball and today found themselves opposing powerful England in a win or go home scenario. The supposed impossible happened. Iceland came from behind to beat England, 2 -1, and shock the futbol world. English fans are on suicide watch and Icelanders are partying like it's 1999.

A pleasant inspiring diversion during college football doldrums. It's on ESPN for the sports globalists among us.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Great game. Iceland is technically sound on defense. They played inspired. The sun doesn't set until after midnight locally so I'm sure lots of folks will be absent from work tomorrow.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
It's certainly a nice way to forget the butt whipping put on the USMNT by Argentina last week. Ouch.

This round of the European Championship is certainly one for the minnows. Wales and Iceland are both into the quarters. It'll still come down to France and Germany though.

And if Iceland were ever going to beat England, now would be the time. England's national team is a complete wreck and has been wallowing in one of its worst declines for years. It's the result of the Premier League importing tons of high paid stars from all over the world to play pro ball there. It's great for the pro league's branding, but it has been terrible for the development of home grown talent. Rooney is the only world class footballer they've had for awhile now and no one else has appeared to support him or eventually take over his role. As a result, lots of nations have caught up to England's level or passed them by. England no longer expects .....

UF has been going through something similar for reasons specific to the college football culture but the results have been the same. The legends of Tebow's era were not replaced with enough elite talent to keep us on top and now we have to hope that Mac can rebuild the machine through recruiting and good coaching.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
First the Brexit and now this. I love watching this Iceland team with their solid D and free flowing offense. England'scoach resigned. Maybe they should hire Iceland's coach.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
First the Brexit and now this. I love watching this Iceland team with their solid D and free flowing offense. England'scoach resigned. Maybe they should hire Iceland's coach.

Coaching alone won't get England out of these doldrums. Just like UF, they've got a talent gap that they have to address if they ever hope to get back to prominence.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
I wonder how their facilities are

Their facilities are great. They just have no facility with the ball at their feet. Iceland's players have said they weren't surprised by the win and didn't feel pushed by the English team to any great extent. Oof.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I still laugh about how we tied them in that World Cup by just kicking the ball right to their goal keeper and it being mishandled resulting in our goal.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've had an irrational hatred of Iceland basically my entire life because of Wolf Stansson. What a dirty POS.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

England's coach was getting $4.6 mill a year.

Iceland's coach is a dentist.

Awesome.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hilda Luthersdottir, swam for the Gators 2010-2014, just qualified for Iceland's Olympic Swim team.
Placed first in 5 or 6 events. All individual events 'cept one relay.
5 other former Gators qualified for Rio -- representing their countries : South Africa, Spain, Poland,
Great Britain, New Zealand, Iceland.

More trials, more Gators still coming.

Last edited:

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016

He used to coach Sweden and never lost to England. If you can't beat him, hire him.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Hilda Luthersdottir, swam for the Gators 2010-2014, just qualified for Iceland's Olympic Swim team.
Placed first in 5 or 6 events. All individual events 'cept one relay.
5 other former Gators qualified for Rio -- representing their countries : South Africa, Spain, Poland,
Great Britain, New Zealand, Iceland.

More trials, more Gators still coming.

Sounds like the swim coach has a ways to go to lock down
in-state talent.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Their facilities are great. They just have no facility with the ball at their feet. Iceland's players have said they weren't surprised by the win and didn't feel pushed by the English team to any great extent. Oof.

From what I saw, the truth hurts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator