Injuries

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve watched the game against Jawja 3 times now. There were clearly a lot of injuries. Why is it? Football?

I saw a lot of “tackles” per se made by throwing the body toward the carrier but not an actual tackle. Is this where we are? Broken ankles, torn ACLs, shoulder stingers?

Last edited:

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Officials have worked so hard at taking the "Big Hits" out of the game that you dive at their knees and ankles which is why you see these gruesome injuries

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I saw a lot of “tackles” per se made by throwing the body toward the carrier but not an actual tackle. Is this where we are? Broken ankles, torn ACLs, shoulder stingers?

All I can speak to is the youth level. Emphasis on taking the head out (and anything that appears to cause the head to move quickly) are getting flagged even when they are not penalties. Some of the power running concepts I've used for years involve bringing a receiver in motion to pin the end. If the guy is reckless, he would typically get himself lit up pretty good. The whole point is to put that in outside defender's mind and get him thinking about whether or not we're setting him up. All of this is happening in the free blocking zone and is carried out in a way that's completely legal - but, we were getting flags so I had to adapt. Now I may use a split in line tight end to accomplish something similar, but to be effective it pretty much needs to be a well executed cut block. Youth players are even less likely to be looking low, so normally it is devastatingly effective - BUT angles can get bad for joints in a hurry especially when he's getting hit in the opposite direction of the block from his own over eager linebacker. I image you're much more likely to get the defender hurt this way rather than putting a shoulder through his pec the minute you see his eyes.

I've see a lot of leg injuries this year, especially lower leg.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator