Is Florida the best SEC Team that nobody is talking about?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with most that there's no reason to think that we've gotten worse and everyone else is already practicing their raising of the trophy. I think we had more question marks going into last year than this year. Perhaps LDR would have been our QB last season if he did not have to sit out. Barring alot of injuries there's no reason not to expect good things this year. If Mac can take that team last year and pull out 10 wins, they certainly should be able to be very competitive. This under the radar mode is just fine with me. If we start winning, we won't stay there long.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
this is going to piss a lot of people off, but given some depth issues on defense, we're going to need to run a ball control offense this year. Our defense got knocked around last year and the accumulation took it's toll. Not saying we need to run the ball like Chump, but more like the '06 NC game with short/moderate passing to compliment a run game. Also, not saying we just need to hold the ball either. Just that we need to be deliberate and work a drive and not worry about a homerun.
Crete just went from 6 to 12

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
this is going to piss a lot of people off, but given some depth issues on defense, we're going to need to run a ball control offense this year. Our defense got knocked around last year and the accumulation took it's toll. Not saying we need to run the ball like Chump, but more like the '06 NC game with short/moderate passing to compliment a run game. Also, not saying we just need to hold the ball either. Just that we need to be deliberate and work a drive and not worry about a homerun.
Pretty sure that's Mac's offensive mentality already....

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We have lots of question marks, as do many teams all across the country.

#1-RB- Depth appears to be in good shape. I think losing KT is a bigger loss than most think. I'd argue the biggest loss on O. He was obviously our best back, and was very good in terms of ball security. It would at least appear pass protection will take a slight step back with the new crew as well. Cronkrite is probably the
most consistent of the bunch. Scarlett has that extra gear our other guys seem to be lacking, and has the body type to carry it 20 times a game in our league.
I like these two, but I hope Scarlett can be the complete package because he offers more big play potential. I don't like backs who put it on the ground. Probably
why i'm not as high on Thompson as some on the board. It appears it will be by committee, and coach will probably play the hot hand as he has in the past. If I had
to guess I would say Cronk gets the most carries because he does his job more consistently than the other guys.

#2 WR- Obviously the return of Callaway is great news. Much of last season Robinson was drawing the other teams top cover guy. That's a luxury we won't have this season, and frankly it's really the main thing D Rob brought to the table. Think in the UT game last year. Callaway, Powell and Fulwood go the far side, and Robinson
splits nearside away from the action. This was by design to keep the other teams best corner (Sutton) away from where the play was designed (Callway,Powell). Getting the best defender every snap will be new to Callaway, but he is talented enough to overcome that. Especially if some of the younger guys step up. Fulwood is what he is at this point.

#3- OL- Not sure what to make of the RJ news. Sounded great and now things have dimmed down apparently. Looks like the starting 5 will take a step forward, but the two's while young really seemed to struggle in the spring game. The interior linemen on the second team seem to have some potential (Buchanan and Desir-Jones).
I expect Jordan to start. Just not sure if it will be at RG or center.

#4- DL - A little light on the big boys for my liking. I prefer Cece at end. If they want him to play tackle on 3rd and long that's great, but he needs to be our strongside end.
I prefer pairing him with Cox who brings more to the table than Sherit. Whose really only big play he made in multiple years now was an ejection from the Vandy game.
Brantley and Ivie form a good combo and have quality backups with TB and Clark. The bad news is any of these guys get dinged we will have no other choice but to play Cece at DT. We have about 6-7 guys on the line that could play for just about any team in america. The bad news is most of the young guys just aren't ready.

#5- LB
Obviously Davis is hell of a player. Hard to count much on Anzalone. The guy just can't seem to catch a break. Mcmillan is in the same boat as Fulwood the way I see it. Good prospect that just hasn't lived up to it. Hard to expect him to change much. He gets too many dumb penalties and doesn't tackle well in the open field. Not exactly great traits for a backer. Rolin seems to be good against the run, and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. I think he can help us against LSU and Arkansas in that regard. I don't expect much from the young bucks coming in. Just run down the field on kickoff and knock the hell out of somebody on the other team. Maybe force a fumble recovery for the good guys.

#6- DB

Lots of new names. We signed two new safeties and I believe four corners. I wonder how the Juco guy from Dakota fits in here. Maybe he starts out at safety
to give Washington a push. I like Duke, Q and Tabor. Though the latter runs his mouth a bit more than I would like to see. He's probably our best player. I doubt you'll
find a better trio of corners than we have. That is assuming of course Duke stays at nickel. Hopefully Washington either improves a great deal (doubtful), or someone else like Gardner or Putu take the job.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I think if our O-Line is better (which it should be) I see a 1K rusher (or 2500 yard rushing by comity) with a 3K passer as a good possibility, and if that happens with this Defense we can make a really good run.....yes I am a :pumper:pumper and proud of it.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This year the Gators will turn to several "yet-proven" players. I think that many of them
will turn into productive players (even the freshmen and jucos). This year will be our guys'
first year at high-faith in HC McElwain, high-faith in all as a team. Think about it as a
roaring "gung-ho" enthusiasm that got disallowed by the prior CFB philosophy that was
a spiritual sinkhole. I think our players will show positive 'development' like never before.

Then, with a real adequate QB, Mac will be able to go forward with his 'in-game' craft.
I am looking forward to: #1) high scoring romps over our lesser opponents and
#2) valid defeats of our ranked opponents. Go Gators - chomp hell out of mediocrity.
#3) us not worrying while watching, as Gators do not fall behind so in score that our
faith in our Offense's sure ability to catch and surpass = LDR beknighted to Sir Pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator