Jarrad Davis boxing

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Totally agree. Enough risk of injury with practice and games. Also being a total wuss, I don't like the idea of them trying to really hurt each other in anger, and looks to me like they are throwing toward chest, neck, head. II don't think it solves any disagreements. Someone is still left angry or with hurt feelings or whatever caused the rift to start with But them they've been publicly beaten by their teammate as well. . Put your fist through a white board, run laps, pound a punching bag, not your teammate. I'm not a guy, maybe it's a guy thing.

Besides the brain injury risk, they already get enough impact that affects the suture line contacts, and bone positions of face and head, all of which can have a tremendous impact on a number of systems that then affect many other systems of the body You guys don't want a treatise on the intricacies, but I want their brains and bodies to work efficiently. They really don't need directed impact force into the head, neck, They get enough cloudiness and disruption from the usual college recreational imbibings without hitting each other in the chest, neck, head, and face outside of practice..
Jenny,
Me thinks you be channeling your inner Rog with that post.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
Serious question. How is it better? Both ways, you have at least one angry person and both ways there is physical fight..

This is a team sanctioned deal; they're doing it for fun with no malice intended...

Boys like to rough house; regardless if these men look more like men than I do; inside some of them still have 18-21 year old minds...

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
This is a team sanctioned deal; they're doing it for fun with no malice intended...

Boys like to rough house; regardless if these men look more like men than I do; inside some of them still have 18-21 year old minds...
Thanks for the reply. Appreciate you taking the time.

I thought it sounded like they were fighting because of a disagreement or incident that led to anger.

Injury risk aside, for the moment, I can see how boxing for fun is a whole different event and relationship outcome than as a conflict resolution.

And I certainly know you are on target about roughhousing boys.

My belief is that for fun doesn't change the risks, which are more plentiful than what is usually considered, even by staff. It's not just about outright brain injury, but other things that interfere with integrated thought, affect, and integrated body functioning.However, boxing for fun is certainly different than out of anger.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My belief is that for fun doesn't change the risks, which are more plentiful than what is usually considered, even by staff. It's not just about outright brain injury, but other things that interfere with integrated thought, affect, and integrated body functioning.However, boxing for fun is certainly different than out of anger.
Jennay, you know I love you, but I have no clue what that second sentence means.

Soldier and cops used to do this sort of boxing training. The point is often to teach the kids that getting hit is just getting hit. It isn't the end of the world and you can (and better) keep fighting. You'd be surprised how many in our current metrosexual society have never actually been hit in their lives. Some fear it way too much.

Yes, there is a risk but if training staff are nearby and the ensure that there are no haymakers to the head the risk is minimal. I'd have them in headgear regardless.

This sort of thing was taken out of law enforcement training due to injuries. It's probably a bad thing IMO because it weeded out some people who weren't fit for the job. It also contributes much to the "gun is the only option" mentality. Too many cops are just afraid to punch a guy and pull a gun too soon IMO. (Don't make me rant about the nearly useless flyweight "batons" that weigh little more than whiffle ball bats these guys get issued to appease the attorneys and leftists.) I know hands on is always a risk, if the cop gets knocked out the badguy is now armed, but there are many times when it is more appropriate than pulling a gun.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Jennay, you know I love you, but I have no clue what that second sentence means.

Soldier and cops used to do this sort of boxing training. The point is often to teach the kids that getting hit is just getting hit. It isn't the end of the world and you can (and better) keep fighting. You'd be surprised how many in our current metrosexual society have never actually been hit in their lives. Some fear it way too much.

Yes, there is a risk but if training staff are nearby and the ensure that there are no haymakers to the head the risk is minimal. I'd have them in headgear regardless.

This sort of thing was taken out of law enforcement training due to injuries. It's probably a bad thing IMO because it weeded out some people who weren't fit for the job. It also contributes much to the "gun is the only option" mentality. Too many cops are just afraid to punch a guy and pull a gun too soon IMO. (Don't make me rant about the nearly useless flyweight "batons" that weigh little more than whiffle ball bats these guys get issued to appease the attorneys and leftists.) I know hands on is always a risk, if the cop gets knocked out the badguy is now armed, but there are many times when it is more appropriate than pulling a gun.

Law, I see the point from your perspective, which I interpret as mental and emotional conditioning to being hit and physical violence being inflicted on you, so that you can function with focus and efficiency- and stay alive.. And yes, I see how that is useful in some professions.

In my professional background, I see the consequences of life events, including various types of forces. on how our bodies, brains, nervous systems, glands work, and don't work, or more aptly, don't work in an efficient and integrated way. I see people often years after one or multiple events. Often, (usually) their health care professional has erroneously labeled the presenting problem, and either way, the actual causes are not even in the assessment variables that were considered. (because they were not taught)

So, my perspective when I see something like the video is from how the blows to those areas can alter cognitive, and many other body processes and the ways it can impact a person's quality of life, mental and physical functioning, health problems, 10, 20, 30 years after some of events. For someone in law enforcement, staying safe and focused is going to be more of an immediate issue than what happen years later.

The risk for concussion may not be high, but there are other consequences due to the amazing intricacies of interrelationships within our human bodies that produce various degrees of snowballing and spreading impairment of cognitive and autonomic, endocrine, and other systems through time. Due to the politics of health care business, the training staff and most medical people are not trained to recognize what is happening, much less assess causes and provide effective noninvasive non harmful drug correction either short term or years later, which is when most of this starts to show up,

To each his own. As long as the players are not boxing to settle a dispute, I don't see it hurting team relationships.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.