heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
heversle said:
oxrageous;n16998 said:
It's hard to have a down year when you have the #1 recruiting class every season.

True, but their recruiting rankings won't win them games alone. The star rating of a recruit is often based on his measurables and potential. And while we all know Saban is probably the best coach in the business, not all kids will succeed in his system or respond well to his coaching. Sure they'll be able to handle the lesser teams on talent alone, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose a few games this year. As far as I've heard, they're still in the midst of a quarterback battle and they need someone to fill that huge void in leadership that McCarron left. If they aren't solid at QB this year, it may very well be a down year for the Tide.
I'm not a betting man. And only a fool would bet large sums of money on College Football. There are too many insane variables (Case in point: Auburn vs Alabama last year...have you ever seen a game end like that?) The Tide could be very good this year, but I'm just saying don't be surprised if they lose at least 2 to 3 games. Lane Kiffin is on their staff after all.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
heversle said:
oxrageous;n16998 said:
It's hard to have a down year when you have the #1 recruiting class every season.

True, but their recruiting rankings won't win them games alone. The star rating of a recruit is often based on his measurables and potential. And while we all know Saban is probably the best coach in the business, not all kids will succeed in his system or respond well to his coaching. Sure they'll be able to handle the lesser teams on talent alone, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lose a few games this year. As far as I've heard, they're still in the midst of a quarterback battle and they need someone to fill that huge void in leadership that McCarron left. If they aren't solid at QB this year, it may very well be a down year for the Tide.
A few is now TWO?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n17156 said:
Nobody's ever recruited like Bama's recruited. The closest was probably USC in the mid 2000s. I'm surprised they haven't done more with it. They have 3 NCs but should only have 2. They should've never been able to play for the 3rd. And only 2 SEC championships total. Puts SOS's dominance in perspective.

I disagree. Meyers last class was #1 overall and on signing day they were debating if it was the best class of all time. Also usc' s run eventually ended. I'm not saying it's over for bama I'm just saying they're due for a 4 or 5 loss year. Maybe not this but eventually they are going to catch some bad breaks or have some terrible qb play.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
If anyone can afford to miss on guys it is Bama. They reload. It is a well oiled machine. Their down year was last year. Expect them to go 11-1 again. That team is stacked all over. I'd be surprised if we keep it within 2 TDs. Dead serious.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n17182 said:
If anyone can afford to miss on guys it is Bama. They reload. It is a well oiled machine. Their down year was last year. Expect them to go 11-1 again. That team is stacked all over. I'd be surprised if we keep it within 2 TDs. Dead serious.

This sound like a quote that came from one of those ESPN analysts prior to the Florida-OSU championship game. All we heard was "There was no way FLORIDA could beat OSU...blah...blah...blah. I don't wan't to hear it anymore. Talent can only get you so far. College football goes in circles. No one time will dominate forever. With that said, I think we have enough talent to beat them. We are "stacked" all over as well. People just don't know about our talent yet.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906 said:
T REX;n17182 said:

This sound like a quote that came from one of those ESPN analysts prior to the Florida-OSU championship game. All we heard was "There was no way FLORIDA could beat OSU...blah...blah...blah. I don't wan't to hear it anymore. Talent can only get you so far. College football goes in circles. No one time will dominate forever. With that said, I think we have enough talent to beat them. We are "stacked" all over as well. People just don't know about our talent yet.
"stacked" all over? I hope so, but that is probably just wishful thinking. They still have to overcome the number one issue.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906 said:
T REX;n17182 said:

Uhhh, no it isn't even close that analogy. UF was ranked number two I think, right? We're coming off of a 4-9 stretch all the way back to the UL game. Bama just doesn't have talent on the field. They have the best staff on the side of the field as well directing that talent. Sorry I'm not beating around the bush but we're world's apart and it starts at the head coaching position.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;17184 said:
T REX;n17182 said:

The biggest issue is depth. Particularly on the offensive line. Our talent can match up with anybody. And defensively we are on par with Alabama (other than defensive line depth).

It's not can we beat Alabama. It's can we last the entire season with such shortcomings in our depth? We are deeper at all the skill positions which is good. But offensive line can be a killer for us.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;17178 said:
GatorJ;n17156 said:
Nobody's ever recruited like Bama's recruited. The closest was probably USC in the mid 2000s. I'm surprised they haven't done more with it. They have 3 NCs but should only have 2. They should've never been able to play for the 3rd. And only 2 SEC championships total. Puts SOS's dominance in perspective.
I disagree. Meyers last class was #1 overall and on signing day they were debating if it was the best class of all time. Also usc' s run eventually ended. I'm not saying it's over for bama I'm just saying they're due for a 4 or 5 loss year. Maybe not this but eventually they are going to catch some bad breaks or have some terrible qb play.

I think we had one or two number one classes the entire time under Urban Meyer. If I'm not mistaken, Alabama's had four or five consecutive number one classes.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;17221 said:
t-gator;17178 said:
GatorJ;n17156 said:
I think we had one or two number one classes the entire time under Urban Meyer. If I'm not mistaken, Alabama's had four or five consecutive number one classes.

And by the way a third of our 2010 class transferred and never played a down at Florida.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n16691 said:
Like Bama needs lockerroom material?

Wow, they are going to pound us into the grass. Look for several broken whiteboards next season. That guy just ain't good enough.

I see our favorite dooshnozzle T-REX is back.
tumblr_lnqus8QfqE1qzazvvo1_1280.png

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You're right about Bama's 4-5 in a row J , and Meyer did have 2 #1's, but we lost 1/3 of his last 3 classes.It started when he started going after athletes and speed rather than positions. Personally , I couldn't care about the #1 recruiting class, when most of them don't even count all the players , but rather whether or not we're filling needs.The last 2-3 classes, especially the last 2 Muschamp done a good job of filling holes. We need more depth on the O line but it is what it is. If Tommy Jordan and Valentine hadn't had to quit playing and Dunker and the other kid weren't idiots and stayed out of trouble we'd be fine. I don't agree with the statement that Bama has the best coaching staff though. Yes Saban is a better HC than Muschamp, but you go down to th e coordinators, their OC Kiffen , our DC Muschamp ( yes he is the DC) , Muschamp wind.I would call Smart v Roper a push , possibly a slight edge to Roper simply because he has a lot more,and better weapons at his disposal at Florida than at Duke. Roper will also have a lot more tape to study than Smart, most of Ropers will be from Duke , and while Smart will be able to extrapolate what Roper will do it will be harder for Smart to plan.

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
You're right about Bama's 4-5 in a row J , and Meyer did have 2 #1's, but we lost 1/3 of his last 3 classes.It started when he started going after athletes and speed rather than positions. Personally , I couldn't care about the #1 recruiting class, when most of them don't even count all the players , but rather whether or not we're filling needs.The last 2-3 classes, especially the last 2 Muschamp done a good job of filling holes. We need more depth on the O line but it is what it is. If Tommy Jordan and Valentine hadn't had to quit playing and Dunker and the other kid weren't idiots and stayed out of trouble we'd be fine. I don't agree with the statement that Bama has the best coaching staff though. Yes Saban is a better HC than Muschamp, but you go down to th e coordinators, their OC Kiffen , our DC Muschamp ( yes he is the DC) , Muschamp wind.I would call Smart v Roper a push , possibly a slight edge to Roper simply because he has a lot more,and better weapons at his disposal at Florida than at Duke. Roper will also have a lot more tape to study than Smart, most of Ropers will be from Duke , and while Smart will be able to extrapolate what Roper will do it will be harder for Smart to plan.
I don't know if Roper has a better quarterback than he had at Duke. The rest of the players on Florida's offense haven't proved anything yet, so we don't know if they are talented. But Roper's offense won't work without a good quarterback, so even if UF has talent at other positions on offense, they'll be rendered impotent by a bad quarterback. Driskel will actually have to become a real quarterback and be accurate, make good decisions, and he might even have to show he can read a defense. He has not yet shown that he can read a defense or make good decisions. He is not accurate on down field passes. He is accurate on short passes, but misses just enough of them to get you beat. Remember how he opened the Sugar Bowl or his second interception against Miami? Will Driskel become a good quarterback? Who knows. But I don't think a leopard changes it's spots, so I'm inclined to believe he'll never be good.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator;17234 said:
Great post Sonoma. Saban is supposed to be the best. Yet he has ONLY 2 SEC championships. That's with FIVE consecutive #1 classes. And he routinely dismisses players that can't win starting spots and gray shirts kids to get an extra year of development. Yes, he has 3 NCs but that's because he backed into the 3rd one. I think that's the only time a non conference winner has ever won the BCS MNC. I think Spurrier coaches circles around Saban.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Composite Recruiting Rankings, 2010-2013
Rivals Scout

1st ranking col is Rivals, 2nd is Scout
AlabamaNo. 1No. 146-7No. 7
FloridaNo. 2No. 730-21Not ranked
USCNo. 3No. 11 (tied)35-17Not ranked
Florida StateNo. 4No. 645-10No. 1
AuburnNo. 5No. 2 (tied)37-16No. 2
LSUNo. 6No. 2 (tied)44-9No. 14
TexasNo. 7No. 2 (tied)30-21Not ranked
Ohio StateNo. 8No. 2 (tied)42-10No. 12
GeorgiaNo. 9No. 9 (tied)36-18No. 31
OklahomaNo. 10 (tied)No. 843-10No. 6
Notre DameNo. 10 (tied)No. 11 (tied)37-15No. 20
MichiganNo. 12No. 9 (tied)33-19Not ranked
ClemsonNo. 13No. 1438-15No. 8
TennesseeNo. 14 (tied)No. 1721-28Not ranked
OregonNo. 14 (tied)No. 1347-6No. 9
Texas A&MNo. 16No. 1936-16No. 18
UCLANo. 17No. 1629-24No. 16
South CarolinaNo. 18No. 1842-11No. 4
NebraskaNo. 19No. 2438-16No. 26
MiamiNo. 20No. 2029-21Not ranked
CaliforniaNo. 21No. 2616-33Not ranked
Ole MissNo. 22No. 2221-29No. 33
WashingtonNo. 23No. 1530-22No. 25
Virginia TechNo. 24No. 3137-17Not ranked
StanfordNo. 25No. 2546-8No. 11
Oklahoma StateNo. 26No. 2141-11No. 17
ArkansasNo. 28No. 2328-22Not ranked
It was not possible for AL.com to create composite top-25 rankings for 247Sports or ESPN from 2010 to 2013. ESPN only ranked 25 teams prior to last season, and 247Sports did not exist for the 2010 signing class.
Team rankings are often so similar between sites that 247Sports chooses to simply offer composite rankings. The web site averages its own rankings with three other major recruiting media outlets to spit out a consensus.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bama has a better chance of going undefeated than chance of losing 2 games. Coaching and play-style will make a solid QB of Coker.
Yulee-Henry is liable to turn Herschell Walker-type for his sophomore season. ?? Top recruiting class will play high calibre. All regrettable.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
divits said:
T REX;n16691 said:
Like Bama needs lockerroom material?

Wow, they are going to pound us into the grass. Look for several broken whiteboards next season. That guy just ain't good enough.

I see our favorite dooshnozzle T-REX is back.
tumblr_lnqus8QfqE1qzazvvo1_1280.png
Aren't we lucky?

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Saying one guy is a better coach than another is rather useless without some parameters.

Are we talking about total wins?
Recruiting Ranking?
Player Development?
Giving interviews?
Graduation % ?
Fund Raising?
Championships?
Giving funny quotes?
Record against Rivals?
Salary?
Longevity?
Players sent to the NFL?
Game Coach?
etc
etc

I think Saban is more of a CEO/Recruiter than a Game Day Coach, that's why he doesn't win every game.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
heversle said:
oxrageous;n16998 said:

No. Quote him properly. He mentioned 2 or 3 games. 2 or 3, not TWO.

...also...

few [fyoo]
adjective, few·er, few·est.
1. not many but more than one

Using the first definition listed on dictionary.com 2 or 3 fits very nicely. :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator