Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well. All hell's about to break loose.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Stuff like this is usually settled in the appeals courts.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A federal judge ruled Friday that the NCAA’s rules prohibiting athletes from being paid for use of their names, images and likeness violate antitrust law. The ruling in the five-year case of the Ed O’Bannon lawsuit allows for trust funds to be established for athletes to share in licensing revenue.

In a 99-page opinion, U.S. District Judge Claudia Wilken issued an injunction “that will enjoin the NCAA from enforcing any rules or bylaws that would prohibit its member schools and conferences from offering their FBS football or Division I basketball recruits a limited share of the revenues generated from the use of their names, images, and likenesses in addition to a full grant-in-aid.” Wilken said the injunction will not prevent the NCAA from implementing rules capping the amount of money that may be paid to college athletes while they are enrolled in school, but the NCAA will not be allowed to set the cap below the cost of attendance.

The injunction will also prohibit the NCAA from “enforcing any rules to prevent its member schools and conferences from offering to deposit a limited share of licensing revenue in trust for their FBS football and Division I basketball recruits, payable when they leave school or their eligibility expires,” Wilken wrote. Her injunction will allow the NCAA to set a cap on the money held in that trust, but prohibits the NCAA’s cap to be less than $5,000 for every year an athlete remains academically eligible to compete.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't care if the athletes get part of the money, I want my NCAA 14.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n26753 said:

So Law , serious question, I realize you haven't read the whole ruling, or maybe you have, do you think it'll stand?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No. The trial judge really doesn't matter. The appeal is all that matters and this will probably go to the Supreme Court.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n26753 said:
Why you probably suck at that too:chickenlittle:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Law98gator;n26753 said:
Why you probably suck at that too:chickenlittle:
I suck at a lot of things.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
A great breakdown of the ruling. This one allows each institution (school or conference) to set licensing payments per student not lower than certain tuition parameters. And no collusion. It doesn't rule in individual licensing payment negotiation.

But it doesn't allow It looks like there is another case that pushing for that. It's being led by the same attorney that spearheaded NFL Free Agency.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/08/08/ed-obannon-trial-ncaa-ruling

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator