Justus Reed

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
I know he's listed as a defensive end, but honestly he hasn't gotten much playing time there and I just don't know if he'll ever make any meaningful contribution there. At 6'3 240lbs why not try him at linebacker with our need at the position?

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Did you see him try to cover Goolsby in the Spring game? He isn't athletic enough to play LB.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
Did you see him try to cover Goolsby in the Spring game? He isn't athletic enough to play LB.
If anything with his size I'd give him a shot at middle linebacker rather than outside which requires more mobility. At inside, I could see him as a run-stopper used for running downs.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
If anything with his size I'd give him a shot at middle linebacker rather than outside which requires more mobility. At inside, I could see him as a run-stopper used for running downs.

Idk that he has the type of mobility to play any of the LB positions. I'm sure if he does they'll explore the possibility

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Idk that he has the type of mobility to play any of the LB positions. I'm sure if he does they'll explore the possibility
This is true. The Middle and Weakside LBs often draw the RB in coverage. Can you imagine him trying to cover a 4.4 back?

Mikes and Wills have to run better than the Sam. Generally the Will is the fastest. The Sam is often the taller slimmer guy bc he has to cover those 6-5 tight ends. Brian Crum and Rolin are prototypical as far as size goes.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
This is true. The Middle and Weakside LBs often draw the RB in coverage. Can you imagine him trying to cover a 4.4 back?

Mikes and Wills have to run better than the Sam. Generally the Will is the fastest. The Sam is often the taller slimmer guy bc he has to cover those 6-5 tight ends. Brian Crum and Rolin are prototypical as far as size goes.

image.gif

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
:exactly:
He was one of just two or three guys I singled out that played poorly in the O&B game. Harris and Burnett were the other 2 (Burnett I can forgive as he should still be in HS). Just don't think Reed is ever going to be a contributor, except on the scout team.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
He was one of just two or three guys I singled out that played poorly in the O&B game. Harris and Burnett were the other 2 (Burnett I can forgive as he should still be in HS). Just don't think Reed is ever going to be a contributor, except on the scout team.

Yup that's what it looks like. Who knows though, we've had late bloomers before

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
In the spring game, Ancrum, Jordan Smith, Davis, and Zuniga all looked quicker and more athletic. Reed just isn't very good. I don't think he's anywhere near fluid enough in the hips to play linebacker.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was a highly ranked recruit too. Four-star recruit. But he just didn't have the size coming out of high school for DE.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

As far as Burnett is concerned, it's hard to be physical at the college level when you're only 150 pounds.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hence why AC was a last day draft choice despite some of you thinking, falsely, that he was an elite player.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What? A 4 star that cant contribute?
Justus Reed? He was a low 3 star scrap heaper we "stole" from Duke, Connecticut, and FIU. https://rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/148801 And he apparently has avoided the weight room like the Plague and underperformed even his crappy star ranking. Signig a 215 lb STRONGSIDE end (=slow bc 215 lb is way undersized even for a weakside end) was always folley unless he somehow managed to get up to 285-300 lbs. Yet another in our long string of wasted low 3 stars. If you mine for gold in the trask pile, youd better be quick to send them on their way when they fail to pan out.

Last edited:

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Justus Reed? He was a low 3 star scrap heaper we "stole" from Duke, Connecticut, and FIU. https://rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/148801 And he apparently has avoided the weight room like the Plague and underperformed even his crappy star ranking. Signig a 215 lb STRONGSIDE end (=slow bc 215 lb is way undersized even for a weakside end) was always folley unless e somehow managed to get up to 285-300 lbs. Yet another in our longg string of wasted low 3 stars.

He did have offers from FSU and Ohio St...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Lololololol. No he didnt. Uncommitables arent offers. Some schools send out 1500 uncommitables. If they wont even give you an unofficial visit and you have no assigned recruiter it means roughly the equivalent of "send us some tape" and we will let the ga look at it. Come on bro.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.