Kentucky Bball in Shambles: Hiring a bum from BYU

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
$33m buyout for Calipari if they fired him. He owes them nothing for leaving.
It is amazing. Think of how much they saved. Or how lucky Oregon is to bot have to pay a cent to be rid of Original Taggart and Moron Mario vs how much we have and will have to pay to flush our turds.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
so is this actually a done deal? nothing has been formally announced. I heard this morning on the sports radio that there may be an issue b/c his contract stipulates he's not allowed to communicate with other schools about potential employment. i realize he hasnt, his agent has, but the word on the street is KY thinks they may have a leg to stand on in this situation. personally I'd encourage him to walk. the fan base wanted him gone, its clear his lost his mojo, and its obvious he doesnt want to be there anymore. why hold him hostage when you can release him scott free and look like the good guy? either way KY sucks at life :lol:

Why would UK care? As it is, they don't have to pay him a buyout. It was time to make a move. He wasn't doing as well. Fans were not happy. Firing him would be very expensive in the next few years.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What was Calipari's deal, lost his edge recruiting and gave up?
The problem is that high school recruiting is only half the battle now. He can’t rely on recruiting services anymore.

You have to have an eye for talent and fit from the transfer portal.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The problem is that high school recruiting is only half the battle now. He can’t rely on recruiting services anymore.

You have to have an eye for talent and fit from the transfer portal.
Not only that. A few years back, duke started reeling in the top tier guys and the g league ignite started taking a few of the elite guys. So landing those 1 and done lottery picks became pretty scarce for him .And like you said, at that point, you have to really be able to evaluate the transfer portal and he obviously wasn't as good at that.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Not only that. A few years back, duke started reeling in the top tier guys and the g league ignite started taking a few of the elite guys. So landing those 1 and done lottery picks became pretty scarce for him .And like you said, at that point, you have to really be able to evaluate the transfer portal and he obviously wasn't as good at that.
Cal realized too late that some vets can help and they had two 4 or 5 year guys this year along with all those frosh. Problem is Cal is a shyt game coach. He made his mark with good talent and playing tough D and owning the boards like he did at UMass and Memphis. when he went away from that and tried to join the we are a great offense, he showed he sux. And you cannot win with just the best frosh anymore. His teams losses recently in the tourney were to smaller schools but with veteran players and probably a better coach.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Said he never felt completely comfortable in Kentucky. Was really looking for more of true southern state.
The problem with Kentucky is that if you go 5 minutes out of Louisville, Lexington or Frankfort, you’re in…

deliverance GIF

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Everyone here needs to remember one key fact.

If at any point during the last ten years you believed that Cal was a fraud, the expert of experts in college basketball would set you straight.
Dick Vitale would always say “If you don’t think that John Calipari is a great coach then you don’t know anything about basketball.”

This is one of many reasons why I have enjoyed his dumb a$$ no longer being on the air. This arrogant bs was presented as expert insight for years when in reality it was nothing but Vitale’s never ending obsession with Italian American coaches that dates back to the early eighties. Norm Sloan was the only coach brave enough to say it to the media and he was ridiculed for it.

Got anything else really stupid you want to say Mr Vitale?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Hurley, Jay Wright, Oats, and now Scott Drew said nope. BD said he's committed to Chicago and seems like the owners like him enough to keep him around.

This is turning into Tennessee football type search.

Golden's name is getting floated on the next tier, but I doubt they hire a young newbie.

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Hurley, Jay Wright, Oats, and now Scott Drew said nope. BD said he's committed to Chicago and seems like the owners like him enough to keep him around.

This is turning into Tennessee football type search.

Golden's name is getting floated on the next tier, but I doubt they hire a young newbie.

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

I’d live to see them squirm and flail, but there’s no way Hurley holds out forever. The biggest problem is that UK somehow let it get out that not only was 12 mil was their offer, but they’d be willing to go higher if rejected. That is some Foley/Stricklin level negotiations right there. Bottom line, between the salary, support and even cost of living, he’ll event ave if they keep going. This feels like Alabama/Saban 2007.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah sounds like the next one they are trying to get is Mark Pope, HC of BYU. He is a former UK Player

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator