Lakeland’s Bill Castle Retires as Winningest Florida HS coach

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
After 47 years, Bill Castle retires as Lakeland's football coach

Castle retires with a 473-98 record. The eight titles, which came in '86, '96, '99, '04, '05, '06, '18 and '22, are the most in Florida from a public school. He led Lakeland to the championship game nine times with the only loss coming in 2008 to Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas. Lakeland is 5-1 all time vs. Aquinas in state title games.

What a great coach.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Woooooow. Thought he'd die on the sidelines. He's in my backyard so I watch a ton of Lakeland football. They had a great team this year. Gonna be weird without him

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Woooooow. Thought he'd die on the sidelines. He's in my backyard so I watch a ton of Lakeland football. They had a great team this year. Gonna be weird without him
I grew up in Lakeland and worked there for 15 years after UF, went to many LHS games. (Our oldest son was in the band.) Great program. Definitely weird without him.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I grew up in Lakeland and worked there for 15 years after UF, went to many LHS games. (Our oldest son was in the band.) Great program. Definitely weird without him.
He surprised me this year, he evolved in his coaching and was more aggressive. Last year when they lost to lake gibson twice I called him a dinosaur because of his style of coaching. Makes me wonder if he was changing things up in preparation for hanging it over

Turk182

Founding Member
Just don't care anymore
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Much appreciation for his efforts!

Nulli Secundus !

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
A lot of GatorNaught greats over the years. Wayne Peace, David Williams, the Pounceys, Rainey, Ahmad Black come to mind quickly.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Yes, he kept this decision very close to the vest. He said winning the championship had nothing to do with his decision it was just time to step away and travel with his wife. Going to be interesting to learn the direction the school goes. Speculation is Ahmed Black will be considered as he has been coaching the DB's last couple of years and is a real favorite of the players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator