Last Chance U - Laney College

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Released today - this season follows Laney College in Oakland (which is good because I was getting sick of that head coach in Kansas). It's one of my favorite non-fiction shows on TV.
Anybody else going to watch it?

Name and town if you wish to opine.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I’ll check it out, I watched the prior seasons and they were good.

QueenCityGator

Aug 12, 2014
So far so good. Coach Beam is much more likable than that ass in Kansas. Other players have interesting stories too.

BluH2OGtr

May 28, 2016
I have watched the first couple episodes....its just meh. Not trying to discount those kids situations, but I think I'm just burned out on the whole "whoa is me" sob stories portrayed in this show.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I have watched the first couple episodes....its just meh. Not trying to discount those kids situations, but I think I'm just burned out on the whole "whoa is me" sob stories portrayed in this show.

Watching these kids working jobs to pay their way and sleeping in cars is tough.

Meanwhile you have other players who are given everything and it’s still not enough.

QueenCityGator

Aug 12, 2014
Watching these kids working jobs to pay their way and sleeping in cars is tough.

Meanwhile you have other players who are given everything and it’s still not enough.
Compared to D1, not an easy life being an athlete at a community college. Free clothes and extra academic help are definitely added perks, but there's only so many resources to distribute.
Some players will make it to D1, some will get a four year degree, but most are just going to get some college credits and end up in a menial job.

QueenCityGator

Aug 12, 2014
I always wondered why FL didn't have football teams at their community colleges. Plenty of decent high school athletes not good enough for D1. I could root for BCC against MDCC!

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Have to be frank here... I watched all of the Last Chance U shows and I now understand why we don't recruit JUCO's heavily. Damn, some of those kids are horrendous and the teams that won National Championships would lose to St. Thomas Aquinas in my opinion. Definitely not the best football I have ever seen.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Have to be frank here... I watched all of the Last Chance U shows and I now understand why we don't recruit JUCO's heavily. Damn, some of those kids are horrendous and the teams that won National Championships would lose to St. Thomas Aquinas in my opinion. Definitely not the best football I have ever seen.
As best as I can recall, we have only had a few JUCOs over the years who ever made any meaningful contributions.
Perhaps there’s a thread on this, but who is UFs best former JUCO? Reggie Nelson?

ergator920103

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
None of these players on Last Chance were close to Reggie Nelson. I would say he was the very best JUCO player we ever had.

QueenCityGator

Aug 12, 2014
It was funny watching one of the games during this season where I swear it was a 400 lb lineman "running" to chase the scrambling Laney QB. I'm sure that guy has no D1 offers.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
This season was pretty lame compared to the previous 4.

It wasn’t bad, necessarily, but just paled in comparison.

QueenCityGator

Aug 12, 2014
This season was pretty lame compared to the previous 4.

It wasn’t bad, necessarily, but just paled in comparison.
Good point, there wasn't anything outrageous (like anyone kicked off the team, a brawl, etc). Also it's anticlimatic when the team is .500 vs when the team is trying to stay undefeated and win a championship. This may be first season where the starting QB is an afterthought during filming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator