Lewis is rare star who dominates without scoring

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Here is 247's take on Lewis:

Brian Snow 247sports.com said:
From basically the beginning of his high school career, Scottie Lewis has been a superstar player. Lewis has been one of the best prospects in the country from the time he was a freshman, and he has long made a huge impact on games. However, what is so unique about Lewis is that he can take over games without dominating the ball or even scoring.

When most people think of a star player, they think of gaudy numbers. They think of a player who fills [the box score with points, someone who jumps of the page with numbers. Uniquely that has never been the case with Lewis. Lewis was one of the best players at this summer's NBPA Top 100 Camp, yet he wasn't one of the top scorers. Also this summer with Team Rio he absolutely took over games and willed his team to wins, yet he only averaged a shade over 10 points per contest.

Click below to read the rest:

Lewis is rare star who dominates without scoring

Here are more complete stats from Team Rio this past summer: 11 UAA games 10.5 points (on very few shots as the article says, 100 shots in those 11 games as I remember), 5.4 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 3.5 turnovers per game. He shot 53% on two point shots, 23% from outside the arc and 83% from the FT line.

The article mentions a couple of NBA players, but the recent recruit his described talent reminds me of is Justise Winslow who went to Duke for a year and now plays for the Heat. Winslow was another skilled guy who did not take a huge number of shots.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I think he will pick up his scoring in college. He's incredibly athletic, more athletic than Winslow I think, and not as much of an outside threat currently. But he has a good stroke, is a high percentage FT shooter so looks like the type that can pretty easily develop into a solid 3 pt shooter, and when he does he should be a lottery pick.

He looks like he has One and done talent but hopefully is interested in the degree, or at least a second year where he will be too good to keep off the court except for breathers.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I think he will pick up his scoring in college. He's incredibly athletic, more athletic than Winslow I think, and not as much of an outside threat currently. But he has a good stroke, is a high percentage FT shooter so looks like the type that can pretty easily develop into a solid 3 pt shooter, and when he does he should be a lottery pick.

He looks like he has One and done talent but hopefully is interested in the degree, or at least a second year where he will be too good to keep off the court except for breathers.

He’s more athletic than Winslow but not as strong and smaller. Actually probably a better shooter than Winslow who has struggled with his shot with the Heat and also has not been a good finisher. But Winslow is a lockdown defender who can defend 1-4 and 5 in a pinch. He is also very intelligent on the floor so much so that the Heat have begun using him as a point forward at times and bringing the ball up. Incredibly hard worker and great teammate.

I think Lewis is going to bring a bunch of that to the Gators!

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

1. I agree that he is more athletic than Winslow as makes sense due to him being listed 1 inch shorter and 25 lbs lighter on 247sports. BTW, Lewis is 11 in their composite rankings while Winslow was 13 his year.

2. As far as the shooting goes, I was surprised to see that Winslow shot 40%+ from the arc at Duke and agree Lewis can develop into a solid low shot volume shooter from the arc. I did just think to look at his FIBA stats playing for Donovan. Winslow scored 9.9 points per game on less than 7 shots per game in 8 games. He also averaged 8.8 rebounds, 1.6 assists and 1.6 turnovers per game. He shot 54.1% inside the arc 1 for 2 or 50% from the arc and 55.6% from the FT line.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wow! The one & done NBA chute is now so inclined that "one can only hope Lewis stays a 2nd year to at least get to contribute to our 1st string floor presence, before he jumps to the NBA."

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
He’s more athletic than Winslow but not as strong and smaller. Actually probably a better shooter than Winslow who has struggled with his shot with the Heat and also has not been a good finisher. But Winslow is a lockdown defender who can defend 1-4 and 5 in a pinch. He is also very intelligent on the floor so much so that the Heat have begun using him as a point forward at times and bringing the ball up. Incredibly hard worker and great teammate.

I think Lewis is going to bring a bunch of that to the Gators!

Agree, Lewis length and athleticism will allow him to be a great defender. And our S&C for BB has remained top notch so he shouldn't have much trouble putting on some mass.

But he's not going to be Winslow's size and strength so probably going to get pushed around some in college as a freshman. Winslow is much more built, Adonis physique type and taller. Not as fast as Lewis, less of a threat scoring above the rim, higher 3 point percentage (shot 41% from 3 at Duke).

Honestly, I don't really care about a Dook/Heat player but am thrilled with White grabbing a future lottery pick away from UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator