Recruiting Lightning-fast WR Grant Holloway commits — to Gators track

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure someone on here knows the answer to this. I thought if you played 2 sports and one was football, then football had to pick up the scholarship.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There's only like one highlight that shows him taking advantage of his speed. I think track will continue to be his focus.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure someone on here knows the answer to this. I thought if you played 2 sports and one was football, then football had to pick up the scholarship.

That's correct. The link in the OP goes into detail on that.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

From the article...

And Holloway signing with track, rather than committing to play football at Florida, means that he's going to begin as a preferred walk-on with the football team. But that doesn't mean Jim McElwain found a clever way to circumvent NCAA rules: As soon as Holloway participates in a football game, he would count against the Gators' scholarship totals in both football and track, though he could only count against the 85-scholarship limit in football.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I remember hearing this rule came about because Bear Bryant would over-recruit (shocking, I know) and put guys on baseball, track, or any other scholarship he could. Not sure if that's true, but it sounds like something he's do

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
According to the article his goal is the Olympics and not the NFL. Good luck to the kid.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So the kid comes out and practices as a preferred walk-on. If he turns out to be very good and somebody who can contribute then sure give him a scholly.. otherwise he can run track and be great there

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm glad he's walking on. I'm sure McElwain will have scholarship room for him eventually.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, I remember hearing this rule came about because Bear Bryant would over-recruit (shocking, I know) and put guys on baseball, track, or any other scholarship he could. Not sure if that's true, but it sounds like something he's do

Bryant is the reason for scholarship limits. Not sure if this is part of that or not. In his day, he wasn't limited by 85 schollies. So Bryant would sign the best he could, and all the top players in the South wanted to play for him. He figured if the top HS players had to ride the pine, at least he didn't have to play against them. Plus he got to figure out who was the best through competition.

Saban deserves more props. He's figured out how to accomplish the same type of thing with schollie limits. Granted, Saban has done it by effing over a bunch of kids.

As for Holloway, how does he not end up as a gunner on Special Teams?

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Cool that he has the same last name as the track coach.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Yeah, Bryant Rule. Bama's basketball coach back then was very well paid but didn't win much.

Alex.

Oklahoma Gator

Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2015
He looks big… With that kindly speed size combination I would be interested to see what a smart coach can do with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator