Sep 8, 2014
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/matt-jones-will-muschamp/

Former Gators RB takes jab at Will Muschamp
4fbb16b8e482c3f4a7a50c795c67c8bd
Nick Cole | 1 HOUR AGO
SHARE ARTICLE
TWEET ARTICLE
USATSI_8855352_168381178_lowres-650x342.jpg

Former Gators RB Matt Jones was a Will Muschamp guy, which is probably what makes this story sting the most.

Recruited and signed by Florida in 2012 under Muschamp’s watch, Jones played three seasons for the former Gators coach before entering the NFL in 2015.

Now a member of the Washington Redskins, Jones was back in Gainesville on Tuesday to take in Florida’s pro day and practice.

Reporters asked him about second-year Florida coach Jim McElwain, and his response was pretty telling when he tried to compare him to Muschamp:

Matt Jones checked out UF practice: "I love Muschamp too, but I think McElwain is more calm, relaxed. And people respect him a little more."

— Landon Watnick (@LandonWatnick) March 22, 2016

Sorta interesting note from Matt Jones. Said of Jim McElwain: “Guys respect him more” than they did Will Muschamp.

— Phillip Heilman (@phillip_heilman) March 22, 2016
Ouch.

The first part about McElwain being more calm and relaxed is fine, because even Muschamp himself would probably acknowledge that McElwain is the more easy going of the two.

But the part about people respecting McElwain more than Muschamp has to hurt the new Gamecocks coach.

That kind of statement coming from one of his former players in comparison to a coach for which Jones has never even played is not exactly a ringing endorsement for the way he treated his players while at Florida.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I posted this in a different thread and thought it was very interesting. Muschamp was always known as a players coach so I find it interesting that one of his own says guys respect McElwain more... maybe that is because they realize Muschamp really didn't know what he was doing...

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I posted this in a different thread and thought it was very interesting. Muschamp was always known as a players coach so I find it interesting that one of his own says guys respect McElwain more... maybe that is because they realize Muschamp really didn't know what he was doing...

That's a guruvy conclusion by ATX.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I can guarantee you that many pairs of eyes rolled many times over the years when Muschamp would open his mouth in meetings and at practices.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Oh man, you mean he didn't take an actual jab at him? :(

Maxxodd

Chill Winston
Lifetime Member
Dec 2, 2015
I don't think this is Jones "taking a jab" at Muschamp. Its Jones being honest and telling it like it is.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can guarantee you that many pairs of eyes rolled many times over the years when Muschamp would open his mouth in meetings and at practices.
Last year when Mac ripped KT a new one, you saw players react. Then you would see clips of Muschamp throwing a fit and the players didn't even look at him, just used to the same old ****.

srivet

Founding Member
Just another fan
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Zook was known as a "players' coach" as well. Don't take my word for it - ask the frat boys.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
After a while Mustank's schtick got old, really old. It's one thing to get crazy and fire a team up. But to get crazy and b!tch at them....that's what WM does now.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
" but I think McElwain is more calm, relaxed." Matt Jones

Did he say "I think"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.