McArthur Burnett

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm slinging dislikes today. I didn't remember him ever committing to ugly at any point.

I blame Alcoholica's link for infecting me, and I blame his Eason love for all of it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nuthin but love, AR.

The truth is I'm unlikely to remember it myself. I'm not like 78 or Sofla who remembers every post from years ago somehow. It's just a message board.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm slinging dislikes today. I didn't remember him ever committing to ugly at any point.

I blame Alcoholica's link for infecting me, and I blame his Eason love for all of it.
haha, you need a beer buddy

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't realize he was from Pahokee. Now I love him.

Just keep him away from Treon's weed dealers.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't there a 2* kid who ended up being arguably our most electric KR/PR in school history? I think he owns some property inside neyland stadium, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are thinking of Brandon James, he was a 3 star.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This says he was the #3 athlete, not CB. He had never played CB before getting to campus.

We recruited him as a CB. Many times athletes are brought in to play CB. And many times quarterbacks are quarterbacks in high school because they are the best athlete on the team. We have history of bringing in high school quarterbacks who would been downright dominant in other positions.

He was a four star. And was highly coveted as a CB across the country.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We recruited him as a CB. Many times athletes are brought in to play CB. And many times quarterbacks are quarterbacks in high school because they are the best athlete on the team. We have history of bringing in high school quarterbacks who would been downright dominant in other positions.

He was a four star. And was highly coveted as a CB across the country.

He was a 3* Safety according to ESPN - a 4* athlete according to Yahoo.

He was brought in to play offense but he wanted to play and not sit.

'You can go play cornerback.' And I'd never played corner before, and I was like, 'So now I have to guard Percy?' And he was like, 'Yeah.' I was like, 'Okay, we'll work on it.' "

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/col...igh-school-quarterback-to-all-america/1056161

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

'You can go play cornerback.' And I'd never played corner before, and I was like, 'So now I have to guard Percy?' And he was like, 'Yeah.' I was like, 'Okay, we'll work on it.' "

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/col...igh-school-quarterback-to-all-america/1056161

Yes. I remember Meyer during an interview once. He said something like he was gonna play offense and then one day during warm ups one of the older defensive players had been so impressed with him, he approached UM and told him there was enough athletes on offense and they needed this guy on the D.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Regardless of the article, I remember pretty explicitly that he was considered a super athletic player and we really wanted him at corner. CB was a disaster prior to him and he was a raw but natural fit. We were stoked when he committed because we thought he'd be a really good corner and we were in desperate need of one.

Another example would be D'Anfernee McGriff. He's listed as an ATH but we recruited him for HB/TE Hybrid. McGriff is a bit of an aberration though. I bet if you look through Rivals' UF ATH recruits the majority ended up at DB.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
ONE VERY FLORIDA GATORS THING ABOUT THIS RECRUITING CLASS

It includes McArthur Burnett, a running back and early enrollee. He came in as a three-star, but whatever, there are so many more important things about him to talk about than his recruiting ranking. These things, in order of importance for being a Florida Gator:

1. He got flagged on multiple occasions for flipping into the endzone on TDs in high school.
  2. He is from Pahokee, aka Muck City, and is a first-rate rabbit chaser.
  3. His nickname is "Nut-nut."
Clearly, even if he does not play a down, he is a strong indicator of this team's overall positive Florida-ness.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A defensive Brandon James?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member