McElroy says Mac will get it right, piles on Chump

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Former Bama QB says Mac will bring UF back, but that Chump left the cupboard bare.

https://www.gatorsports.com/article/20150824/ARTICLES/150829837/1136/FRONTPAGE

“I felt like in Will Muschamp’s tenure, when he signed on he inherited a group of recruits that were recruited to play in Urban Meyer’s system. Charlie Weis was hired to become the offensive coordinator and run a pro-style offense. I wasn’t sure that it was the best fit. I thought it was a square-peg, round-hole scenario.

“Jim McElwain, however, if Treon Harris is the starting quarterback, he’ll incorporate those zone reads and do some more out of the shotgun, movement-type plays, anything to confuse the defense. ... I look at that offense, it seemed a little beaten down at times last year. It didn’t seem very confident, Jeff Driskel especially. So turning over a new page, I’m excited for what he’s going to do in Gainesville.”

“Contrary to what other coaches have said and contrary to what people think, there were very few talented players,” McElroy said. “You have some pieces in place, yes, but they’re going to be young and have to develop. If they get to six, seven, eight wins this year, that would be an incredible job by Jim McElwain.
“I think in the near future they will eventually get to that point where they have the depth to be able to compete in a conference that is incredibly physical, but right now they’re not even close to being there.”

yeah, yeah. dead horse. i know. but he's noting just how far down we were left by chump and how hard Mac is going to work to get us back. and 7 wins is about where i put us. 9 or 10 is beyond the pale.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the problem is that everybody keeps talking about offense. We haven't had an offense for four years. Our defense alone will keep us in 7 to 8 games.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Que T Rex to come in and say despite the mess we're in, coach Mac should have 5 stars beating down our door begging to come aboard. :heehee:

In in all seriousness, if we have a "decent" showing on the field it will be promising to fans and recruits alike.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.

G.Patton

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've seen Vanderbilt win 9 games 2 years in a row with the right coach. I don't see why we couldn't with the right guy here. Not saying its gonna happen, just saying it's doable.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Bammers are in unanimous agreement that Mac is a great coach. You never heard that regarding Chimp or Dooley.

Of course Bammers, Meatchickens and Cowbells are glad that Nusschamp and Collins are gone. Let's hope the whole is greater than the sum of the parts with respect to the DC and OC.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I like McElroy, he's a great young analyst. His radio show on Sirius 91, The First Team, is as good as any national show out there. However, his last visit to Gainesville was in Spring and he witnessed the offensive line struggles. His predictions for this year are based off what he saw then. There's a good chance the that we are much better up front than most national media realize. I'm hopeful that we are going to surprise a few people this year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
We're not Vandy - take that as you wish.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Coach Mac adapts to the talent he has. According to Powell he has a plan in his play calling. That alone gives me hope because the previous regime didn't do that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorphan;n265592 said:
I like McElroy, he's a great young analyst....His predictions for this year are based off what he saw then.
You don't think he has talked to his old boss?

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guess this is better than when the Pillsbury throw boy went on the air and basically said that Pease was a giant a-hole and would fail.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Have you seen the comments about Nusschamp?

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n265666 said:
You don't think he has talked to his old boss?
I listen to The First Team every day and I'm convinced he hasn't communicated with Mac since Fall camp began. Tomorrow about 9:20-9:30 AM, he and Taylor Zarzour will give their predictions for the SEC East. Tune and listen. It's easy to deduct that he hasn't kept up with Fall camp. They will both predict us to finish 4th in the East and base it on the weak offensive line. Our O-line still might suck, but he won't mention the extra bodies, Halter, the talented freshmen, potential of Sharpe, and the return of Thurman; all of which will be a factor this year.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Law98gator;n265670 said:
Have you seen the comments about Nusschamp?

I'll admit, surprisingly few comments about Nuss...or most of the other coaches for that matter outside of JMac, and occasionally Shannon. Most of the Nuss comments I've seen anywhere have been all negative, and all from you.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorphan;n265679 said:
They will both predict us to finish 4th in the East and base it on the weak offensive line.
Everyone, including our own pumper analysts pick us to finish between 4th and 6th and note our weak offensive line.

Make no mistake, we still have a historically bad OL, it's just not as bad as when we seemed destined to play tuba players there.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TLB;n265680 said:
I'll admit, surprisingly few comments about Nuss...or most of the other coaches for that matter outside of JMac, and occasionally Shannon. Most of the Nuss comments I've seen anywhere have been all negative, and all from you.
Really? You read nothing but this board?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.