McElwain discusses Wed's practice (8/31)

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Note: DO NOT ask McElwain to name the senior who is suspended for game 1!!!!

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/live-blog-jim-mcelwain-recaps-florida-gators-practice-Wednesday

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Florida Gators head coach Jim McElwain met with reporters to recap practice Wednesday.

It was McElwain’s final press conference for the week heading into the season opener with Massachusetts on Saturday night.

Here were the highlights:

• McElwain on emphasis at practice: “I thought Monday and Tuesday we had really, really good practices. Obviously we were a little ahead in preparation. … You could see the carry over. Today was just okay, but third down, red area, we’ve got to get back and make sure we kind of screw down the plan a little bit and make sure it’s ready to go and our guys get it. And really moving forward here is (about getting) kind of an understanding the responsibility to really go dig into the details of what we’re doing, No. 1 know your opponent, No. 2 so you’re able to just go out and play confident and play fast. That’s what we’re hoping to do Saturday night in The Swamp.”

• Injury update: “We’re doing pretty good. (Redshirt-freshman DL Khairi Clark went down today with an ankle. I don’t know where that is. (Bryan) Cox pulled himself out. He should be okay. (Receiver C.J.) Worton will not go. He won’t dress. He tried a little bit and couldn’t get through it. Other than that, it looks like we’re in pretty good shape and we’ll be ready to roll come Saturday.”

• On the impending storm: “We’ll be prepared one way or the other. As far as I know, they haven’t moved the game. It would be nice if they told me. “

• On his comfort with kicker Eddy Pineiro’s range at this point: “That’s one of the things that we also do obviously pregame is determine whether we’re kicking towards the tunnel or kicking away from tunnel as to what we feel the yard line is. It helps you call plays. You know, I feel right now, I’m not going to hesitate with the ball around the 30 or 35 at all, depending on how e’s hitting it pregame. That’s when we kind of determine what we call the kick line. … I’ve got total confidence in him.”

• On significance of getting the first win: “Any time you have the opportunity to go out and compete No. 1, and this case No. 2 anytime there’s a winner and a loser determined, it doesn’t matter what you do, you go out to win. It doesn’t matter the opponent. Our focus has been pretty good.”

• McElwain won’t publicly disclose the unnamed suspended senior for this first game and got passionate and a bit heated in explaining why: “Yeah, you know what, I’m here to educate, I’m here to help and I’m here for our players. No. 1 first and foremost. And these are good players and good guys that sometimes make choices that aren’t the greatest, and yet I’m never going to be here to, ever … I’m here for them and learning from our choices and the decisions we make. That’s really what it’s all about, and sometime when you have your own kids, I’m here to protect them too. And they’re kids. So, you know what, they’re good kids that sometimes some of the things we do, maybe we’re not real proud of. And we’ve got to learn. It’s no different than when you were a kid and you touched the hot stove. My guess is you didn’t go back and touch it again. You probably learned from it, right? So there’s your reason. And these are good players and good kids, and they mean well. Don’t ever forget that. Because we write the negative all the time.”

• McElwain says tight end DeAndre Goolsby is doing okay health wise, but he turned the answer to redshirt-sophomore Moral Stephens and sophomore Camrin Knight: “I’m really looking forward to Moral and Cam seeing a lot of reps, and I’m really excited about that. And those two guys deserve it the way they’ve been practicing.”

• On freshman defensive lineman Jachai Polite: “Jachai, that guy’s a good football player. He’s very smart, very intelligent and picked it up quickly. Obviously as you guys see him walk by, size-wise he fits what you’re looking for. And he’s really a good athlete. He played both ways, he was a really good basketball player in high school as well. He’s a rising star for us as the program goes forward.”

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
With Lewis suspended, I'm hoping Knight and Stephens make a few catches.

Glad to hear McElwain praise Polite. He's very likely to end up at DT, but he's around 270 so I hope he gets into the rotation (similar to Cece's position).

I hope Clark is okay. We're thin at DT.

I hope Pineiro kicks one from outside the 35. That place will go crazy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator