McElwain on the TE's & WR's

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From SEC Country's Zach A:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...lish-identity-this-spring-through-competition

He also expects the returning receivers and tight ends to step up over the next 15 practices.

“Moral Stephens is a guy that’s really elevated through his offseason and now there’s a real opportunity to jump in there now with C’yontai (Lewis) and (DeAndre) Goolsby,” McElwain said. “Cameron Knight, who took reps for us last year, and when you see the guy kind of run out there you might go, ‘Jeez, who’s that guy?’ Well, it’s because he’s grown up a little bit.

“We need Ahmad (Fulwood) to step up. We need some other guys at the ride receiver spot, obviously with the three young guys that are in that are new. You look at a guy like (Alvin) Bailey that needs to take some leadership role there and say it’s time to go. It should be a lot of fun when you see those guys out there running around and competing. Chris Thompson’s got to be one of those guys as well.”

With receivers Callaway and Brandon Powell (foot) out, more reps will be available to newcomers Joshua Hammond, Dre Massey and Freddie Swain. Of the 12 mid-year enrollees Florida had in January, McElwain said those three have stood out to him the most.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If we are counting on Fulwood to step up we are not in good shape.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Looks like Worton isn't expected to do much on the field.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Looks like Worton isn't expected to do much on the field.
What a shame. I thought he made the catch of the year for us late in the Bama game when he went up and took that ball from a pair of decent dbacks. Wonder what's not clicking with guy?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
If we are counting on Fulwood to step up we are not in good shape.
I wouldn't worry too much what Mac says going into spring. My guess is that both Swain and Hammond are getting game reps this fall while Fullwood watches from the bench.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
After the first practice:

REPLACING JAKE

One of the big position battles this spring will be at tight end, where Jake McGee, last season’s second-leading receiver, must be replaced.

“The biggest piece to me is Jake was such a great leader. He went about his craft the right way. He really had an effect on those guys,” McElwain said. “Now, it will be interesting to see who kind of picks that up a little bit. I thought just watching practice, DeAndre, I thought Goolsby's grown up a little bit. Will be interested to see if he can carry that through a little bit."

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If Lewis can stay healthy, any sets where we flex out two tight ends will be catastrophic on defenses.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If Lewis can stay healthy, any sets where we flex out two tight ends will be catastrophic on defenses.

Well, that's dependent on who the QB is and how the OL plays. If our OL looks like it did last year we'll see a lot of games similar to Grier (14-9 vs. Kentucky, 14 offensive points vs. Missouri...and the occasional Ole Miss performance).

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, that's dependent on who the QB is and how the OL plays. If our OL looks like it did last year we'll see a lot of games similar to Grier (14-9 vs. Kentucky, 14 offensive points vs. Missouri...and the occasional Ole Miss performance).

What I like about those two guys is that that they're big and can catch in traffic. So while I hope the OL is considerably better, I think both of them would be excellent safety valves and would really stress the defense. McGee had great hands and great routes but he really couldn't stress the defense like these guys can.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We just haven't had healthy tight ends for six years.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm looking forward to seeing Goolsby and Lewis together. I think both can be legit pass catching forces, especially if our line is improved and whoever the QB is can find them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
One of the things that will help out the o-line is the tight ends learning how to block. They might as well not even be on the field they were so bad last year. Even when the line blocked well the tight end or ends would get plays blown up in the running game. We won't miss Jake at all in the passing game. Those guys can stretch the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator