McElwain: OT Sharpe "as talented as any OL in college football"

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
You have to be delusional to think that top coaches can be found at FAU, FIU, USF, and EKU.

There is some logic in this statement but if thats the case we shouldnt have hired Meyer or any other up and coming coaches from lesser schools...there are good coaches at some places waiting for their chance to move up...

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Are we really going to say the guy can't coach because he hasn't turned a 3 star defensive end into an SEC caliber offensive guard?

It's recruiting where I think you could make an argument that he needs to step up his game.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Are we really going to say the guy can't coach because he hasn't turned a 3 star defensive end into an SEC caliber offensive guard?

It's recruiting where I think you could make an argument that he needs to step up his game.

No. But I think we are going to say that he's not "the best OL coach in the country".

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We don't have the best anything in the business. We have a few OK guys but the majority are bottom tier coaches. It is what it is. We knew that when we hired them. You have to be delusional to think that top coaches can be found at FAU, FIU, USF, and EKU. They were there for a reason. And if that isn't enough clue for us, the fact that no one is interested in hiring them away after seeing their product on the field should seal the deal.

Exactly my point. I'm tired of reading delusional posters matter of factly stating that he's the best OL coach in the country. It's a joke. He might be in the top 7 in the SEC.....might be.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

Offensive line recruiting for 2015 and 2016 was actually pretty decent.... The bodies are in place and a sound offensive system has been installed, experience is somewhat limited but there is enough to form a foundation.......If there isn't better results on the field this fall we need to look at replacing Summers, plain and simple. There just isn't anymore excuses why we should be one of the worst offensive lines in CFB, none.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is some logic in this statement but if thats the case we shouldnt have hired Meyer or any other up and coming coaches from lesser schools...there are good coaches at some places waiting for their chance to move up...
Yes, there is no difference between a coach who just to a WAC team to the Fiesta Bowl and won, after winning his conference in the MAC also at his previous stop, and the shyt we hired from EKU, FIU, FAU and UCF.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Yes, there is no difference between a coach who just to a WAC team to the Fiesta Bowl and won, after winning his conference in the MAC also at his previous stop, and the shyt we hired from EKU, FIU, FAU and UCF.

So, every team such as Bama and Lsu and the likes have coaches that were born into their positions and never worked at any lesser schools....they were always top tier coaches....ok...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We hired a bunch of trash, dude. Own it. We tried to hire others but ended up on 9th tier options. Quit making excuses.

I think, and hope, Gray was a great hire. I also hope we hire 3-6 more Grays next year. I'd love for Mac to work out, he seems like a great guy. However, unless he gets the right staff and starts recruiting like Bammer, LSU, and Ohio State, we will never compete with the powerhouse teams.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
No excuses here heck I didnt even say I liked any of them. Simply pointing out how idiotic your nonsense can be.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Offensive line recruiting for 2015 and 2016 was actually pretty decent.... The bodies are in place and a sound offensive system has been installed, experience is somewhat limited but there is enough to form a foundation.......If there isn't better results on the field this fall we need to look at replacing Summers, plain and simple. There just isn't anymore excuses why we should be one of the worst offensive lines in CFB, none.

I would say in 2017 that would be the case... the problem with recruiting well the last two years, is the fact we recruited horribly the last 6. Kids need time to grow into their bodies.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is Mike Summers the best O-line coach in the SEC? No. Is he a bad coach? Not at all. He helped coach several very good offenses with Bobby Petrino both at Louisville and Arkansas. The year he was with USC, they won 10 games. When he came to UF in 2014, the line showed improvement from the year before in spite of Tyler Moore. The reason why our offense stunk that year was more because of QB play and lack of skilled playmakers. We were a good running team that year and that reflects the production of the O-line.

Our line was awful last year simply because Muschamp didn't recruit the position and we literally didn't have enough players. They had to rely on underclassmen including true freshmen, a converted DT, and a poor guy that had no business playing in the SEC. No one on that line should have been starting, but that's what Mac and Summers were left with. It's a miracle that we won 10 games with that line, and honestly poor QB play in the 2nd half made that line even worse.

I think they've recruited the position well in the last 2 years, especially since Mac only had less than two months to recruit his first class. It takes a long time to rebuild an O-line as bad as ours. These guys need time to physically develop, and fortunately they'll have that this summer. Realistically, I expect the line to go from awful to average this year, and then from average to pretty good next year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I would say in 2017 that would be the case... the problem with recruiting well the last two years, is the fact we recruited horribly the last 6. Kids need time to grow into their bodies.
I don't completely disagree with you because I'm counting on a lot of production from 2nd year guys, Johnson, Ivey, Jordan to go along with Sharpe and Dillard. I'm getting impatient with us not being able to push people around....I can hardly remember what it's like to control a game with our offensive line....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I like that... except Dillard.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I figure Dillard gets the start at the beginning before he is overtaken by someone, as long as it's not Riles I'll be fine with never seeing either of them on the field again...

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
This year we find out if Coach Mac can coach a player up. I think he can.
We got so use to WM coaching them down, we forgot what coaching up
looks like. Some of these players aren't 5 star but I believe he knows what
he is doing. He is slowly building and fully implementing his complete
system. I really liked the play calling in the spring game. I can see opposing
defenses having a difficult time preparing for our offense this year. No more
plain vanilla. We could have a reversal of last year, getting better as the
season progresses. That's what good coaches do. I believe we have us
as good a coach as WM was bad. Time will tell but I'm excited again, finally.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
This year we find out if Coach Mac can coach a player up. I think he can.
We got so use to WM coaching them down, we forgot what coaching up
looks like. Some of these players aren't 5 star but I believe he knows what
he is doing. He is slowly building and fully implementing his complete
system. I really liked the play calling in the spring game. I can see opposing
defenses having a difficult time preparing for our offense this year. No more
plain vanilla. We could have a reversal of last year, getting better as the
season progresses. That's what good coaches do. I believe we have us
as good a coach as WM was bad. Time will tell but I'm excited again, finally.

I can see a better offense and kicking game. I worry about backward slippage on defense.

GatorGriff

May 29, 2015
We don't have the best anything in the business. We have a few OK guys but the majority are bottom tier coaches. It is what it is. We knew that when we hired them. You have to be delusional to think that top coaches can be found at FAU, FIU, USF, and EKU. They were there for a reason. And if that isn't enough clue for us, the fact that no one is interested in hiring them away after seeing their product on the field should seal the deal.
How are the majority bottom tier coaches? We got Nussmeier from Michigan, Shannon from Arkansas, Gray from Va Tech, Summers from USCw, Rump from Texas and Collins from MState. So how the hell are the majority bottom tier? That statement is just retarded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.