McElwain's presser, 4/4:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Notes from today's press conference, discussing last Friday's scrimmage:

• McElwain on the scrimmage: “From a situational standpoint, I thought both sides handled things well.”
  • “Defensive line did an outstanding job of finishing plays,” McElwain said.
  • The offense moved the ball “pretty well” and the defense only forced one three-and-out. “Explosive plays really stood out,” McElwain said.
  • Wide receiver Ahmad Fulwood, tight end DeAndre Goolsby and running backs Jordan Scarlett and Mark Thompson made the big plays in the scrimmage, per McElwain.
  • McElwain on the quarterbacks: “Just OK. Not great, not bad. Just gotta keep working on consistency.”
  • Players out: cornerback McArthur Burnett (strain), punter Johnny Townsend (food poisoning). McElwain said offensive guard Brandon Sandifer is out for the rest of the spring and will have his knee scoped.
  • McElwain said the competition at running back has produced a lot of big plays because the players at the position are stepping up. “It seems like a different group.”
  • Running back Jordan Cronkrite has been working in the wildcat formation, according to McElwain.
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/live-blog-jim-mcelwain-florida-enters-final-week-spring

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Saw from 24/7 sports that Mac talked a lot about the fact that no one has separated themselves from the qb pack and overall there's some regression from where they were a bit earlier. Said it may have been from all of them pressing too much, but repeated the concept of needing to develop consistency. Hope someone does something, couple transfers and 2 true freshman don't really have me all too excited, tbh.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
At the end of the day, it matters that one QB has done nothing while the other (Appleby) has played Nebraska, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa, Va Tech. and Mich. State. I'm of the opinion, when the dust settles, Appleby will be our day one starter.

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Saw from 24/7 sports that Mac talked a lot about the fact that no one has separated themselves from the qb pack and overall there's some regression from where they were a bit earlier. Said it may have been from all of them pressing too much, but repeated the concept of needing to develop consistency. Hope someone does something, couple transfers and 2 true freshman don't really have me all too excited, tbh.

Is this why Cronkrite is running the wild-cat?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
I'm starting to believe Appleby might be the starter also. If LDR hasn't made himself the clear cut starter by now then to me he isn't doing what Mac wants which makes sense considering he threw 4 INT's in a single practice

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm starting to believe Appleby might be the starter also. If LDR hasn't made himself the clear cut starter by now then to me he isn't doing what Mac wants which makes sense considering he threw 4 INT's in a single practice
Either that or Mac is doing the same thing he did last year by saying there wasn't much separation between Grier and :bandit:
Obviously, that was nothing more than a YUUUUGE helping of coach speak designed to keep them guessing and pushing.

May be the former, but I sure hope its the latter.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Either that or Mac is doing the same thing he did last year by saying there wasn't much separation between Grier and :bandit:
Obviously, that was nothing more than a YUUUUGE helping of coach speak designed to keep them guessing and pushing.

This is what I'm thinking. I've never expected Mac to name a starter until sometime during August practice.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Mac does not like to tell people what is going on with the football team. He keeps this stuff close. I wouldn't read too much into anything. We will have some idea based on how these guys play in the Spring Game, but other than that... we won't know much until the week before the first game.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

I agree. But I don't think it is meant to push LDR although it probably is. I think it is supposed to push Appleby. I maintain that Appleby is the one the coaches want to win the job. LDR isn't the black Peter Dinklage we had last year, but he is limited physically.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Cronkrite in the Wild Gatorcat is just smoking mirrors to throw off Saban's planning for the SECCG. He'll run it once, against Vandy, just to make Saban believe it is in the playbook for real.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Considering Appleby's experience, it should be obvious to all but the brain dead.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Considering Appleby's experience, it should be obvious to all but the brain dead.
Looks like Goon might have been right all along, and he's here to let everybody know who may have thought otherwise that he might be right, in such a nice way I might add. :lol:
:snob:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

He's not gonna name a starter in the 3rd week of spring and risk one of them transferring. Especially these two. Between the two of em they've got about 10 schools under their belt.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I find it comical that we have posters picking sides and forming battle lines over two dudes who haven't been able to get or stay on the field for crap teams with no quality QBs on their rosters.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I find it comical that we have posters picking sides and forming battle lines over two dudes who haven't been able to get or stay on the field for crap teams with no quality QBs on their rosters.
This. It's like some are hoping for one guy to be a "good game manager":facepalm: and others are hoping the other guy doesn't throw too many picks:eek2: What the hell has happened to our football team...

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Just read gatorsports report on the scrimmage. I have heard coaches mis-direct, communicate, fail to communicate, lie, prevaricate, and tell tall tales, but Mac is the most opaque I have ever heard. I have no notion of who he thinks did well or ill, and I believe that was his intention.
But Trask did throw an 80 yd TD to Fulwood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator