McGee & Poole sign FA contracts

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Not so sure we want to go there, Rog. McGee was projected as a 3rd to 5th rounder if he had come out after his junior season before transferring here.....So in 2 years we broke his leg and knocked him out of the draft....

Please find us a link that said he was projected to go IN the draft before he transferred here....much less in the 3rd round. If that's the case someone gave him some seriously bad advice. The kid was a serviceable TE at UVA, nothing spectacular. He was certainly better than anything we had on our roster...but if he was projected to go that high in the draft he would have never transferred to UF. Hell, Kelvin Taylor left school early to go in the 6th round and McCallister left early to be a 7th rounder. A "projected 3rd to 5th rounder" literally would leave around a million dollars on the table in guaranteed money. I'm not buying it.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Please find us a link that said he was projected to go IN the draft before he transferred here....much less in the 3rd round. If that's the case someone gave him some seriously bad advice. The kid was a serviceable TE at UVA, nothing spectacular. He was certainly better than anything we had on our roster...but if he was projected to go that high in the draft he would have never transferred to UF. Hell, Kelvin Taylor left school early to go in the 6th round and McCallister left early to be a 7th rounder. A "projected 3rd to 5th rounder" literally would leave around a million dollars on the table in guaranteed money. I'm not buying it.
It was in GatorSports I believe, take it fwiw....He transferred because he felt he wasn't ready and his coach at UVA wanted him to be an outside receiver/flex TE...He thought playing HBack/TE in Ropers system would help him more.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...-blog/os-gators-jake-mcgee-20151017-post.html

Mel Kiper so take it for what it's worth.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Thanks for the link....I can't tell (by the way it's written) if it was saying he was "pegged" a 3rd round pick after the 2014 season (if he had not gotten injured) or if he was "pegged" a 3rd round pick if he had gone in the 2014 draft out of UVA. Either way, he lost a lot of value since 2013/14. I imagine playing 6 years in college didn't help (besides his mediocre blocking skills). And as far as Mel Kiper, I think his word is as good as any "draft analyst" out there. They all get their info from the same sources and then relay to the fans what they are hearing....very little of it is their own "evaluation".

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the link....I can't tell (by the way it's written) if it was saying he was "pegged" a 3rd round pick after the 2014 season (if he had not gotten injured) or if he was "pegged" a 3rd round pick if he had gone in the 2014 draft out of UVA. Either way, he lost a lot of value since 2013/14. I imagine playing 6 years in college didn't help (besides his mediocre blocking skills).

it's also Mel Kiper... also breaking your leg doesn't help either. I hope he provides value for some NFL team. He did what was asked of him with us.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
it's also Mel Kiper... also breaking your leg doesn't help either. I hope he provides value for some NFL team. He did what was asked of him with us.

I added (edited) my post...as far as Kiper goes, I think his word is as good as any of the "draft analysts". All he does is get info from scouts, GMs, coaches, etc and relays what he hears from them to us. Very little of what he relays (writes or discusses, etc) is his own "analysis". People point out he was wrong about a pick or where a player would be picked...but again, he's simply gathering information and making an educated assessment.

Agree w/ you about the broken leg too. If McGee was truly a 3rd to 5th round projection coming out of UVA it makes no sense that he transferred to Florida. He could have gotten his graduate degree after his playing career ended. Bad move.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I added (edited) my post...as far as Kiper goes, I think his word is as good as any of the "draft analysts". All he does is get info from scouts, GMs, coaches, etc and relays what he hears from them to us. Very little of what he relays (writes or discusses, etc) is his own "analysis". People point out he was wrong about a pick or where a player would be picked...but again, he's simply gathering information and making an educated assessment.

Agree w/ you about the broken leg too. If McGee was truly a 3rd to 5th round projection coming out of UVA it makes no sense that he transferred to Florida. He could have gotten his graduate degree after his playing career ended. Bad move.

I'm personally not a big Mel Kiper guy. I think there are more guys who do it better, without the level of BS.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Dougie.....I'm bad at remembering sources sometimes but I generally get the content at least halfway right :lol:

... but Crete, the part you get wrong is the part most entertaining -- you're good at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator