MMA Cornerman fails his fighter who wants to quit

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Despicable. MMA needs to get their hands around this. Dana White needs to set some parameters on this or somebody’s going to get killed.

This cornerman should never be in a ring again.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sounds like Dana was spot on....trust me guys quit on the field, in the ring and in life every day. Happens all the time. BTW he also said this guy took this fight on short notice so he may have been better off saving himself the beating if he wasn't conditioned and regrouping to fight a little further down the line. Since it was short notice also he might have been fighting a weight class higher than normal since these guys often fight 10-20# below their "walking around" weight. No shame in that and no shame if he never comes back to fight again....

Last edited:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

He was getting swamped in the fight. Destroyed in the 2nd round. He said he was done 9 times. His corner didn’t throw in the towel. The Inspector did.

Fighters all over the country are blasting this corner for what they did.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why does trainer have to be the one to call it? Screw that if I'm quitting I'm quitting lol.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think the corner guy did exactly what he should do. Try to calm his guy down and motivate him to finish the fight. It’s not like the fighter wasn’t able to make his own decision, which he did.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
This cornerman should never be in a ring again.

I've got a bit of a different take. If every coach, cornerman, or sergeant etc just let a guy quit without trying to get them to find it in themselves to go on when they don't think they can the world would be worse for it. Ultimately he didn't get angry with his guy for calling it himself - because the challenge and belief was born out of love. You can't be in another guy's head though. It's where trust comes in. If one of my guys tells me he can't go and I think he can, I push him - but if he comes out there's never any anger or scorn heaped on him. Each man has to know himself, and has to live with himself. It looks like the fighter did what he thought he needed to do. His guy believed in him and thought he could come back out and battle, but the fighter knew himself best.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I didn’t see the fight, maybe I’d feel differently if I had, but I tend to agree with Itraz. The corner was trying to motivate him and they had a minute to do so. We’ve all heard the saying that fatigue makes a coward out of us all...so rather than just give in to his wishes immediately at the beginning the break, they used a little motivation/tough love. The fight ended up getting called anyway. Maybe if he had been beat to crap like Du Koo Kim (again, maybe he took a bad beating but he didn’t appear too damaged) I’d feel differently but I don’t see that the cornerman deserves all the flak he’s getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator