More fallout from the Baylor sexual assault case

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
It's sad that a man as clueless as this can become the PRESIDENT OF A UNIVERSITY... Hopefully he wasn't always this much of a buffoon and he has just gotten a little bit senile. Plenty of people stay mentally "with it" past age 90... this man is not going to be one of them.

It makes me glad that UF hired a prestigious Cornell professor to be our president instead of a lawyer like Baylor's Starr or a political hack like FSUs Thrasher (no offense to any lawyers on here, and yes, all offense to any politicians).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ken Starr didn't find a blue dress this time, until it was too late.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Usually the administrators are condemmed for inaction. But Baylor's administration was
found to have taken actions considered punitive to rape victims and whistleblowers. That is
despicable. And I hope some focus is now placed on helping those victims and the punishing
of the rapists. All the outrage seems focused on the administration with little attention, investigation,
prosecution news or progress-timeline on those actual rapists. As these events show, sadly, it's the
media publicity that drives forward the truth and proper actions. So very sorry for the victims.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Please keep politics out of it and focus on the University and it's administrations failure and continued cover-up.

Are you serious? Politics is a major part of this. For some the victims of any crimes are merely to be used for their political agenda.

In case you missed it or are not a football fan, there are people out there who are trying to end football. For political reasons some people want for football to go the way of boxing.

Additionally as in the PSU case, some people in all universities either because they are jealous of the publicity or influence of the football program or other reasons are trying to diminish the football programs. I am sure this is part of the story at Baylor. At PSU it was people who chaffed in the shadow of the Paterno program for 30 years. At Baylor it is likely people who saw the rise of the football program in terms of prestige under Briles and did not like that their relative status was falling. Add in some people do not like Starr for past political reasons and politics is a major component to this.

Further, I am not sure how anyone can say that Baylor in any meaningful sense protected someone now serving a 20 year sentence in prison. That sounds to me like that case was duly investigated by the correct authorities and adjudicated guilty and sentenced. Another case has also been adjudicated and someone sentenced sentenced. That too does not sound like protecting someone to me.

Still I am happy to sit back and let you participate in the long run deemphasis of football if that is your choice. My own view is that universities should not be used to either circumvent the US Constitution and punish people without due process nor further particular political agendas. Maybe it was not the best that college football became such a rallying point for universities and maybe it was for the best and colleges get more funding and public support due to sports, but it is how it is. Some people see it in their best interest to take football down a notch. If that is what you favor, that is your choice. If not, you should step back and realize what is going on rather than saying "keep politics out of this" and laughable claim there was a coverup that somehow ended up with a football player serving 20 years in prison.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Are you serious? Politics is a major part of this. For some the victims of any crimes are merely to be used for their political agenda.

In case you missed it or are not a football fan, there are people out there who are trying to end football. For political reasons some people want for football to go the way of boxing.

Additionally as in the PSU case, some people in all universities either because they are jealous of the publicity or influence of the football program or other reasons are trying to diminish the football programs. I am sure this is part of the story at Baylor. At PSU it was people who chaffed in the shadow of the Paterno program for 30 years. At Baylor it is likely people who saw the rise of the football program in terms of prestige under Briles and did not like that their relative status was falling. Add in some people do not like Starr for past political reasons and politics is a major component to this.

Further, I am not sure how anyone can say that Baylor in any meaningful sense protected someone now serving a 20 year sentence in prison. That sounds to me like that case was duly investigated by the correct authorities and adjudicated guilty and sentenced. Another case has also been adjudicated and someone sentenced sentenced. That too does not sound like protecting someone to me.

Still I am happy to sit back and let you participate in the long run deemphasis of football if that is your choice. My own view is that universities should not be used to either circumvent the US Constitution and punish people without due process nor further particular political agendas. Maybe it was not the best that college football became such a rallying point for universities and maybe it was for the best and colleges get more funding and public support due to sports, but it is how it is. Some people see it in their best interest to take football down a notch. If that is what you favor, that is your choice. If not, you should step back and realize what is going on rather than saying "keep politics out of this" and laughable claim there was a coverup that somehow ended up with a football player serving 20 years in prison.

Then start a thread in the political forum.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Then start a thread in the political forum.

Why? There is already a political thread here. BTW, I would not have started a thread on this, but thought it worth replying to this political thread criticizing a political person, particularly political from the 1990s.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Insti, don't you see that this eruption came from the heated magma of aggrieved female victims of
sexual assaults ? Their sexual assaults were unaddressed and the treatment Baylor officials gave them
were atrocious and grossly violated protections in Title IX ?? Are you claiming the real "crimes" are just
incidental and the political conspiracies are driving this ? Jeez that sounds like stuff one only gets in the
Political Forum.

PS >> Your post struck me as rude in delivery ...

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Insti, don't you see that this eruption came from the heated magma of aggrieved female victims of
sexual assaults ? Their sexual assaults were unaddressed and the treatment Baylor officials gave them
were atrocious and grossly violated protections in Title IX ?? Are you claiming the real "crimes" are just
incidental and the political conspiracies are driving this ? Jeez that sounds like stuff one only gets in the
Political Forum.

PS >> Your post struck me as rude in delivery ...

You think 20 years in prison is a crime unaddressed?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The aggrieved parties to this "today's case" do not connect or refer to any 20 year conviction case.
I repeat, the flack of today is about transgressions that Baylor did not handle properly in the past few years.
It only touches on unprosecuted, unsettled cases that are just now building towards actionable offenses.

PS >> Your crusty answer is typical Political Forum style.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The aggrieved parties to this "today's case" do not connect or refer to any 20 year conviction case.
I repeat, the flack of today is about transgressions that Baylor did not handle properly in the past few years.
It only touches on unprosecuted, unsettled cases that are just now building towards actionable offenses.

PS >> Your crusty answer is typical Political Forum style.

I strongly suspect the 1972 Congress that voted for the Title IX amendment of the civil rights acts to say,

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

did not intend to turn colleges and universities into enforcers of criminal law. That bureaucrats today are claiming that non-discrimination requires that universities are responsible for enforcing sanctions on students accused of criminal acts without due process is to me just people pushing a political agenda.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Universities have their own police force, no?

If so they do have high obligation to protect all its 'citizens'. It is sad IX is required.

I'd like to know more specifics the exec office was 'guilty'

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

If so they do have high obligation to protect all its 'citizens'. It is sad IX is required.

Well again try to sue the city or the state if the police fail to prevent you from being mugged. So if the city of Gainesville is not legally obligated to protect its citizens, how is UF more legally responsible? Colleges are of course trying to attract students, so they have financial and moral reasons to create a safe campus. This idea that the federal government bureaucrats can push their personal political views on colleges is morally wrong in my view.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well again try to sue the city or the state if the police fail to prevent you from being mugged. So if the city of Gainesville is not legally obligated to protect its citizens, how is UF more legally responsible? Colleges are of course trying to attract students, so they have financial and moral reasons to create a safe campus. This idea that the federal government bureaucrats can push their personal political views on colleges is morally wrong in my view.
UPD.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Baylor systemically covered up and intimidated victims of sexual assault. Wackos

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014

I think they are more like the first 20 seconds or so of this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.