Most improved players throughout year

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Some obvious choices on defense; Marcus Maye and Jalen Tabor jump to mind. Maye ended up 3rd on the team in tackles, had 3 tackles for loss and became a stud in run defense. He also improved greatly in coverage over the season and seemed to be all over the field yesterday. By year's end, Maye was clearly outplaying Muschamp's beloved Keanu Neal. The insertion of Tabor transformed the secondary and defense. He more than held his own and got better during the season. Tabor had huge plays against UT with the sack and forced fumble and had a spectacular interception v Vandy. My third guy would be Alex McAlister. He ended up with 6 sacks and had numerous qb hurries. He'll be our main pass rush guy next year, unless Cowart comes on board.

On offense, it's slim pickings. I guess you have to go with Demarcus Robinson by default. He ended up with 53 catches, 810 yards, 7 td's. That's by miles, our best at WR. Rod Johnson on the O-line deserves a mention. He was very steady and I can't recall him getting beaten badly at any point.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nice improvement from Austin Harden too. He went from being horrific in 2013 to 7 of 10 in 2014. A few of those were critical in the FSU game, but he clearly had a better year.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n144308 said:
Some obvious choices on defense; Marcus Maye and Jalen Tabor jump to mind. Maye ended up 3rd on the team in tackles, had 3 tackles for loss and became a stud in run defense. He also improved greatly in coverage over the season and seemed to be all over the field yesterday. By year's end, Maye was clearly outplaying Muschamp's beloved Keanu Neal. The insertion of Tabor transformed the secondary and defense. He more than held his own and got better during the season. Tabor had huge plays against UT with the sack and forced fumble and had a spectacular interception v Vandy. My third guy would be Alex McAlister. He ended up with 6 sacks and had numerous qb hurries. He'll be our main pass rush guy next year, unless Cowart comes on board.

On offense, it's slim pickings. I guess you have to go with Demarcus Robinson by default. He ended up with 53 catches, 810 yards, 7 td's. That's by miles, our best at WR. Rod Johnson on the O-line deserves a mention. He was very steady and I can't recall him getting beaten badly at any point.

I respectfully disagree about Maye, specifically regarding his cover skills. He still has problems playing the ball in the air and was beat for a TD yesterday. I would add Bryan Cox, Jr. on defense and pretty much agree with you on offense. Rod Johnson looks like a player for us. I was really disappointed that Kelvin Taylor seems to have made no noticeable improvement this season

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Fishon;n144329 said:
I respectfully disagree about Maye, specifically regarding his cover skills. He still has problems playing the ball in the air and was beat for a TD yesterday. I would add Bryan Cox, Jr. on defense and pretty much agree with you on offense. Rod Johnson looks like a player for us. I was really disappointed that Kelvin Taylor seems to have made no noticeable improvement this season
Taylor needs to live in the weight room this off season.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fishon;n144329 said:

I knew I would have disagreements regarding Maye's coverage, but I thought he made outstanding gains over the course of the year. Even on the TD he gave up yesterday, the coverage was very good, ECU simply executed a good play. Maye is a great open field tackler too, I just really like the gains he made throughout the year.

Agree on Cox Jr, hoping he continues to improve. We'll need him and McAlister to be studs next year. m

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
Taylor needs to live in the weight room this off season.

Taylor needs to pick up about two tenths on his forty time. Looks to be a 4.65 type guy, 4.5 would make a world of difference. However, nobody on UGA could catch him from behind, so maybe he's fine.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;144354 said:
I knew I would have disagreements regarding Maye's coverage, but I thought he made outstanding gains over the course of the year. Even on the TD he gave up yesterday, the coverage was very good, ECU simply executed a good play. Maye is a great open field tackler too, I just really like the gains he made throughout the year.

Agree on Cox Jr, hoping he continues to improve. We'll need him and McAlister to be studs next year. m

Cox looks on the cusp of becoming a terror. If we bring in CeCe and Cowart we will be absolutely loaded on the D-Line. Clark, Willis, Sherrit, and Ivey as second stringers is crazy.

McCallister is the biggest surprise. Nobody saw that coming.

We need linebackers something crazy.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;144655 said:
t-gator and it's not even close.

He's definitely the most improved poster. Fatherhood has given him wisdom in his posts. And he's become way funnier. Didn't see that one coming.

Oct 5, 2014
I was surprised to see Marcus Maye chase down ECU's NFL prospect from behind and tackle him inside the five yard line. Excellent effort. I didn't realize he had that kind of speed.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n144659 said:
He's definitely the most improved poster. Fatherhood has given him wisdom in his posts. And he's become way funnier. Didn't see that one coming.

:lol:

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Concrete Helmet;n144389 said:
This. You could maybe add Ivie and Anzalone. Rod Johnson and Robinson from the offense.
They all we're playing strong at the end of the season. If they keep improving we'll have some really good players.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Left Coast Gator;n144662 said:
I was surprised to see Marcus Maye chase down ECU's NFL prospect from behind and tackle him inside the five yard line. Excellent effort. I didn't realize he had that kind of speed.

Brian Poole had the chase down tackle (#24), but I agree that Marcus Maye improved a lot. Played a good bowl game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.