Mullen’s 2nd loss to Kentucky Presser: Admin rushes him out before questions asked

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Palm Beach Post had an interesting stat in today’s paper: Emory Jones has only had 12 attempts ALL SEASON of 20+ yards.
That doesnt really bother me that much.

SOS made his money with 9-15 yard passes. We rarely threw farther than that.

We also RARELY threw shorter than that. All this sideways bullshtt 4 yards or less passes are high risk and low reward. The windows are actually really tight and if you misjudge or a defender just makes a great play on the bal, it is a pick 6.

I LIKE us running those decoy routes, vs just blocking, but make no mistake they are decoys. The receivers are just floating and occupying safeties. They arent an actual read.

And this is NO different than 2005 or 2006 except Meyer isnt forcing him to use a fullback and he wont sub Tebow Jr for EJ in the redzone.

The playbook and playcalling is vintage Mullinz though and he gets tighter and tighter the more his 6 plays dont work.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He initially stopped the bleeding from the Butters' era
Bullshyt bullshyt bullshyt

We have more talent (still) than any team on the schedule except Ugly, LSU and the top half of the west.

Having a 2-4 loss season is something 80% of any random Joe coach would do statisticslly.

He hasnt done jack shyt other than not (yet) totally self destructed.

Yet. We will see this week bc I think the players are tired of his dorky ass and loser football.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
This is a well-written and fairly balanced article. Not flattering, not "off with his head" fanbase ire.

FL's season is over, but beating georgia is a worthy goal and getting to 10 wins and a NY6 Bowl Game is also a worthy goal (and would keep FL relevant and in the national conversation going into next year).

But that won't happen unless Mullen reads the room and puts his entire heart and soul into the remaining games. The fanbase is irritated (having never really liked him much to begin with) and the media are getting more critical. It would help immensely if in his next presser, he comes out and says "I thought about it more...and yea, I goofed: should have utilized better clock management, been more aggressive, and run the two minute drill. Won't happen again." Acknowledgement is the first step towards accountability and you better believe the team will notice/follow as well.
Hard to read and take serious a guy who once blocked anyone that didn't agree with him that Butters deserved more time.

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Anyone thinking Mullen is gonna suddenly become humble and make some necessary changes is mildly to moderately retarded. He's making 7.6 million a year to coach a game children can play. He knows he's smarter than everyone and getting rich doing it so why would he admit he was wrong and make changes? Without another serious injury to our starting QB we're looking down the barrel at 2 to 3 more losses and AR and several more leaving after the year. Hate to say it but another injury is the only thing that might save the season and help the outlook for next year.

He proved he has less faith in Jones than we do with that game plan Sat night. But he's said too many times Jones is his man and there's no changing that now. I hope I'm wrong but I'm willing to bet the wheels fall completely off over the next 4 weeks. The kids have very little to play for now, look for the "opt outs" to start after the next embarrassing loss, probably in 2 weeks in Baton Rouge.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Hard to read and take serious a guy who once blocked anyone that didn't agree with him that Butters deserved more time.

Huh? I think you have me confused with someone else--I wasn't on this board until 2018...and a big part of why I left the "other" board was the non-stop pumping of whomever was the Gator coach (Butters first, then Mullen).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Huh? I think you have me confused with someone else--I wasn't on this board until 2018...and a big part of why I left the "other" board was the non-stop pumping of whomever was the Gator coach (Butters first, then Mullen).

he was talking to the piece you were responding to.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Yep that guy that writes those has been pretty sketchy in the past. He showed up early in the Butters years on Twitter and was at a time, despite what he says, was a ClutchlikeMJ follower until that guy got exposed. He then spent three years berating and blocking anyone that didn’t worship Butters.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
we will mississippi our way to another abysmal loss in BR which will be the tipping point. team will quit after that and get prison raped by dwags the next week. i can see multiple scenarios where mizzo finds a way to beat his dorky ass as well. this season is over and his seat will be scorching by fsu.

hes gone sometime next year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
we will mississippi our way to another abysmal loss in BR which will be the tipping point. team will quit after that and get prison raped by dwags the next week. i can see multiple scenarios where mizzo finds a way to beat his dorky ass as well. this season is over and his seat will be scorching by fsu.

hes gone sometime next year.

Durty,
he just needs to recruit better players.....
he just needs to restructure his coaching staff
he just needs his players
who are you going to get that is better....

Did I miss any we are going to hear?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Durty,

never underestimate the power of the apologizer. there will be many more.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Durty,

:pe:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone thinking Mullen is gonna suddenly become humble and make some necessary changes is mildly to moderately retarded. .
I admit Ive twice thought "wow, he can actually make nice offense when he tries, surely he will realize scoring plints is better than ball control" then he immediately goes back to Mullening. He has had a 50th or worse scoring offense and a terrible redzone offense in something like 13 of the 16 years.

He isnt changing. He is the surgeon of punt.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I admit Ive twice thought "wow, he can actually make nice offense when he tries, surely he will realize scoring plints is better than ball control" then he immediately goes back to Mullening. He has had a 50th or worse scoring offense and a terrible redzone offense in something like 13 of the 16 years.

He isnt changing. He is the surgeon of punt.

I hear you and, to date, I agree.
That's what makes this upcoming Tennessee game so intriguing IMO: it's an overmatched opponent whom we've dominated of late coming here to play a night game in the Swamp. They're playing for pride, we're playing--possibly--for more.

Mullen has botched this type of game several times before--no clearer example of this than last year's LSU debacle; but really, the seeds of that were sown in almost every game before that when he had vanilla gameplans and playcalling after the georgia win.

Has he learned from that? Do we come out, dominate from the get-go with disciplined football on both sides of the ball and stomp on Tennessee early/often and cruise to a victory? Or do we try to win the game in second gear and "save ourselves" for the more crucial matchups later in the year vs georgia and--potentially--a rematch with Alabama?

Most importantly, how does the team come out? We can still dominate Tennessee with 100% effort/focus from the players, even IF Mullen and the staff are putting in 70% effort...that's IF the players have team leaders who are demanding focus, effort, and intensity in practice and the game this week. Last year's team took their lead from Mullen and was usually going through the motions vs overmatched opponents and it bit them in the ass. Have the players learned from that and made the improvements/adjustments in both focus and effort to become the team they are?

We'll see. But Go Gators on Saturday.

^I wrote that 2 weeks ago to ox; but it speaks to the exact scenario we've all been describing: Mullen simply not having what it takes.

The best coaches/teams don't "save themselves" for later games to not give opposing coaches more of the playbook: they go out to dominate early, often, and have full confidence they'll be able to execute or throw together wrinkles in the bigger games.

That's why recruits continue to flock to the same schools every year: they want to win and want to play for coaches who put them in positions to win.

The "play it safe" coaches don't win anymore. Not consistently, not over the course of the season.

Because, eventually, it costs you.
It's cost Mullen in EVERY season he's been here.
It's why none of us have any faith in him to be the future.

No doubt: he's a brilliant x's and o's guy at times. MUCH better than our previous two. MUCH better than many other coaches out there. But NOT consistently enough to win at the level the program/fans expect and his salary demands

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
^I
The "play it safe" coaches don't win anymore. Not consistently, not over the course of the season.
Yup.

And it is amazing that people stand around the their virtual watercoolers and midlessly repat how great the "tough out" 7-5 8-4 coaches are (like Mullinz, Fuentes, Gerents, Campbell, Sweaterfleck etc) are. And non of them ever win a damn thing.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be perfectly happy letting the man sitting in his office a floor above Dip**** Dan take over for the remainder of the season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be perfectly happy letting the man sitting in his office a floor above Dip**** Dan take over for the remainder of the season.
You really think SOS knows the playbook or could just come in, habe 20 hours of practice and run a game?

:lol4:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.