Napier vs UF predecessors after first eight games

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
* 4-4 coming off 42-20 loss to Georgia.

* Mullen 6-2 after 36-17 loss to Georgia. Other loss was to Kentucky at home in the second week.

* McElwain 7-1 after 27-3 win over Georgia. 35-28 loss at LSU in the game leading up.

* Muschamp 4-4 after 24-20 loss to Georgia. Started out 4-0. Scored only 27 points in the three previous losses.

FWIW:

* Meyer 6-2 after 14-10 win over Georgia on way to 9-3 season.

* Zook 5-3 after OT win over Auburn. Beat Georgia 20-13 the following week.

* Spurrier 7-1 after 48-7 win over Auburn en route to an SEC-best 9-2.

Does Napier deserve a break considering the circumstances he came into? I think so.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Comparison is pointless. Each situation is completely independent. All that matters is what can be controlled in the immediate, regardless of what hand you are dealt. That is how to assess the initial 8 games so to speak for any 1st year coach.

BuddyWyatt

Sep 17, 2018
Comparison is pointless. Each situation is completely independent. All that matters is what can be controlled in the immediate, regardless of what hand you are dealt. That is how to assess the initial 8 games so to speak for any 1st year coach.
While this approach is completely rational, where’s the fun in that?!?! Lol

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Any method of comparison is pointless from the standpoint of the many variables and yet we are programmed subconsciously to seek a baseline.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Came here to post this. None of those coaches faced two potential playoff contenders and an LSU team that will probably end up with 9 to 10 wins through their first eight games.

Another way of looking at it, taking our
issues out of the equation, knowing what we now know about our opponents thus far, I’m not sure anyone would’ve predicted a substantially different record. The Uk game is inexcusable, and I think anything outside of 3-1 to finish is as well. But this start, plus a good Utah team, has been much different than we would’ve guessed.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Agree. I take solace in the fact that we had some absolutely crushing moments(blowouts) in ‘90 and some really ugly finishes in 2005(Msu, Vu, Lsu, Usce). Those are the only two coaches I am interested in comparing him to. How those other three clowns fared is a relevant to me.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
pretty much already been said but... pretty hard to compare them when:

1. Georgia is the strongest they have been in 40 years.

2. Tennessee is the strongest they have been in 20

3.Kentucky is the strongest they have been in god knows how long.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So we're off to our worst start since muschamp. That's encouraging. Our worst sec start since 1979. Also very encouraging. We're recruiting slightly better than mullen.
I'm sorry, I need to see something this next 4 games. We need something to hang our hat on going forward. Obviously it's early and we can improve. I just have to see it before I believe again. We've got 4 very winnable games left.

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So we're off to our worst start since muschamp. That's encouraging. Our worst sec start since 1979. Also very encouraging. We're recruiting slightly better than mullen.
I'm sorry, I need to see something this next 4 games. We need something to hang our hat on going forward. Obviously it's early and we can improve. I just have to see it before I believe again. We've got 4 very winnable games left.
Wrong. We’re recruiting light years better than Mullen. It’s not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.