NCAA Playoff Expansion

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
How the hell would they even format the 12 team playoff? Teams 1-4 get a bye then 1-4 play winners accordingly? If they didn't do it that way then teams would get byes in each round. Most years there's 3-5 teams capable of winning it all, not sure where the hell 12 came from.

I guess the only positive would be we would get higher ranked matchups at the end of the season instead of the bullshyt bowl games we currently get. Every year one or more of the major bowls has a stupid ass match up that only the under dogs fan base is even interested in watching. They would have to eliminate bowl tie-ins so no more 4 or 5 loss big 10/big 12 runner up playing in a game they have no business being in. Also it should drastically cut back on the "opt outs" of the top teams.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
There is a reason why College Football has the best and most meaningful regular season of any sport.

Every game matters. The whole season is a fcuking playoff.

In 1996, Peyton Manning's Vols lost in game 3 of the season to Wuerffel's Gators. The third game of the season decided the SEC East, the SEC, the Heisman, and the National Championship. That was a playoff game.

Nobody gives a sh!t if the Bucs play the Chiefs in the 3rd game of the NFL schedule.

The rule needs to be that you don't get into the playoffs if your regular season record isn't national championship worthy. I don't want to see a 3 loss team hang a championship banner.

The correct answer is 6 teams. Honor the regular season. The top two teams get first round byes. 6 plays at 3 and 5 plays at 4. The first round winners then play 1 and 2 according to seed and those winners play for the championship.

1 and 2 are rewarded with a first round bye. 3 and 4 are rewarded with a home game. 5 and 6 are rewarded with a chance.

If you aren't ranked in the top 6 of the final poll, then you don't deserve to win the National Championship.

Alex.

I agree with the place you are coming from...I dont agree with the use of the polls as the measuring stick. Want to make the regular season meaningful...win your conference. Let the polls decide the few at large picks but let the conference play (regular season) decide the automatic bids.

Also...personally, I don't mind it going to more than 6 or 8 teams. Let these poser teams get entry into the playoffs and then lets all enjoy them getting their azzes handed to them. If they are a legit team then they will win. Its more football, which is a good thing and it exposes the ridiculousness of the UCFs hanging their stupid banners. I would love to have watched UCF get a chance and then get their butts kicked. That would be awesome to see.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with the place you are coming from...I dont agree with the use of the polls as the measuring stick. Want to make the regular season meaningful...win your conference. Let the polls decide the few at large picks but let the conference play (regular season) decide the automatic bids.

Also...personally, I don't mind it going to more than 6 or 8 teams. Let these poser teams get entry into the playoffs and then lets all enjoy them getting their azzes handed to them. If they are a legit team then they will win. Its more football, which is a good thing and it exposes the ridiculousness of the UCFs hanging their stupid banners. I would love to have watched UCF get a chance and then get their butts kicked. That would be awesome to see.

Agree with Neteng, if we are doing 8 teams, the 5 Conference Champions, and then the 3 at large using the old BCS system, which made more sense than the playoff committee with obviously personal bias.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
The Top 10 is typically comprised of the same teams every year, with a handful of outliers.
Top 10? More like top 5-6. Expanding the playoff may break that logjam by creating the perception that more teams will have a shot at winning, which will lead to a wider distribution of top high school talent. In that sense the perception has the potential to become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Of course, that sort of visionary thinking is a tough sell on football fan message boards, which don't attract a lot of outside-the-box thinkers. A lot of guys here don't see it as a problem that the same 5-6 schools get all the top recruits and make the CFP every year; the only change they want to see is for UF to become one of those schools. But that's delusional if you understand anything about our administration and its priorities.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Agree with Neteng, if we are doing 8 teams, the 5 Conference Champions, and then the 3 at large using the old BCS system, which made more sense than the playoff committee with obviously personal bias.
That would be my preferred formula, too. The five P5 champs and then the next three highest-ranked teams regardless of conference.

I used to say, the five P5 champs, and then the highest-ranked G5 champ, and then the next two highest-ranked teams. But nahhh, if the highest-ranked G5 champ isn't ranked at least #8 overall, then too bad.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
That would be my preferred formula, too. The five P5 champs and then the next three highest-ranked teams regardless of conference.

I used to say, the five P5 champs, and then the highest-ranked G5 champ, and then the next two highest-ranked teams. But nahhh, if the highest-ranked G5 champ isn't ranked at least #8 overall, then too bad.
I think the East and West Champions from the SEC should be automatic qualifiers. Prove me wrong.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If they beat us, they can beat Ohio State and ND. Just sayin'.

To quote our resident Iggles fan favorite movie... on what ever drugs you are enjoying:

200.gif

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
All three Mullen teams would have made the playoffs, and all three didn't deserve a shot at the national title. Going by the end of season rankings:

First round Match-Ups :

2018: #10 UF vs #3 Norte Dame - Should have played them well they were overrated
2019: #9 UF vs #4 Oklahoma - A better offensive OU team
2020: #7 UF vs #6 Oklahoma - this is just humorous

Long-term, I think that actually benefits UF: it'll ensure we pick up more recruits and compensate for Mullen's recruiting and coaching deficiencies.

We likely win 2 of those 3 matchups; and advancing in the playoffs is key to selling the dream to recruits that *they* are going to be the difference-maker next season. Even a dumbazz, average recruiter can sell that message.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Long-term, I think that actually benefits UF: it'll ensure we pick up more recruits and compensate for Mullen's recruiting and coaching deficiencies.

We likely win 2 of those 3 matchups; and advancing in the playoffs is key to selling the dream to recruits that *they* are going to be the difference-maker next season. Even a dumbazz, average recruiter can sell that message.

I would say 1 of the 3. We have a shot against that overrated Notre Dame squad.... But our offense was hit and miss in 2019 (still better than almost decade before it). That Oklahoma team was better offensively than this years Oklahoma team. And this year, we would have hung in offensively, but our defense was schitt.

Also that means 8 other teams are selling themselves as playoffs teams to the recruits, and their staff might not have our staff's winning personality.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I would say 1 of the 3. We have a shot against that overrated Notre Dame squad.... But our offense was hit and miss in 2019 (still better than almost decade before it). That Oklahoma team was better offensively than this years Oklahoma team. And this year, we would have hung in offensively, but our defense was schitt.

Also that means 8 other teams are selling themselves as playoffs teams to the recruits, and their staff might not have our staff's winning personality.

I think we beat ND and this year's OK team (with all our regular starters, that's a *much* different game).

And yes, playoff expansion means 5-7 other teams are selling the same message in addition to the Bamas, OSUs, and Clemsons; but I think that sees recruiting become slightly more balanced overall.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think we beat ND and this year's OK team (with all our regular starters, that's a *much* different game).

And yes, playoff expansion means 5-7 other teams are selling the same message in addition to the Bamas, OSUs, and Clemsons; but I think that sees recruiting become slightly more balanced overall.

Our coaching showed its flaws against LSU, and without a defense... I don't think it would have been the prison rape we saw in December. But if we can't coach them up against a less than 53 man LSU squad at home, do we coach them against a more talented offensive play caller against the schit defense we put out there.

I don't think Oklahoma was special in the least this year, but there offense put up some scoring against defenses much better than ours. When our offense couldn't be the difference, which it wouldn't have been in this match... our defense wasn't the difference. But it would have been a fun game to watch, with a score around 52-45.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
As for the Cincinnatis, UCFs, and Boise States of the world, I don't give a fcuk if you went undefeated playing a high school schedule. You want in, schedule big games and win them.

None of this "one-for-one" ********. Cincinnati can go on the road at Ohio State without a return game. Go undefeated with a win in Columbus, then argue you deserve a shot. Don't whine that you didn't get in when your best win is Memphis or Houston. UCF can go to Athens or Baton Rouge, or at least try to get a neutral site game like a pre-season matchup against Clemson in Atlanta or Orlando or something. Nobody wants to hear your b!tching.

Alex.

I'm of the same mind as you; but in fairness to Boise and a Cincinnati, they do regularly schedule big conference opponents.

Cincy has two road games this year @Indiana and @Notre Dame. In 2019 (the last year OOC was a thing), they played UCLA and @OSU (got blasted, but still).

Boise has @UCF and home vs Oklahoma State this year; future home and homes with Oregon State and Michigan State (2022); vs UCF, Oregon State, and Michigan State in 2023 in consecutive weeks; in 2024/25, have a home and home with Oregon.

Mostly, the school that's ducking Power 5 opponents is UCF. The only big-name Power 5 school on their schedule is UNC in 2025 and 2027.

I don't have anything against mid-majors being given a spot if they've earned it and many of them at least try. FWIW, I happen to think the AAC is a better conference than the Pac 12.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
There is a reason why College Football has the best and most meaningful regular season of any sport.

Every game matters. The whole season is a fcuking playoff.

In 1996, Peyton Manning's Vols lost in game 3 of the season to Wuerffel's Gators. The third game of the season decided the SEC East, the SEC, the Heisman, and the National Championship. That was a playoff game.

Nobody gives a sh!t if the Bucs play the Chiefs in the 3rd game of the NFL schedule.

The rule needs to be that you don't get into the playoffs if your regular season record isn't national championship worthy. I don't want to see a 3 loss team hang a championship banner.

The correct answer is 6 teams. Honor the regular season. The top two teams get first round byes. 6 plays at 3 and 5 plays at 4. The first round winners then play 1 and 2 according to seed and those winners play for the championship.

1 and 2 are rewarded with a first round bye. 3 and 4 are rewarded with a home game. 5 and 6 are rewarded with a chance.

If you aren't ranked in the top 6 of the final poll, then you don't deserve to win the National Championship.

Alex.

If we have to expand I could live with that.

P.S. But I'd drop the regular season to 11 games.

P.S.S. And move FSU to early season.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There really should be a sarcasm font on this board. Some of you guys got no sense of humor.

I think this was more a knock on me than any suggestion you posted. You have to remember that @TheDouglas78 looks for any opportunity to take a shot at me. I imagine he even thinks of ways he can zing me in the evening while having dinner with his family. He's a tremendous competitor, but it's just taken over his entire life. I understand he's seeing a Buddhist about it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think this was more a knock on me than any suggestion you posted. You have to remember that @TheDouglas78 looks for any opportunity to take a shot at me. I imagine he even thinks of ways he can zing me in the evening while having dinner with his family. He's a tremendous competitor, but it's just taken over his entire life. I understand he's seeing a Buddhist about it.

You maybe my favorite Iggles fan sofla. But not even in the top 3 on people I look to zing on this site.

As far as Budha, I wear one around my neck and have since 99.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Rent free Baby. Be proud.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Sounds like all the people here would prefer to go back to the days of letting sportswriters select the mythical National Champion. Bowl games are a waste of time, eliminate all of them. A twelve team playoff is reasonable, do it. Oh yeah I almost forgot every other sport in the NCAA has a champion determined by a playoff, every single sport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator