NCAA to pass rule to try and cut down on grad transfers?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
N.C.A.A. Clock May Be Running Out on Graduate Transfers

The graduate transfer rule, the rare N.C.A.A. regulation that gives leverage to the athlete, has been used by hundreds of players since it was relaxed in 2011. And at a moment when athletic admission graft, shoe company payola and questions about whether a transcendent (and unpaid) figure like Zion Williamson should even risk playing college basketball at all, the graduate transfer rule casts the beleaguered N.C.A.A. as reasonable and almost munificent.

It is also a rule that may not last much longer.

In two weeks, the N.C.A.A.’s primary legislative body, the Division I Council, will vote on a measure that could severely restrict graduate transfers. The proposed rule change would require that colleges accepting graduate transfers be docked a scholarship the next year if the transfer does not earn his secondary degree within a year.....

The rule itself seems to have come straight from the mouth of Kentucky Coach John Calipari, who suggested to ESPN in 2016 — long before the committee began its work — that “if the kid gets his grad degree in one year, fine; if he doesn’t, you’ve got to use the scholarship for two years.”
----------------------

I wonder how much this will affect football if it does pass as some think it will. I would think a player you already know what you are getting may be worth the scholarship loss the next year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So silly.

They cant even enforce the "sit out a year" rule as it is.

Just bulldoze the Ncaa.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
So silly.

They cant even enforce the "sit out a year" rule as it is.

Just bulldoze the Ncaa.

I thought the NCAA was big on graduation rates. (As an academic I worry about the incentive/pressure to graduate athletes this focus on athlete graduation rates creates.) The graduate transfer rule is great for graduation rates as it gives student athletes who otherwise might not care a reason to be students. I wonder how much graduation rates have gone up since the graduate transfer rule has gone into effect?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
So stupid. If the grad-transfer doesn't get his degree....because he leaves for the NFL or any other reason, that's on the school?

Didn't something like this previously exist? When Halter and the LB transfer from Ga Tech that never did sh*t didn't graduate we couldn't take a grad transfer for a year or something - then we asked for a waiver of the rule?

So much stupidity by the NCAA, especially after letting Fields and Martel play immediately because they got their feelings hurt.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So stupid. If the grad-transfer doesn't get his degree....because he leaves for the NFL or any other reason, that's on the school?

Didn't something like this previously exist? When Halter and the LB transfer from Ga Tech that never did sh*t didn't graduate we couldn't take a grad transfer for a year or something - then we asked for a waiver of the rule?

So much stupidity by the NCAA, especially after letting Fields and Martel play immediately because they got their feelings hurt.

I think they had a rule if you have so many players take a grand transfer you lose the ability to take a grad transfer for a year or two

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
What a stupid rule by the NCAA.

If the player Graduated what is the big deal?

What will happen is some schools will create a "Real Easy" Post Grad Degree...The Master of Sports Experience. You have to write a Thesis on what it is/was like to be part of a team. OR compare and contrast two sports programs.

Last edited:

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
The rule itself seems to have come straight from the mouth of Kentucky Coach John Calipari, who suggested to ESPN in 2016 — long before the committee began its work — that “if the kid gets his grad degree in one year, fine; if he doesn’t, you’ve got to use the scholarship for two years.”
----------------------
Maybe the NCAA should cut schollies for too many "one and dones" to the NBA!

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
The NCAA is idiotic to even considering any change, this rule is to make the players more free, not less.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I think that was an SEC rule if you had too many not get their grad degree.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
N.C.A.A. Clock May Be Running Out on Graduate Transfers

The graduate transfer rule, the rare N.C.A.A. regulation that gives leverage to the athlete, has been used by hundreds of players since it was relaxed in 2011. And at a moment when athletic admission graft, shoe company payola and questions about whether a transcendent (and unpaid) figure like Zion Williamson should even risk playing college basketball at all, the graduate transfer rule casts the beleaguered N.C.A.A. as reasonable and almost munificent.

It is also a rule that may not last much longer.

In two weeks, the N.C.A.A.’s primary legislative body, the Division I Council, will vote on a measure that could severely restrict graduate transfers. The proposed rule change would require that colleges accepting graduate transfers be docked a scholarship the next year if the transfer does not earn his secondary degree within a year.....

----------------------

I wonder how much this will affect football if it does pass as some think it will. I would think a player you already know what you are getting may be worth the scholarship loss the next year.

F Calipari, if he wants grad transfers to earn a secondary degree in one year or lose a scholarship for the following year he should have to use a scholarship for two years on his one and dones, who aren’t earning any degrees.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, hilarious that GTs MUST earn a degree but undergrads can stay 5-6 years, still not earn a degree sometimes and the school face no punishment.

Hell, could you imagine if the made Banmer players prove they can read and spell much less pass a CLAST or similiar with no assistance. Hell I cringe when I hear some of our guys conversating.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just to have experienced players, Calipari has petitioned UK to establish a special diploma for staying 2 years.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
This is BS. What Grad degrees can you get in a year anyways. Rule should stay as is imo
Yeah I don't get this. I assumed maybe for liberal arts you could get a Master's in one year. Even with the demands of playing football. But an Engineering post grad takes a year and a half and you damn sure don't have time to play football.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I wrote my thesis on "The Demonstrative Impact of Invisible Ink." It was an unseemly expose'.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Lots of them. Plenty of non-thesis degrees. Most of those can be knocked out in a fall-spring-summer. I’m enrolled in one now.

Yes there are plenty of worthless graduate degrees, difficult (that are worth getting) ones generally take more than one year.

Apparently I am living in the past, I saw a lot advertised as one year, I did look and saw 48 credit hours which is probably 4 semesters.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Yes there are plenty of worthless graduate degrees, difficult (that are worth getting) ones generally take more than one year.
Opinions are like *******s...

Also of note... same thing on a resume. So... don’t care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator